thoughts on 20 round Metal saiga .308 mags

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WW1 and WW2 could be justified for US involvement, unlike the current Iraq "conflict".

[zen] Information! [/zen]   I bought a battlepack of .308 today, mostly to demonstrate to a gun-ignorant friend exactly what a (strip)clip is.   In doing so, I've decided that it would be quite c

Damn good idea if you ask me. There are tons of 10 round strip clips out there. They save tons of time at the range actually. And they are legal to transport in the car "loaded" in my nazi state, s

Posted Images

May well be getting a dozen if they work as well as I hope.

As for BHO on a mag I detest them. All the spring tension is held against the mag and makes the swap more difficult. 100 million AKs out there work great without the feature and cant see fooling with it but then Im no marketing guy just a shooter.

Any US parts we could use is fine but most only have one Saiga mag and I dont rely on mags for compliance anyway but some may.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Ordered two at 90.00 to check them out.

As for mag size a five rd or a filler plate on a ten rd to prevent loading more for hunting would be a good addition as some states don't allow more for that purpose. A ten rounder of course for states that don't allow 20s and range use as sometimes its difficult to shoot prone with longer mags. After 20 rounds the weight can be an issue with 308 as its a fairly heavy round but some just like as much ammo as possible.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Ok, I actually had the stupid paypal specify an old address.. So after negotiating with some people who live there now, I actually got the magazines.

My first impression is wow. That is some nice welding and sheet metal fabrication. Good job Csspecs.

I managed to fit 22 rounds in each magazine, thats nice too. However, I did do a few slight slight modifications to one. In particular I installed a side windows to see your rounds.

IMG_0709.jpg

In this picture you can see the unmodified mag on the bottom and the one I modified on the top. There are 22 rounds, and the bottom of the lowest window co-inside with the bottom of the 22nd round. So when the mag is full it lines up with the bottom. :alucard:

Oh and I do like the blueing, but I think I will duracoat them to match the rifle, once I am done cycle testing them a few times to make sure everything works after the mod.

Second mod I did was to round off some sharp corners on a bottom that looked like this:

IMG_0714.jpg

and now they look like this:

IMG_0712.jpg

That really should help a lot not to get the clothing or gear snagged up on it.

And the last but not least is the magazines in the rifle itself:

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Modified mag.

IMG_0718.jpg

And the regular one.

I must say I am not criticizing you, in any way. I just always wanted some windows on a mag for this saiga. I tested and cycled the mag about 5 times so far to see if the follower will stick or snag on the window and it works flawlessly. I am sure based on previous reviews that I should not have any problems at the range.

Edited by Deussne

Deussne,

What are those blocks you put on your Beryl-style rail to hike up the scope rings to clear the rear sight?

I am planning on a big scope on a dogleg rail from texas weapons systems and was wondering how would I be able to clear the rear sight obstruction.

Thank you.

Deussne,

What are those blocks you put on your Beryl-style rail to hike up the scope rings to clear the rear sight?

I am planning on a big scope on a dogleg rail from texas weapons systems and was wondering how would I be able to clear the rear sight obstruction.

Thank you.

Its not really a block, those are the bases for the two of my quick detatch rings.

Something like this, and they come with different adapters which allow you to lower or raise the scope.

ap10950.jpg

Deussne,

Thank you.

Its not really a block, those are the bases for the two of my quick detatch rings.

Something like this, and they come with different adapters which allow you to lower or raise the scope.

ap10950.jpg

Thank man! This helps a lot.

Before any one else cuts holes in the mags you might want to consider the amount of dirt and debris that will get into the mag. Just a thought.

+1

Chauchat, from WWI. Frenchies loved it so much for constant jams. All countries learned from that disaster

FM%20CSRG%2015%20Chauchat-VD-WEB3.JPG

Oh great now I am going to get a yelling. :) Just kidding. I can tell you for sure I am not going to be throwing my gun, or any of the magazines in the dirt. But you give an absolutly valid piont. For a combat gun that might be a problem. For me, shooting off a bench, its not. :)

Thats a cool mod.. How did you cut the slots?

I swear I asked everyone for months if the address that came with the payment was in fact current... I got a number of somewhat angry replies so I stopped asking, guess I need to just ask every time to be on the safe side.

And sorry about the edges. I've found a number of the floor plates slipped past a step where the edges are sanded off, they did not feel sharp to me at the time and I did not catch it. I have a fix for it, we are dressing the edge and then using a bluing touch up on the edge. The original black oxide finish seems to wear off the edge of the floor plate pretty quickly anyway so it will not change what they look like very much.

Chauchat used the 8 mm Lebel that is rimmed, in a long single stack. I can't see a reason why that gun would ever be reliable, funny to think that with a home brew modified hunting rifle and a handful of after market mags you would have a rifle that would be completely revolutionary... Heck the few reject mags in every batch that I smash with a hammer would probably have the Chauchat gunners of WW1 very happy and praising the reliability.

How did the makers of the Chauchat sleep at night? they sent people to their deaths because of that pathetic design. Everything about the gun sucked, its almost as if they made it and never bothered to test one.

Edited by csspecs

I swear I asked everyone for months if the address that came with the payment was in fact current... I got a number of somewhat angry replies so I stopped asking, guess I need to just ask every time to be on the safe side.

And sorry about the edges. I've found a number of the floor plates slipped past a step where the edges are sanded off, they did not feel sharp to me at the time and I did not catch it. I have a fix for it, we are dressing the edge and then using a bluing touch up on the edge. The original black oxide finish seems to wear off the edge of the floor plate pretty quickly anyway so it will not change what they look like very much.

Chauchat used the 8 mm Lebel that is rimmed, in a long single stack. I can't see a reason why that gun would ever be reliable, funny to think that with a home brew modified hunting rifle and a handful of after market mags you would have a rifle that would be completely revolutionary... Heck the few reject mags in every batch that I smash with a hammer would probably have the Chauchat gunners of WW1 very happy and praising the reliability.

How did the makers of the Chauchat sleep at night? they sent people to their deaths because of that pathetic design. Everything about the gun sucked, its almost as if they made it and never bothered to test one.

The point I was trying to make was not about the quality of you mags, but opening of mag side walls. Thus is the example of Chauchat. It was the only rifle to have open magazines.

Trust me, if I had any doubt about your product I would not insist on 10-rounders. I really-really want to put my hands on your mags.

BTW, if any one is interested, cope's has G3 "rusted" mags for 1.99, and russian 7.62x39 bakelite which is really rare find

Csspecs, I cut the slots on one of the magazine by doing this. I inserted a wood piece roughly the same thickness as the opening inside the magazine. That way the mag would not cave in. Then I drilled (4) holes on my drill press. Afterward I used a dremmel with a cutoff wheel to connect the dots. Pretty easy process. I did have to file some burring from the inside in order to allow the follower to slide back and forth easy.

You know I love these magazines, I will never ever buy a polymer one after holding one of yours. They are absolutely the best there are for a 308 saiga right now. The mod I did was for my own itching hands. I tend to modify or butcher everything that I touch, but I have been like that since childhood. In fact I need to talk to you about ordering two more. :dollar:

As previously discussed there is a possibility of dirt getting inside the magazine. But, I am not concerned about it with my shooting surroundings. Since I am not going to be sitting in any trench or crawl though any field.

I do have a question. How do you cut your sheet metal? Do you have a cnc cutter?

As far as wrong address goes, well Its my fault, I did not look at the shipping address with paypal, and for some random reason it used my old address, I use paypal quite a lot and it never did that. Who knows what happened, but I am just glad I got the mags from those people. Even though they opened the box, and when I showed up they were scared and told me they never saw a thing and will never tell anyone whats inside... Its not like its something illegal. Oh, and later I found out that those people now think that I am a Russian mobster.. LOL So weird.

The real tragedy of WW1 was that the US troops were forced to leave those fine Browning Automatic Rifles at home because the silly politicians didnt want the Germans to get their hands on them, now there's great minds for you. So they were forced to use the Chauchat and the rest is history. Cost a lot of guys their life.

Anyway thought there was something missed on the new mags, no worries we know you will get it fixed. Know how hard it is to start up a new product, thanks for making the effort.

The real tragedy of WW1 was that the US troops were forced to leave those fine Browning Automatic Rifles at home because the silly politicians didnt want the Germans to get their hands on them, now there's great minds for you. So they were forced to use the Chauchat and the rest is history. Cost a lot of guys their life.

Anyway thought there was something missed on the new mags, no worries we know you will get it fixed. Know how hard it is to start up a new product, thanks for making the effort.

Not to derail the thread, but it was production problems that kept the BAR out of France - Browning was maxed out making Vickers machine guns for the British.

Edited to add: the fear of German capture is mentioned as a partial reason in the Wikipedia article under the deployment section, but there isn't any source or attribution for it. Production problems strike me as far more likely, considering how few machine guns the US military fielded at the time.

Edited by protected static

Well to the exact reason all I go in is what my Grandfather said about the situation. He was very upset whenever he talked about it and had choice words on the matter. They were very excited about the rifle and extremely upset when they were shipped out sans BAR and had to use that French pos(his words were much more descriptive). So I dont know what exactly the truth is but Im more inclined to believe it was stupidity that had a large hand in the issue. Either way it was a shame that rifle could have really shortened the war if introduced earlier or the troop deployments delayed until it was ready would have saved a lot of American lives. It was in his opinion just that good a weapon. BTW he managed to keep one when he came out but my idiot cousin turned it in when he got it after granddad died. Man he took care of that rifle, I saw it when it was 43 years old and it looked brand new. Those were better times.

Sorry for the hijack.

The real tragedy of WW1 was that the US troops were forced to leave those fine Browning Automatic Rifles at home . . .

No, the real tragedy of WWI was that the U.S. got involved in a fight that was not ours the results of which included WWII and the expansive growth of the federal government at home.

As for the magazines, I just ordered four for my son who will be headed to Ft Hood shortly after which he'll be going to the "sandbox". I'm anxious to take him, his new mags, and his Saiga .308 to the range to see how they perform.

The real tragedy of WW1 was that the US troops were forced to leave those fine Browning Automatic Rifles at home . . .

No, the real tragedy of WWI was that the U.S. got involved in a fight that was not ours the results of which included WWII and the expansive growth of the federal government at home.

WW1 and WW2 could be justified for US involvement, unlike the current Iraq "conflict".

Edited by Pointer55
  • Like 1

Went to the range today. We had some fun. Shot the 308 with your mags and they worked great. Nice little feature that I noticed was, a last round bolt hold open!!!! It is really sweeet. Bolt locks on the metal mag in the open position, all you do is push the BHO lever up and pull the mag out, the bolt will move forward about 1/2" and lock on the lever. SOOO nice.

Here are some vids. Ignore my crappy shooting, this was the very first time I shot my converted 308 and was a little scared to do so with new muzzle brake attached. Later (not shown) I went all out and fired off 2 consecutive magazines, which in turn started to make my handguard smoke and melt. My gun almost cought on fire! I set it down on a rest and it was smoking!!!!! :D:lol:

th_SSPX0045.jpg

th_SSPX0044.jpg

Edited by Deussne