LATEST SAGA OF S.G. AMMO HUNT

On Feb 28 I ordered 1000 rounds of wolf H.P. from Sportsmans Guide for around $216? and they told me that it was backordered till March 16th...no big deal right? Well, just got off the phone to check the status and make sure of the date. The fella told me that it was now backordered for July!!! I told him to cancel the order and did he have ANY that was in stock? He had just sold some FMJ to a man 500/$104+ He tried to give me the item number and couldn't pull it up for anything, but he was able to place the order and it WAS in stock, so we'll see. RANT OFF..

Gawd, it is difficult right now, huh!

I wouldn't cancel the order. Ammo won't get any cheaper.

Cabela's and Sportsmans Guide are doing the same thing. Letting people place orders before they have anything in hand.

With Cabela's I went through the same thing. Ordered back in early December and just got it delivered a week ago.

As soon as they get a delivery of the ammo its split up for backorders and shipped out.

You just have to wait your turn...

If you need ammo right this second pay more for a FTF from a forum.

When Cabela's has another "free shipping" or "whatever% off" deal I'll grab another 1K of Wolf from them.

Here's what I want to know. Why aren't the ammo importers bringing in hundreds of thousands of cases of 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 7.62x51 ammo by now from Russia, as well as eastern Europe? They've had months and months to do this, if every ammo plant in those countries were cranking out ammo in those calibers as fast as they can (which they would be if they were getting gigantic orders from the U.S.) and sending them here, then we should have a cargo ships full of ammo regularly hitting our shores by now.

Anyone who knows anything about the huge demand for ammo that has been going on for months now, knows that the ammo importers and wholesalers will very quickly sell every single case of those calibers they can import. So what the heck is taking so long for vast amounts of this ammo to be imported??

Because with a stroke of a pen those millions of rounds of ammo in the ship coming across the sea might have to turn back for the motherland.

Clinton did the same thing to the Chinese..

Because with a stroke of a pen those millions of rounds of ammo in the ship coming across the sea might have to turn back for the motherland.

+1. It's going to be a long four years for gun owners. :ded:

I don't deal with Sportsman's Guide anymore, had some bad customer service awhile back; in the end I said, since you can't resolve this issue, I'll take my $200+ orders somewhere else.

I always keep an eye on gun-deals.com, if you create an account, you can setup an RSS feed for your particular ammo needs.

I ordered 1,000 rounds of Wolf from Sportsmansguide back in December 08. After shipping/handlind and with member disount and a discount coupon it came to $212.70. Kept getting backordered with the latest estimate for delivery in mid March. I was in Germany all last week, get home around 7:00 pm Friday night and the wife says there's a package for me. It's still right next to the front door, too heavy for her to move and yes, it's 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39....sweet.

If you have stuff on backorder from Sportsmansguide, keep your order in, it will eventually come in. If you cancel the order there's no gaurantee you'll get any from another source and prices just keep going up.

Edited by Myetball

Well, as I said, I talked to customer service last night and he swore that they had some fmj in stock for $104+ /1000, and I placed an order. I called this afternoon and the order is being processed, the ammo is in stock and it will ship out this evening or tomorrow one. BIG SIGH! I'm glad that it will finally be here next week, the rifle will be here tomorrow. I had to take a chance and cancel the other order to afford the new order. I've bought three saigas counting this one in the last several months plus 1000 rounds of ammo for each and the funds are really tight now. Thanks for the advice and the sympathy!

I ordered 1,000 rounds of Wolf from Sportsmansguide back in December 08. After shipping/handlind and with member disount and a discount coupon it came to $212.70. Kept getting backordered with the latest estimate for delivery in mid March. I was in Germany all last week, get home around 7:00 pm Friday night and the wife says there's a package for me. It's still right next to the front door, too heavy for her to move and yes, it's 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39....sweet.

If you have stuff on backorder from Sportsmansguide, keep your order in, it will eventually come in. If you cancel the order there's no gaurantee you'll get any from another source and prices just keep going up.

Hopefully I'm next in line. Ordered 4k rds. of x39 Wolf on December 13th for $208.97 per 1000. (locked in for free shipping last Christmas.)Been told a few times by Sportsmansguide the magic date was May 5th, for scheduled delivery.

My only regret now, is that I didn't at least triple the order at that price. I hope like hell they don't bump it up to July. I hate surprises, so I'm not gonna call and ask them if it's still due to arrive in May.

before i got my saiga i shot 8mm mauser. it's a sad time when it's cheaper to buy 8mm bullets than it is 7.62...

at least with 8mm you can still find the old eastern european milsurp packs at most gun stores. i went to my local store the other day looking for 7.62 and they tried to sell me a 20 pack of Fiocchi for 10 bucks. no way.

c

According to my friend John, the owner of the local gunshop, one problem is that since the inauguration, customs is now opening and inspecting every container of firearms and ammo coming in. It is causing a backup in customs. That goes alon g with several places that have told me their shipments of even non-evil type firearms are tied up in customs. Another example of Liberal fear of guns and finding a way to slow up the proliferation.

It is funny, coming from Military then Law Enforcement where the rank in file are generally gun oriented and gun savvy, I went into teaching History and Government after I retired. Educators are very liberal. No one that I work with even know I own a gun or hunt, and many think us gun owners are evil and crazy. If they knew I had an AK, an AR, and an M1 carbine, I would probably be ostracized! I was once chastised for pointing out that the "Shots heard around the world" fired at Lexington and Concord during the American Revolution was when British troops went to seize the Colonists weapons and powder. It was "too second amendment" :cryss:

Edited by imarangemaster

+1. It's going to be a long four years for gun owners. :ded:

You really believe there will ever be another election? Seriously? Wake up and smell the communism my friend, to paraphrase Mearle Haggard, "the good times really are over for good."

Well, this evening, I heard the UPS truck come lumbering down the drive, and what did he bring me? 1000 rounds of Barnaul 123 grain FMJ for $204, thats what!! Boy, I hope I can run across another deal like that!!

I have some FMJ, but I can't find any soft point anywhere. FMJ is useless for anything other than target practice.

quote: "FMJ is useless for anything other than target practice."

Oh really? How about a life or death scenario, where the bad guys are in a vehicle. FMJ's have a great chance of making an engine stopping, and easily penetrating car doors, making the bad guys stop, or confuse -n- hurt the hell outta. In a bad guy situation, they might be hiding behind certain materials (layers of sheetrock, drum barrels, brush, etc. ) that would cause hollow or soft pointed bullets to discinergrate, while FMJ rounds can pierce thru, and get to.

Take some telephone books, soak them underwater for a day, tightly wrap them in plastic, and fire both FMJ and soft points at any given distance, and see which one goes further, and does more damage.

I have also shot FMJ 7.62 x 39mm 100 yds. THROUGH 3/8" angle iron.

Edited by fffpatriot

Yeah, it was strange when I called to check on the order! The cus. ser. rep told me that he had just sold an order of this to a customer before me and tried to pull the item number up, but he couldn't get it pulled up. Then he gave me the item number for me to pull up...wouldn't do it. He assured me that it was in stock and there was plenty of it at that time, so I went ahead and took a chance on it...sure enough, got an e-mail showing that it was in stock and would be shipped. Here's the order confirmation sans my personal info.

Order Details:

Qty Product Size Color Unit Price Unit Tax Total Price Status

2 WX2-136734

500rd 7.62x39 123gr Fmj Ammo $102.57 $0.00 $205.14 In-Stock

Merchandise Total: $205.14

Sales Tax: $0.00

Shipping and Handling: $17.49 (Ship Method: Ground)

Package Protection: $0.99

----------------------- --------------

Grand Total: $223.62

Enjoy the Outdoors!

The Sportsman's Guide - A Catalog & Internet Company

The Lowest Prices, Best Quality, Guaranteed!

Visit our Fun to Browse Web site at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Had a $10.00 coupon so it dropped tp $213.62.....guess I just lucked up and called about my order on the right night and talked to the right customer service agent! :super:

P.s. Had ordered some wolf 223 for my cousin a week or so ago, and they said it would be at least June 1st before it was in and it shipped today! Go figure!

Edited by unclejake
  • 1 year later...

Hopefully both the supply and price situation will continue to improve, surely by now supply has caught up with demand and thus prices should fall even more. When the prices get back where they should be, then everyone can really stock up. :) Sportsman's Guide usually has reasonable prices it seems, maybe not always the lowest, but not too far off.