I was in the gun shop last weekend and saw that they stocked up on Saigas again. Now, they have a Saiga 12 in stock, brand new for $559. I love the S12 but here's the catch - I live in NJ! This means I can't go over 6 rd mags, cannot add a pistol grip, etc or anything. Is the S12 still worth getting? I guess I could put a rail on it and have a light on it. Or honestly, would I be better off with something like a mossberg 500/rem 870 that I COULD add a pistol grip to?

There is nothing wrong with a Mossberg or Remington Shotgun for self defense. I was trained on a Remmy 870 at the Academy and carried one everyday I was on patrol. The Saiga is simply a different animal. The knock on shotguns have always been capacity...not firepower. The Siaga allows you the option of a 20 round drum. While the standard 5 rounds of the Saiga and similar capacity of other shotguns will handle almost any situation having more rounds on tap is never a bad thing. I just purchased a Saiga-12 last week and haven't even shot it yet. I have been wrestling with the idea of just sitting it back NIB as an investment since it looks things are getting ready to go backward for our recently established 2nd Amendment Right to own firearms. Stupid me, I thought the Bill of Rights established gun ownership as a right back around 1791.

Like I stated above, I have nothing but respect for a Mossberg or Remington shotgun. The Siaga, with its ability to add hi-cap and drum magazines for serious SHTF situations would be comforting to have in hand. Lastly, there is also the very real possibility these could be barred from future importation. I have bought several firearms over the last 2-3 years as investments. Some scoff at this practice but I seem to be seeing a greater appreciation on my firearm speculation as opposed to playing the stock market.

Saiga S12's are a blast to shoot with or without a PG

Go get it and enjoy

HarvKY

+1 I live in a similarly unenlightened jurisdiction, but I wouldn't trade. Plus that's a good deal in the present circumstances, and you will very likely still be able to get one of those other toys after the current Congress ends if you want to.

I do feel badly about insulting the integrity of Kalashnikov's design, but that feeling usually passes after a few rounds.

Buy it.....NOW!!! Seems like a good price. You know the old saying "you snooze you loose"

you will have shotgun that will increase in value (after the commies ban it) and I don't think they will get to the mossberg pumps for a while and you can buy one later.....

just my 2 cents

Unless your State really gets crazy, you should be able to get a pump gun later if you want. You may not be able to find S-12s easilly if they ban importation of them though. Banning importation is easier to do (I think) than banning the gun itself. I might be wrong there, but that's what I think.

Could you save money and get a pump gun? Yeah. Even with a 6 shot capacity, the Saiga will still have it beat for reloading speed and rapid fire. And, if the State ever gets less restrictive, you can enjoy a full conversion and a 20 round drum.

My opinion is to get one. I might be a bit bias though. I've only had one for a bit over a month now and I hardly shoot anything else.

Corbin

I was in the gun shop last weekend and saw that they stocked up on Saigas again. Now, they have a Saiga 12 in stock, brand new for $559. I love the S12 but here's the catch - I live in NJ! This means I can't go over 6 rd mags, cannot add a pistol grip, etc or anything. Is the S12 still worth getting? I guess I could put a rail on it and have a light on it. Or honestly, would I be better off with something like a mossberg 500/rem 870 that I COULD add a pistol grip to?

Do you want it for a fun shooter, home defense, hunting or all the above?

I own several pumps and S-12's. And like Corbin said, you can (most likely) get the pump later.

GET THE S-12! Faster FULL reloads and faster follow-up shots, unless you are WELL trained/practiced with the pumps.

I sold my Remington 870 Tactical because the saiga 12 is so much more comfortable to shoot and damn accurate! I can get 5" groups at 100 yds. with slugs.That should be handy hunting in N.J.

Unless your State really gets crazy, you should be able to get a pump gun later if you want. You may not be able to find S-12s easilly if they ban importation of them though. Banning importation is easier to do (I think) than banning the gun itself. I might be wrong there, but that's what I think.

Corbin is right there. A ban on importation could be done by executive order. No chance for a vote on the floor, no calling your representative to vote against it, all in one day you could be SOL on getting a Saiga.

if you get a mossberg, i would recommend the 590 8+1 shot. i have one, an 870, and a saiga 12. all quality shotguns. if i had to get rid of one, it wouldn't be the saiga that's for sure.

12x23.jpg

Edited by Snoofer