Phase III near complete -- this time photos!

Okay, I got busy in the last week, and spent a couple of evenings actually cutting metal and making things.

Removed the trigger guard and FCG.

Found a Tapco single hook FCG at a local shop cheaper than I could get on the internet--scooped it up.

Needed this to do the layout for a new trigger guard.

Am basing it partly on the Tromix design.

Cleaned off the base of the reciever and swabbed it with a little layout blue.

Layed out the pistol grip nut hole and cut this out. First drilled four small holes in each corner, then cut it roughly to size with the dremmel.

Filed out the remaining material to the edge of the layout marks.

Deviated off the flight plan with the retaining spring however.

Didn't know if or where I could get an alternative, so I drilled and tapped out the old pin (4-40 threads).

Carefully (by hand) counter sunk the reciever (and the end of the pin) so that the when the screw is tightened, it becomes tight in the reciever.

This was hard to do. See the photos.

Found a piece of scrap sheet metal the correct thickness and cut a blank.

Made a pattern and bent the metal to match the paper pattern.

I was going to make the new trigger guard come down on the trigger side of the mag-latch, then spot weld it in place, but I didn't like the look (too thick).

So in mid-stream I decided to make the trigger guard come directly into the top of the mag catch.

I'll cut it off and weld it in place with a tiny OOOO or OOOOO zero welding tip.

A friend has a micro setup and I'm going there tomorrow.

I'm going to polish this trigger guard down more so that the edges of the metal are slighly thinner than the middle.

Then the edges will be rounded and polished--I'm kinda sick of the rough metal on AK's.

Found an SKS muzzle break in my big pile of stuff and decided to adapt it to the Saiga.

This thing was made by some US maker in the early 90's, but it looked totally stupid on my SKS.

I cut the twist locks off on a lathe and bored out the brake.

I made it go on with a two stage press fit... it initially goes on with little effort (interference fit), then tightens up.

Did this to make installation easier.

Will use some brass shim stock when I fit it on for the final time.

It will be held in place with small tack welds top and bottom.

This way if I don't like it--it can easily be replaced.

Didn't want to cut threads on the barrrel--wanted to keep options open.

Let me know what you think so far.

Sorry photos are backwards in order.

FRT

post-5387-1236224271_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224286_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224302_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224323_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224334_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224350_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224365_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224381_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224396_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224415_thumb.jpg

post-5387-1236224433_thumb.jpg

Edited by fiveringstakezo
Looks like a California build there, Buddy. Is that a Raddlock in place?

Yes that is a Rad-lock.

And I'll never take it to the range without more than a 10 rounder (USA made) mag in the thing.

Although I have a pile of pre-ban Chinese intermediate mags (type without the back ridge), they don't see the light of day in CA.

And if they rule against the rad lock... off comes the pistol grip and on goes a monster grip.

Or no grip at all.

There's an evil thought growing in my brain about something along the lines of a monster grip.

Something easier to use--something you can actually put your hand around that would be legal.

I may make it and let you guys give me feedback.

This is a SHTF weapon... if you get my drift.

It and the optics will get zeroed and then put away.

I think you all should have this in mind now.

Take a look at the latest from one of my (reliable) news sources....

http://market-ticker.org/archives/852-What...-All-Of-It.html

Back onto subject:

And I also like the radlock because it comes with a pin and circle clip.

If I decide to go out of state (which I do quite often), I can easly change out the rad-lock and install the regular mag-latch with this set-up.

In fact I am thinking of making a mag-latch pin with a more easily removable spring-clip on it to accomplish this goal.

Question: how many 922r parts does a USA made AK mag count for? 1? 2? 3?

Latest update.... I remade the trigger guard. The one shown in the photo above was the first attempt, and I got a little carried away with the polishing and smoothing; and it got a little thin at the edges--too much for my taste, and too much so that it started to loose the military look. The new one has sharper angle bends, and will attach to the mag-latch housing at an accute angle (not rounded).

A photo will be provided in a few days once I get my hand on my friend's metal brake (which is needed to make this last sharp bend).

Also I am going to loose the collar around the rear end of the muzzle break.

It will just angle in and blend into the diameter of the shroud around the front sight post.

Still a little more work to do.

T

Edited by fiveringstakezo

Yes that is a Rad-lock--and I was surprised on how easy it was to install--took 5 minutes!

And I'll never take it to the range without more than a 10 rounder (USA made) mag in the thing.

Although I have a pile of pre-ban Chinese intermediate mags (type without the back ridge), they don't see the light of day in CA.

And if they rule against the rad lock... off comes the pistol grip and on goes a monster grip.

Or no grip at all.

There's an evil thought growing in my brain about something along the lines of a monster grip.

Something easier to use--something you can actually put your hand around that would be legal.

I may make it and let you guys give me feedback.

Back onto subject:

And I also like the radlock because it comes with a pin and circle clip.

If I decide to go out of state (which I do quite often), I can easly change out the rad-lock and install the regular mag-latch with this set-up.

In fact I am thinking of making a mag-latch pin with a more easily removable spring-clip on it to accomplish this goal.

Question: how many 922r parts does a USA made AK mag count for? 1? 2? 3?

Latest update.... I remade the trigger guard. The one shown in the photo above was the first attempt, and I got a little carried away with the polishing and smoothing; and it got a little thin at the edges--too much for my taste, and too much so that it started to loose the military look. The new one has sharper angle bends, and will attach to the mag-latch housing at an accute angle (not rounded).

A photo will be provided in a few days once I get my hand on my friend's metal brake (which is needed to make this last sharp bend).

Also I am going to loose the collar around the rear end of the muzzle break.

It will just angle in and blend into the diameter of the shroud around the front sight post.

Still a little more work to do.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that is a Rad-lock.

Or no grip at all......

Thats exactly the reason why I haven't converted my .308 Besides with the lousy 10rnd mags I am stuck with, I really need to have the ability to use a mag release.

That's also the same reason I am stocking up as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Regardless of what your ticker says, just one big earthquake here in California is enough to make all hell break loose. Cops will be too busy saving their asses to worry about your somewhat illegal build. That's what I am saving all my "evil" stuff for. Looters = Zombies