So yesterday was filled with firsts for me. My first Saiga, first conversion, first post on the forum. Today was another first. First day at the range!

I swung by Wally world to pick up some cheap stuff, mostly because everywhere else I had been in town only had slugs or sabots @ ~10-$15 for a box of 5! :dollar:

I loaded my Surefire 12RDr's and set the target at 50'. The last thing I wanted to do is miss the paper on my first shots, lol! After getting kicked by the mule the first time, I went to pull the trigger for the second shot. The problem is that when I released the trigger, it remained in the rear position. I cleared the firearm, popped off the dust cover and tried to see if I could figure out what was going on.

It appears as though the Mainspring may be interfering with the sear releasing the trigger, this does not allow it to move into firing position. I found that if I manually tap the trigger forward, I can fire the next round. The thing is, I have to do this for every shot after I rack the first shell from the mag! :eek:

The next problem that I had, was that out of 50 rounds, I had 3 Failure to Chamber malfunctions. I was shooting high brass 2 3/4" slugs with the gas selector on position 1.

I know these are 2 serious issues, but it didn't keep me from enjoying myself. I'm sure that I'm not the first person this has happened to, and that someone will either offer advice, or that I will eventually find a thread that will help me fix everything. :super:

Thanks in advance to anyone wanting to help a brother out!

It appears as though the Mainspring may be interfering with the sear releasing the trigger, this does not allow it to move into firing position. I found that if I manually tap the trigger forward, I can fire the next round. The thing is, I have to do this for every shot after I rack the first shell from the mag! :eek:

Did you install the disconnector spring? If you leave it out, you'll have to knock the trigger forward, exactly as you mentioned.

The disconnector spring is shown here: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion...3_rebuild09.jpg

just as Cobra said, might take a couple bends but i've had to adjust one of the spring legs on every saiga i've converted. as for the failure to chamber tho...not to sure what the prob is there. does the feed angle look proper when the mag is loaded?

Cobra, I haven't fired it yet (go figure, LOL!), but cycling the trigger with my finger after taking the hammer out and bending the spring seems to have fixed it!!!!

Thank you so much!

BTW, I spent 5 minutes and found the thread that talks about polishing the parts that will help the Failure to Feed problem.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

P.S. This is the second time I installed the FCG along with the BHO with no mods to the BHO plate, only bending the tip of the spring. I don't know why people seem to have so many problems with it. If anyone does, let me know and I will take a pic of how mine looks and try to describe the method I used.

Feed issues typically iron themselves out on these guns unlike FTE's. If you look back there are many posts saying these guns "like to be broken in". You can take some 600 grit sand paper to the bolt face to polish it up so the back ring of the shell slides up more easily.

Where exactly was the shell getting hung up? You could also do a psudo "ramp job". I believe there's a Tromix post on here that shows all of the areas to polish up to help feeding.

P.S. This is the second time I installed the FCG along with the BHO with no mods to the BHO plate, only bending the tip of the spring. I don't know why people seem to have so many problems with it. If anyone does, let me know and I will take a pic of how mine looks and try to describe the method I used.

I totally agree, but for some it can take a few trys to get it down. if you just bend the short leg of the BHO spring @ a 45 degree angle you wont need any floss or string or any such method, just some hemo's or needle nose pliers.

hobbyshooter, The Failure to Feeds are all stopping where the brass just starts to enter the chamber. In all cases I was able to fix this by giving the bolt a little forward assist.

I found that post with the "Ramp Job" and I think I am going to give that a shot. I might just polish the areas before taking anything too abrasive to it.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

One thing to note....

I don't know if you bought the Federal or the Winchester Wally World pack, but the Winchester often has a slight bulge towards the front end which causes exactly what you're describing (hanging up when chambering). I think they use a softer plastic or something. Try the Federal value pack (I prefer the #6 1/2 shot).

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

I did indeed buy the Winchester Wally pack. Unfortunately, the range I go to only allows slugs or buckshot if you have a full choke. I have a buddy with 14 acres and I am hoping he wants to get together sometime soon to go shooting. His range is a little less restrictive. ;)

I polished everything that was included in the sticky and it helped me tremendously! Also someone else mentioned, oil your gun, bolt, trigger, etc and pull the bolt back then leave open for about 2 weeks. This helps break in! Someone else posted which seemed to help me as well!

the range I go to only allows slugs or buckshot if you have a full choke

Scary meter: 9 out of 10.

Do they only allow you to fire a gun while pointed at another person as well?

LOL, I meant they only allow slugs, unless you have a full choke. In which case they let you use 00 buckshot.

hobbyshooter, The Failure to Feeds are all stopping where the brass just starts to enter the chamber. In all cases I was able to fix this by giving the bolt a little forward assist.

I found that post with the "Ramp Job" and I think I am going to give that a shot. I might just polish the areas before taking anything too abrasive to it.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

That'll probably clear up the majority of it. Another place to look at is the ejector, and the channel it rides up when the bolt is closed. Polish the face and the channel where the 2 pieces of metal contact.