New to the forum

Hi everyone, I recently got a Saiga-12 because, no doubt, I think they aren't going to be available much longer. Either because of Nancy, Harry and the Big O will ban 'em, or because our relations with those darn bellicose Russkies are going down the toilet.

Anyway, what can I say? As great as the concept is, I have to say the execution gives one the impression that it is somewhat... wanting. The fit and finish of my S12 is head and shoulders below that of any other firearm I've ever owned. I'll probably have it refinished, and "converted" as well, and that will hopefully make me happy.

I was reading up on this board about Vodka Specials, and I believe I have one. I removed the gas selector plug and peeked inside to find only two gas ports visible in the hole. That means I have to send this bad boy back to RAA for repair, doesn't it? Mind you I have yet to shoot it, but I did order "Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug" along with an MD-20, and from what I understand just 2 ports is not going to cut it with that part. Am I right?

I look forward to my Saiga-12 adventures...

Hi everyone, I recently got a Saiga-12 because, no doubt, I think they aren't going to be available much longer. Either because of Nancy, Harry and the Big O will ban 'em, or because our relations with those darn bellicose Russkies are going down the toilet.

Anyway, what can I say? As great as the concept is, I have to say the execution gives one the impression that it is somewhat... wanting. The fit and finish of my S12 is head and shoulders below that of any other firearm I've ever owned. I'll probably have it refinished, and "converted" as well, and that will hopefully make me happy.

I was reading up on this board about Vodka Specials, and I believe I have one. I removed the gas selector plug and peeked inside to find only two gas ports visible in the hole. That means I have to send this bad boy back to RAA for repair, doesn't it? Mind you I have yet to shoot it, but I did order "Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug" along with an MD-20, and from what I understand just 2 ports is not going to cut it with that part. Am I right?

I look forward to my Saiga-12 adventures...

as far as ak's go the saiga finish is a lot better than others i've seen. try shooting it with some buck or slugs on the #1 gas setting 1st, i guarantee smiles:)

These two holers are starting to make my head spin. I have one that has had issues with Federal low brass. I took it out today and it ran the low brass just fine. The Federal high brass #6 shot wouldn't run at all...on either setting (multiple mags). So, one day it likes the Fed #6 and the next it doesn't. One day it doesn't like the Fed #8 and the next day it does. I'm getting confused.

As for the finish, you can always redo it at a later date. I'd break it in and convert it before getting too envolved with a refinish.

Congrats on the gun...I hope it's a runner.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the S12. :up:

I agree with Snoofer, TAC and Sunny take it out and test fire it 00 buck on position 1.

Before you do take a 90' angled pick and make sure the ports are completely clear before you head out. I have found a lot with partially plugged ports and this trick works.

As far as finish remember that the S12 used to sell for almost half of what you probably paid for it. I have seen a lot of S12's and the finishes very quite a bit.

Keep us updated as well. :)

I have a 2 holer and polished the bolt, trigger and chamber. My 2 holes look bigger than the 3 and 4 holers...( bigger is better). I shot 3 different 00 rounds and it works just fine. I have also heard breaking in the gun helps and holding the action open for about a week or 2 well oiled! Hope this helps! See the sticky at the top about polishing the bolt..it is excellent!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I'll stop by Wal-Mart and buy some ammo, then let off some steam at the range and see how it runs -- hopefully some day this week. At least this is one rifle I won't worry too much about keeping clean! :)

Alright, I tried it out at the range with some 1oz slugs on position 1 and it worked great. Of course I know the real test is to try light loads on position 1, or failing that position 2, to see if it works. But it was cold out, and I was really out there to sight in a rifle -- the Saiga was just a little side-show.

It was a pretty awesome experience, really.

Aimed shots were hitting about 18" below the point of aim at 50 yards. It was definitely shooting "minute of bad guy" at that distance. My target would have been taking belly and groin shots -- a show-stopper for sure.

After extensive on-line consultation, I'm shipping it off to TAC-47 for some spendy package work. I enjoy doing some things myself, but I don't do welding sand-blasting or parkerizing, all of which I want done. It should be pretty awesome when it comes back. I hope to incorporate every ban-inducing feature except for the "revolving cylinder" ;)

I'll post pics for sure!

• 1 month later...