Drilling hole spacing in Vodka Specials

After looking the all the posts that seem to indicate that the drilling of more port holes may or may not improve cartridge ejection on the Vodka Specials.

Has anyone given thought to the proper spacing of extra holes? Seems to me that the grooves in the piston are spaced apart by a certain distance for a reason. I can envision that improper spacing of any holes that you might drill might be counterproductive if they interact with the grooves in the piston incorrectly. If you carry my logic of extra hole spacing to an extreme, one could drill extra holes anywhere we wanted (let's say 1 inch apart) - right? - but we all know that is not the case - so what is the BEST spacing for the holes?

I have a feeling that even a small difference in the spacing of new holes may cause the Vodka Specials to act even worse than without the new holes - AGAIN, the piston grooves are spaced by a distance for a reason.

Any gas flow experts out there?

Can someone post a diagram with the spacing of the holes on non-Vodka special 4 hole Saiga 12. That would allay my fears about drilling greatly.

Edited by itibitititi
After looking the all the posts that seem to indicate that the drilling of more port holes may or may not improve cartridge ejection on the Vodka Specials.

Has anyone given thought to the proper spacing of extra holes? Seems to me that the grooves in the piston are spaced apart by a certain distance for a reason. I can envision that improper spacing of any holes that you might drill might be counterproductive if they interact with the grooves in the piston incorrectly. If you carry my logic of extra hole spacing to an extreme, one could drill extra holes anywhere we wanted (let's say 1 inch apart) - right? - but we all know that is not the case - so what is the BEST spacing for the holes?

I have a feeling that even a small difference in the spacing of new holes may cause the Vodka Specials to act even worse than without the new holes - AGAIN, the piston grooves are spaced by a distance for a reason.

Can someone post a diagram with the spacing of the holes on non-Vodka special 4 hole Saiga 12. That would allay my fears about drilling greatly.

I thought the gas holes are forward of the "piston" - so the grooves would be for reliable functioning in a high carbon environment.

I thought the gas holes are forward of the "piston" - so the grooves would be for reliable functioning in a high carbon environment.

You may be right, but on a 4 hole Saiga, the holes do extend far enough to potentially interact with the holes - whether or not the theory is correct about the spacing/pattern of the holes may have an effect is something for the EXPERTS here "shoot down." If I had my druthers, I would space my holes to match the factory pattern. Even if the piston grooves do not interact with the holes, I am sure that you can't drill holes with any spacing you want - there must be an optimal spacing and a non-optimal spacing.

Edited by ward00

I had a three holer from aways back and added a forth and it wasn't an issue. When you take off the gass block there is only enough room for four holes so you can't really get to far away from where you need to be, just put a bit in an existing hole to get the angle right. Remeber this isn't an AR. nothing is precision, thats why it works so well and companies are selling gas piston conversions for ARs now.

Have you shot it and determined you need more holes? If not go put 200 to 500 shells though it, have a blast, then see if it needs work.

I had a three holer from aways back and added a forth and it wasn't an issue. When you take off the gass block there is only enough room for four holes so you can't really get to far away from where you need to be, just put a bit in an existing hole to get the angle right. Remeber this isn't an AR. nothing is precision, thats why it works so well and companies are selling gas piston conversions for ARs now.

Have you shot it and determined you need more holes? If not go put 200 to 500 shells though it, have a blast, then see if it needs work.

Just got it with 2 holes that half show past the threads - I'm not sure that 200 stovepipes would be that much fun - in any case - it's just a theory that might explain why some of the Vodka specials did not seem to see much improvment when more holes were drilled.

Just got it with 2 holes that half show past the threads - I'm not sure that 200 stovepipes would be that much fun - in any case - it's just a theory that might explain why some of the Vodka specials did not seem to see much improvment when more holes were drilled.

Try the King Armory Gas Piston before you start with the do it yourself mods. You void the warranty once you start messing with adding new holes and such. The piston did great things for my S12.