Gas Plug Question

I just received my two MD20 drums and Gunfixer's gas plug from Mike. My original gas plug fits the gun just fine, but the new improved gas plug does not thread into the gas tube. I think that the threads are OK, and the plug starts into the tube threads, but it then hits the barrel, and just stops. There is just not enough clearance between the gripping surface of the plug, and the barrel. My S12 has the factory finish on the barrel, but the new plug has removed all of it where it touches (after three or four attempts to install it). I have removed & reinstalled the factory unit many times, but the new one is just too large on the gripping surface dimension to fit. Have any of you guys noticed anything similar?

I read about this issue with some guns, the easy fix is to just file away some of the barrel to allow it to install, and the S12 barrels are very thick, just take your time.

I hope mine does not need this... I just refinished my gun. :P

I read about this issue with some guns, the easy fix is to just file away some of the barrel to allow it to install, and the S12 barrels are very thick, just take your time.

I hope mine does not need this... I just refinished my gun. :P

I did this to mine and it worked fine. Go to gunfixers page under the business section, its covered there. Good luck

If this has been answered several times I apologize, I don't get on the site much lately. I was 3rd in line for the first run production of Mike's drums. I bought 2 of them as I have 2 S-12's, but I have never received any gas plugs. Did I get passed over? Did plans change?

Thanks,

Dan

If this has been answered several times I apologize, I don't get on the site much lately. I was 3rd in line for the first run production of Mike's drums. I bought 2 of them as I have 2 S-12's, but I have never received any gas plugs. Did I get passed over? Did plans change?

Thanks,

Dan

I believe 1st run customers get in line second for the plug after the second run drums have all shipped. Don't quote me but I think thats what I read. I'm in same boat! But you can buy one.

I bought a first-rounder too, and have been wondering about that myself...Do I need to get the ball rolling, or will I be surprised by a box in the mail? I am in no hurry, nor am I cranky...Just curious. Either way, I love my S12 and the drum that sits under it; waiting to destroy all the worlds non-working microwaves and gallon jugs of water.

Same problem here. My stock plug was scratching up the barrel a little when I got it, so I turned it down very slightly. I'm thinking of doing the same to the Gunfixer plug rather than cutting into my barrel.

side.jpg

barrel.jpg

I talked with Gunfixer about it and he said it should be fine so long as I don't take it down too much. I'll try to find his thread that talks about this.

Corbin

You can take a little off the OD of the plug if you have to, just don't take any more than absolutely necessary.

The detent pin only catches the edge of the plug, remember it was originally designed to go beside the plug to lock it. Now it's just sitting in a shallow cut on the step. If too much is removed from the outside diameter, the very edge of the detent will catch on the very edge of the plug, and it will bind, and not be turnable by hand any more.

It will still work as far as the settings go, it just will need tools to move.

I was a little worried that I would have to remove some material from my barrel as I did a refinish not to long ago, I lucked out, no issues with the plug and reading the manual my threads are in the "normal" area. :smoke:

I had the remove a ton from the A fitting area on my drum, but all is good. :super:

I decided to just file the barrel instead of the plug. It seems some folks have done that with good results, so I figured what the heck. I didn't have to take much off either. The flat spot is less than 1/8" wide I'd say. If that. Some touch up bluing and it looks fine. Besides, once the plug is in, you can't see it anyway.

I took it out with a couple mags full of the #8 shot that used to short stroke in my gun (

). I first shot it on -1, which barely moved the bolt back. No surprise there. +1 kicked back a tad more, but barely any ejection. Second shot was FTE. Setting 2 ejected the round about 2 feet away. Setting 3 put them about 6 to 8 feet away.

On setting 3, I couldn't get the #8 Federal to jam, even with my rapid fire. I'M SOLD! :wub:

Corbin