Hammer Wont Catch!

I am new to converting and this forum, but i was wondering if anyone could help me out. I converted my saiga 223 and everything seemed to go well. I ran into ZERO problems until i cocked the gun. The bolt/bolt carrier seem to get hung up on the hammer. The hammer, in turn, is NOT locked in place.

I bought all new internals from Dinzagarms.com and assembled it correctly, both with and without the BHO lever (i did this several times, i am really good at it now). I also tried the old hammer. I have a new Tapco single hook FCG, pin retainer plate, etc etc. I first thought the pins were moving, but they are not. Has anyone encountered this and solved it?

Thanks for your help guys,

Dbar

BTW, this is what it looks like. Hope the pic works. Oh and the problem isnt because of the Surefire mags last round-hold-open feature.

post-15830-1236697370_thumb.jpg

I ran into problems with a .223 where the trigger binds on the front with the sheet metal receiver. I had to file down the sheet metal for clearance. Please look in the conversion section as there is a string on it. Does the trigger seem to work OK? (is it free to move?) Let's start with that, if the trigger is held up by the front by the sheet metal, is will keep the hammer from locking.

The first pic is the hammer NOT hooked by the trigger. Keep in mind this is after i cock the firearm.

post-15830-1236703431_thumb.jpg

The second pic is after i manually press the hammer down.

post-15830-1236703515_thumb.jpg

the bolt doesnt seem to want to push the hammer down. The hammer is not going far enough down to engage the hook. Is it possible they sent me the wrong trigger? I hope these pictures help.

Thanks again.

Dbar

Can you pull the cover and remove the bolt carrier and then take photos? Also are you sure you have the bolt in correct? It looks like it is back into the carrier when it should be sticking out of the carrier (it gets pushed and rotated back into the carrier when it hits the trunion. If the bolt is rotated in the rear (into the carrier) it would put the locking lugs in the wrong position and this may explain why it hits the hammer. I still can't see the FCG with the photos you've supplied.

Edited by Fluid Power

here are better pics. The cover was actually off on those other two, but the bolt carrier was in the way.

The first pic is with the hammer down, the way it is suppose to be. I cannot obtain this position by cocking the gun.

post-15830-1236709964_thumb.jpg

The second pic shows the place where the hammer gets wedged on the bolt carrier.

post-15830-1236710211_thumb.jpg

Two things come to mind to check. First, does the trigger need to be "pushed" foward to get the sear to engage the hammer? Second, work the FCG with the bolt carrier out using your thumb to control the hammer. I wonder if you need to get more tension with the hammer spring on the rear legs of the trigger.

that makes sense, but what is more scary is that the gun came to me like that. I made sure to put the hammer in the exact way i took it out. Thanks guys I will give it a shot and report back.

Pictures are worth a thousand words i guess.

Regards,

Dbar

• 2 weeks later...
I converted my saiga 223 and everything seemed to go well. I ran into ZERO problems until i cocked the gun. The bolt/bolt carrier seem to get hung up on the hammer. The hammer, in turn, is NOT locked in place.

I bought all new internals from Dinzagarms.com and assembled it correctly, both with and without the BHO lever (i did this several times, i am really good at it now). I also tried the old hammer. I have a new Tapco single hook FCG, pin retainer plate, etc etc. I first thought the pins were moving, but they are not. Has anyone encountered this and solved it?

that makes sense, but what is more scary is that the gun came to me like that. I made sure to put the hammer in the exact way i took it out.

That doesn't make much sense....you say the gun came to you like that but yet you were the person that installed the hammer during the conversion?

Can you explain that one again?