Looking for an "Jack of all trades" kind of rifle

Where i work now, i shoot an ar15 .223. Ive been lookn to try and find a good reliable weapon to customize and have for a rainy day (Im talkn s*** storm!). Most guys I talk to recommend the ak47 or ar15. Im not married to either so suggestion are still open. Id like it to be tactical for close quarter engagements but still be able to handle long range.

Where i work now, i shoot an ar15 .223. Ive been lookn to try and find a good reliable weapon to customize and have for a rainy day (Im talkn s*** storm!). Most guys I talk to recommend the ak47 or ar15. Im not married to either so suggestion are still open. Id like it to be tactical for close quarter engagements but still be able to handle long range.

I think you already said it1232_picking_crud_from_his_ear.gif

If you are looking for a multi-cartridge platforms like the Robinson XCR and don't mind waiting, the FN SCAR and Bushmaster ACR (a.k.a. Magpul Masada) should be available for civilian purchase by the end of this year or early next year. Though this assumes FN won't get backlogged with a bunch of military orders for the SCAR and Bushmaster eventually decides to actually put the ACR into production rather than just continually redesigning it (which seems to be their current goal). Myself, I would go with any decently put together Kalashnikov pattern rifle in 7.62x39mm. The 7.62x39 cartridge may not have super long range, but like the 30-30 cartridge it's a good all round performer with moderate recoil and as much range as most people would ever need, and an AK pattern rifle epitomizes the definition of a 'good reliable weapon'.

Edited by Frogfoot

thanks fellaz... Ive been looking into the robinson xcr and ive gottn alot of good reviews... some are a lil hesitant because of possible issues in the field..... because its not as popular as the ar15 the lack of parts would be a concern (the reviews said this, not me)... still might get the ar15, was even thinkn about gettn a saiga .223 with an adapter to accept ar15 mags.... I dont know.... we'll see what happens.... as much as the fn scar is sumthn id love to get, waiting till the end of the year is hard for me... kind of paranoid (new awb) and impatient... again thanks for taking the time to chime in.... its appreciated...

If you are talking of a Doom Day / End Of The World rifle then a cheap semi-auto AK will do just fine.

Make sure you get a reliable pistol with a cheap Uncle Mike nylon holster and a Saiga 12 with an assortment of ammo.

This will be plenty enough to defend yourself against the first attackers.

By then, you'll be able to choose and pick your rifle of choice, ammo and other gear from the dead bodies.

Common sense will prevail and carrying a nice and expensive rifle can make you a prime target as well... :ded:

I would think the Ak platform for SHTF, can anybody remember the parts count of the AK vs AR? The point being the more parts the more can go wrong and more parts you would have to keep on hand. This is the reason i went with the AK as my work horse for SHTF sititution. I do have the Ar-15 I will keep.

Get a Mosin Nagant, if you run out of ammo, you can use it to bludgeon your attackers :) Remember the 7.62x54R is used in Drugonov style "sniper" rifles, should be fine for any long range stuff you want to do. I just picked up a Mosin Nagant Match Target rifle for $975, I'm sure it'll be great for long range shooting!

How about a Winchester Model 94, in 30-30? You can attach a scope to it and have a decent extremely light weight rifle.

As mentioned above, the SKS is a good shooter, you can pick-up a Yugo SKS for around $275 these days, it was one of the finest SKS's ever made; get the Tapco conversion kit for it and you can use detachable magazines.

Frankly, there are so many good rifles out there, it really depends on what you want to spend; what does your budget look like?

CHUCK NORRIS!

This is something nobody will ever agree on because there are so many great weapons out there that can be effective. The main thing to consider is what your price point and bail plan is. Get something comfortable for you to shoot effectively. A long range sniper rig does not have the same basic utility as a low caliber side-arm. The learning curve for its basic use is considerably different too! Both can be essential survival tools depending on your situation.

I would also look at ammo availability (resupply), ammo weight/size (mobility) and range effectiveness as equal considerations for going to the hills or whatever your plan is.

I personally will prefer three weapons for getting to and surviving the hills - .223 AR, .308 scoped Sniper Rifle, and Glock sidearm (.40 or .45). I will also have a .22 conversion for the .223 AR to maximize small game ammo in a 9 inches by 3 inches package and a mag. In addition to that, a single .30 suppressor that can work on either rifle will complete my rig. I have these items and a reasonable supply of ammo for each, but to get this would cost well over $4,500 today with a lengthy wait.

I would likely use the shotgun if I were to go back to an urban setting with buildings and close quarters scenarios. Ammo is otherwise too heavy to be adequately mobile in my panic rig (survival in the hills for extended periods of time) if I have to get away from a resupply point.

I would stay away from ammo that is rare and unobtainable unless you get a good supply. Price point, the Mosin is great because tins of ammo are cheap and you can easily be effective out to 500+ yards if you have experience.

All the recommendations so far are great depending on your plan and budget!

Here's mine,

It has light recoil, fast target aquisition, and is accurate too.

i have been debating a folding stock,...under or side

I really like this light weight skeleton stock, I see 22 shooter put one on his s-12 too,..

post-9483-1236910678_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for a multi-cartridge platforms like the Robinson XCR and don't mind waiting, the FN SCAR and Bushmaster ACR (a.k.a. Magpul Masada) should be available for civilian purchase by the end of this year or early next year. Though this assumes FN won't get backlogged with a bunch of military orders for the SCAR and Bushmaster eventually decides to actually put the ACR into production rather than just continually redesigning it (which seems to be their current goal). Myself, I would go with any decently put together Kalashnikov pattern rifle in 7.62x39mm. The 7.62x39 cartridge may not have super long range, but like the 30-30 cartridge it's a good all round performer with moderate recoil and as much range as most people would ever need, and an AK pattern rifle epitomizes the definition of a 'good reliable weapon'.

well, the FN scar I believe is a much different animal, the fact the gun is extruded out like playdough and has a unusual stock system that isn't interchangeable with anything on the market except FN parts. and the retarded cost of 3-5k. The ACR is yet to show an appearance, I was betting my money on that gun, but I got a XCR instead, besides, XCR has been out for a while now and the newest generation looks very very good with no issues and Robinson ARms will be releasing the XCR-M which is the .308 platform. For the price of 1 FN SCAR, you could get a XCR-L and XCR-M (when its available) Bushmaster is too busy with multiple projects, including large gun projects for the guvment, so they really don't give a shit about the ACR, they keep "changing" their minds about the final product for civilians.

Edited by Vultite

I'd say that if you already have an AR the best thing would be to stock up on ammo, mags and replacement parts. As a bonus it's way easier to find boxer primed brass to reload than x39. Then find yourself a sidearm.

AK is the next obvious choice.

SKS is a really nice little rifle. I consider them nearly perfect as they are and I'm not a promoter of modifying them. If you get the hang of the stripper clips they can be reloaded in no time.

Saiga .308.

Or look at a CETME if you want something a little different . I'm not a big fan but a lot of people really like them.

In a true SHTF you're not going to want to take two rifles of different calibers and you've already started down the .223 road. If you buy an AK you have to decide which one is going to be your primary and then invest the bulk of your resources into it.

I would say get an adequate ammo and mag supply for the AR and then a Glock, Beretta, Springfield XD, HK or other stone dead reliable sidearm.

You guys are great, thanks for the info.... I think i might be narrowing it down... I thought that robinson arms already made a .308 kit and its already available?? Thought I saw one on GB.... Think I might go with the XCR with a .223, .308 kit and find me a HK usp .45 with a bunch of preban mags and keep workn on the s12 an call it a day... anything else would be extra and expendable if need be... oh, how could i forget vodka and a sharp knife, hahaha nice! Man i wish i could bottle up Chuck Norris and bring him with me!

I'd say that if you already have an AR the best thing would be to stock up on ammo, mags and replacement parts. As a bonus it's way easier to find boxer primed brass to reload than x39. Then find yourself a sidearm.

SKS is a really nice little rifle. I consider them nearly perfect as they are and I'm not a promoter of modifying them. If you get the hang of the stripper clips they can be reloaded in no time.

Saiga .308.

Or look at a CETME if you want something a little different . I'm not a big fan but a lot of people really like them.

In a true SHTF you're not going to want to take two rifles of different calibers and you've already started down the .223 road. If you buy an AK you have to decide which one is going to be your primary and then invest the bulk of your resources into it.

I would say get an adequate ammo and mag supply for the AR and then a Glock, Beretta, Springfield XD, HK or other stone dead reliable sidearm.

I hear ya, i wish i did own an AR but its only for work. I dont know how true it is, but Ive HEARD that recent reports are saying that the .223 isn't very effective in close quarters or long range and thats why they're making the 6.8??... How true is this?

Saiga .308.

I hear ya, i wish i did own an AR but its only for work. I dont know how true it is, but Ive HEARD that recent reports are saying that the .223 isn't very effective in close quarters or long range and thats why they're making the 6.8??... How true is this?

In close quarters, you need to disable your oponent in the shortest time possible.

The .223 is not very effective at doing this. At long range, it doesn't fragment so it is not very effective for that either.

This is typical for a military round. They are primarily designed to wound as opposed to hunting rounds which are designed to kill.

Of course, I expect some to argue on this... Oh well....

just so you know, the XCR-L is only available in 5.56, 7.62X39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 grendel because of length of cartridges, the XCR-M which is coming very soon will have .308 and all the related cartridges (like .338 and 6.5 lapua ect.)

Edited by Vultite
just so you know, the XCR-L is only available in 5.56, 7.62X39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 grendel because of length of cartridges, the XCR-M which is coming very soon will have .308 and all the related cartridges (like .338 and 6.5 lapua ect.)

I have to admit, im a noobie when it comes to rifle calibers. A lil bit confusing. So there are 3 different caliber .308's? 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and then the .308 (american). Is it kind of like the difference between the .45 acp and the .45 gap??

I have to admit, im a noobie when it comes to rifle calibers. A lil bit confusing. So there are 3 different caliber .308's? 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and then the .308 (american). Is it kind of like the difference between the .45 acp and the .45 gap??

4 different calibers: 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. The XCR-M is 7.62x51. The 7.62x51 is basically a .308. You can chamber and shoot .308 rounds in a 7.62x51 rifle. The 7.62x51 is a step up in power from the 5.56, 7.62, etc. used in the current XCR.