New member to the club

New guy. Paid 600 otd and got two surefire mags for once I get my u.s. parts.

102_0855.jpg

It was built in september of 08

Was using walmart federal on gas setting one. I believe I have three gas ports. Plan to get to converting it soon.

I need to actually pattern it on paper with a few kinds of ammo and shoot at my friends steel plates. I will be using it in a friendly 3 gun competition at our annual fal shoot. I've read of multiple people not being able to knock down plates due to choking issues. I've only put birdshot through her so far.

I realize when I unscrew the thread protector I have threads.... :rolleyes: I've seen the two chokes that are russian oem for the saiga? Do these use the outside threads to attach somehow or must I modify my barrel to use them. Are these acceptable for competition use. I just wanna be able to knock over poppers.

Edited by dirtyrice
Let me be the first to welcome you. You will find a great bunch of folks and info here.

eseaton

Yes I have lurked for a while and definitely have seen the quality of information here. Which is why it will become my third forum home :)

New guy. Paid 600 otd and got two surefire mags for once I get my u.s. parts.

102_0855.jpg

It was built in september of 08

Was using walmart federal on gas setting one. I believe I have three gas ports. Plan to get to converting it soon.

I need to actually pattern it on paper with a few kinds of ammo and shoot at my friends steel plates. I will be using it in a friendly 3 gun competition at our annual fal shoot. I've read of multiple people not being able to knock down plates due to choking issues. I've only put birdshot through her so far.

I realize when I unscrew the thread protector I have threads.... :rolleyes: I've seen the two chokes that are russian oem for the saiga? Do these use the outside threads to attach somehow or must I modify my barrel to use them. Are these acceptable for competition use. I just wanna be able to knock over poppers.

Hello and welcome! I'm pretty sure that the Russian polychokes thread right onto existing outer barrel threads.

X2 on the Polychoke.

I just got my Polychoke II for my S-12. Tried it out yesterday. It works great. Turned my saiga into a good all around use gun. Fully adjustable from open cyl + to X-full and all points inbetween. Slug setting too. Lead or steel. It screws right on the threads at the end of your barrel. Perfict fit. Looks great on the end of my gun. It seemed to reduce recoil a bit too.

Clicky: http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?pro...DPolyChoke%2DII

I had thought about a polychoke. Great to hear it uses the factory threads and has a slug setting. That was one thing I was worried about was using slugs. I just read multiple threads here where people weren't knocking down steel because of either a poa change *which should be worked out at the range before the comp* Are there any other issues to consider? Is X full probably what I would use in competition? Thanks guys. Hopefully someone else has them in stock.

I'm thinking of getting a thin pad for it until I get a better stock. I'm not a recoil pansy and I shoot l1a1s/fals for the most part and have been since I started shooting a couple years ago. Til .308 went up so far. But the saiga factory stock has sharp edges that are not rounded. An l1a1 with wood stock and METAL buttplate feels better because its rounded off on the edges.

My girlfriend likes it too :) We plan to get her a pump soon.

102_0845.jpg

Edited by dirtyrice

Welcome to the forum and to our obsession. :rolleyes: If it hasn't already become your favorite firearm to shoot, I suspect it soon will be. Be sure and read as many post as you can pertaining to whatever questions you might have. Chances are, any issue you might ever experience with it has probably already been talked about at least a dozen times. LOL

I've been a member here for a year, but only got a Saiga in January. It really helped me to educate myself on this awesome firearm by reading up on things before I actually got it. I started at like page 50 of the Saiga 12 section and kept scanning through threads until I got to page 1. Took a long time, but man, the information here is mind boggling.

So again, welcome. I hope you're saving up for extra ammo. Your new Russian machine loves to eat. :rolleyes:

Corbin

**EDIT** I forgot to mention....If you can swing it, getting your GF another Saiga would probably kick her less than a pump gun. Especially when using low brass or a 20 ga model.

Edited by Corbin
I had thought about a polychoke. Great to hear it uses the factory threads and has a slug setting. That was one thing I was worried about was using slugs. I just read multiple threads here where people weren't knocking down steel because of either a poa change *which should be worked out at the range before the comp* Are there any other issues to consider? Is X full probably what I would use in competition? Thanks guys. Hopefully someone else has them in stock.

I'm thinking of getting a thin pad for it until I get a better stock. I'm not a recoil pansy and I shoot l1a1s/fals for the most part and have been since I started shooting a couple years ago. Til .308 went up so far. But the saiga factory stock has sharp edges that are not rounded.

Dont go into a competition without pattern testing your choke. That is a must do . You need to know how your gun shoots.

IMO X full is too much for small shot like 8 or 7.5. It compresses and deforms the shot too much. Causing flat spots on the shot making fly aways and opening up the pattern. . Better to use modified or improved modified with small shot. Whatever gives you the best pattern at the range you will be shooting at the most.

These are good recoil pads...http://www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=339

Ugly as sin but they work good. Hey! Your S12 will never win a beauty contest anyhow.

Edited by tommygunner

It'll probably become my second favorite gun to shoot. I love l1a1's :)

txfalshoot08054s.jpg\

th_89094201.jpg

Gotta love registered MG's and nice friends.

The large ass bore is definitely an attraction though. Can't wait to get some slugs then it might just become my favorite gun for under 100 yards for sure.

Edited by dirtyrice