Does any one know for sure if BATF considers the Romy thumbhole stock as the thumbhole or a pistol grip?

I am planning to convert my 308, replace that terrible trigger to be exect, but want to avoid the 922 nonsense at the same time.

post-14073-1236787592_thumb.jpg

Edited by BKLYN_C

I bought one of these stocks here in newzealand as we are not allowed free standing pistol grips. it was a joke! the pistolgrip was way too short for even a small mans hand and the length of pull was so short only a child would find it comfortable. dont waste your money !

The difference is:

The Saiga skeleton stock is not considered "evil" because the pistol grip descends from the stock itself, and is not attached to the rifle in any way.

stock.jpg

The WASR stock in the OP and these directly attach to the bottom of the receiver and utilize the pistol grip mounting holes. They are considered "with pistol grip".

thumholebuttstock.jpg

fegthumbholestock.jpg

The difference is:

The Saiga skeleton stock is not considered "evil" because the pistol grip descends from the stock itself, and is not attached to the rifle in any way.

stock.jpg

The WASR stock in the OP and these directly attach to the bottom of the receiver and utilize the pistol grip mounting holes. They are considered "with pistol grip".

thumholebuttstock.jpg

fegthumbholestock.jpg

No definite Yes or No at the same time. Depending who you ask. This is the single most screwed up topic.

I decided to go with AdvTech Fiberforce with is US made and takes me to the proper count along with TG. Playing safe

No definite Yes or No at the same time. Depending who you ask. This is the single most screwed up topic.

I decided to go with AdvTech Fiberforce with is US made and takes me to the proper count along with TG. Playing safe

With the track record they have, any "definite Yes or No" will be reversed the first day they come to work with a hangover. . .

Edited by nalioth

I personally find the Romanian stock very comfortable and installed one on my Saiga. I love it. Don't listen to someone who says the grip is too small. They probably had one that was stripped without that red piece at the bottom which extends the grip area. My hands are not what you'd consider small (XL glove size), and they fit without a problem. Note that this bottom piece is attached with a screw. If you are one of the few with gorilla hands, it is a simple matter to remove it and install a larger grip extension to accomodate you. The length of pull is short, yes, but I got used to it. You position your hand a little differently on one of these stocks, and it becomes comfortable. I like the length of pull because it brings the rifle's weight in closer, dramatically improving the balance of the gun. On a .308, you have the added bonus that its recoil plate will make it more comfortable to shoot.

My advice: try it. They can be had for $25, so it's not a major loss if you don't like it.

I don't know whether it's considered a pistol grip, but you should assume it is. I count it as a pistol grip to be safe. If it is a pistol grip, I've got 9 parts. If it's not a pistol grip, I've got 8 parts. Given that the only other thing I want to do to my gun is add a muzzle brake, and the attachment is US-made, it doesn't matter.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
I personally find the Romanian stock very comfortable and installed one on my Saiga. I love it. Don't listen to someone who says the grip is too small. They probably had one that was stripped without that red piece at the bottom which extends the grip area. My hands are not what you'd consider small (XL glove size), and they fit without a problem. Note that this bottom piece is attached with a screw. If you are one of the few with gorilla hands, it is a simple matter to remove it and install a larger grip extension to accomodate you. The length of pull is short, yes, but I got used to it. You position your hand a little differently on one of these stocks, and it becomes comfortable. I like the length of pull because it brings the rifle's weight in closer, dramatically improving the balance of the gun. On a .308, you have the added bonus that its recoil plate will make it more comfortable to shoot.

My advice: try it. They can be had for $25, so it's not a major loss if you don't like it.

I don't know whether it's considered a pistol grip, but you should assume it is. I count it as a pistol grip to be safe. If it is a pistol grip, I've got 9 parts. If it's not a pistol grip, I've got 8 parts. Given that the only other thing I want to do to my gun is add a muzzle brake, and the attachment is US-made, it doesn't matter.

I am pretty much in your shoes. With that stock as PG i will have 9 US made parts and PG. If it is a thumbhole then no one cares.

Right now I have the RAA skeleton stock, its is not the dream machine. The grip is not convenient, but the length is good. The romak stock will be good in the grip but short. Kind of dilemma :(

As an alternative I am looking at the AdvTech fiberforce.

The romak stock will be good in the grip but short. Kind of dilemma :(

No dilemna.

The Romanian firewood thumbhole stock is wood.

All ya gotta do is pull the buttplate off and screw or glue on an extension. Pop the buttplate back on and you're in business.

It's been done and there are posts floating around on the various AK forums showing it done.

Edited by nalioth
Does any one know for sure if BATF considers the Romy thumbhole stock as the thumbhole or a pistol grip?

I am planning to convert my 308, replace that terrible trigger to be exect, but want to avoid the 922 nonsense at the same time.

I would consider 922r to be in effect as the weapon did not come with any of those stocks, and its too easy to do to avoid.

On the same shoe, that looks identical to the dragonov stock, and it was considered a pistol grip. The SLR stock and others displayed never had a solid ruling on, the RAA did and it is NOT a PG.

We can all speculate on why they made these choices... nalioth thinks its due to the PG bolt, Me- I call BS, if they wanted that they would have defined that, I believe they only wanted to ban importation of certain evil firearms. otherwise why make a ruling on one and ONLY one thumbhole-the most popular at the time, and not any other freely available thumbhole? The slr is prime example coming around in 95. it was ripe to be made a example of! and in fact you can find thumbhole AR stocks that look similar!

However i can agree the choices they make seem quite random at times.

but being a NY resident arn't you just worried about a state law?

Edited by Nailbomb

I would consider 922r to be in effect as the weapon did not come with any of those stocks, and its too easy to do to avoid.

On the same shoe, that looks identical to the dragonov stock, and it was considered a pistol grip. The SLR stock and others displayed never had a solid ruling on, the RAA did and it is NOT a PG.

We can all speculate on why they made these choices... nalioth thinks its due to the PG bolt, Me- I call BS, if they wanted that they would have defined that, I believe they only wanted to ban importation of certain evil firearms. otherwise why make a ruling on one and ONLY one thumbhole-the most popular at the time, and not any other freely available thumbhole? The slr is prime example coming around in 95. it was ripe to be made a example of! and in fact you can find thumbhole AR stocks that look similar!

However i can agree the choices they make seem quite random at times.

but being a NY resident arn't you just worried about a state law?

The state will not have anything special in this case. Have non threaded barrel, 10 round mags, etc.

The safe way is along with the romy stock get another US made part on top of TCG. Then i will be 922 and NYS compliant, or get fiberforse