Can I use a 10rd mag in my un-modified saiga 12?

If you have a threaded barrel and just have the barrel nut on it, the S12 has fourteen foreign parts, and with a ten round US mag you are only replacing three of those, so the short answer is NO unless you wish to violate 922r, which requires you to have ten or less foreign countable parts on your firearm.

If you have a threaded barrel and just have the barrel nut on it, the S12 has fourteen foreign parts, and with a ten round US mag you are only replacing three of those, so the short answer is NO unless you wish to violate 922r, which requires you to have ten or less foreign countable parts on your firearm.

So with a 10rd magazine I am only at 11 on the parts count and I have to be at 10? What would be an easy and cheap way so that I could be compliant without a full modification to the shotty?

+1 for the gas piston. I'm going to be picking up a King Armory one soon. I've been using a Chaos gas piston for about 2 weeks and it works great. I can make you a deal on it when I get my KA piston. PM me if you like.

Corbin

Yes because it is a foreign part (not made in the us).

This is not exactly correct. The issue with using the US made mags is not the fact that they are US made. The problem is that when you put a 10rd detachable mag on a Saiga it may no longer fall into the "sporting" category. So although using a Russian made 8 rounder MAY be legal because 8 rounds MAY still be considered sporting, it would not be simply because it was made in Russia. That has nothing to do with it.

I thought 922r meant that you DON'T put more foreign made parts on it than it already has. And that adding any US made part, including mags is okay.

So if I have a US made mag and a US made muzzle brake, would that be 922r compliant?

Russian hicap mags are not legal to use in a factory S12. The capacity makes the gun "non-sporting" and therefore subject to 922r.

I thought 922r meant that you DON'T put more foreign made parts on it than it already has. And that adding any US made part, including mags is okay.

Not exactly. As I mentioned above, 922r only applies to "non-sporting" weapons. If you make any mods to your gun that make it non-sporting, then you must comply with 922r.

So if I have a US made mag and a US made muzzle brake, would that be 922r compliant?

Technically it would be legal with THAT MAG in it. Personally I wouldn't rely on "magazine compliance" since the insertion of a Russian 8-rnd mag would comprise a felony, but some guys do. This subject has been debated since 922r appeared, so you will hear opinions that differ from mine.

Not exactly. As I mentioned above, 922r only applies to "non-sporting" weapons. If you make any mods to your gun that make it non-sporting, then you must comply with 922r.

By "non-sporting" you mean converted with PG and FCG moved forward right? What if its unconverted with the original sporter stock?

The quick fix would be to take off the barrel nut for the duration of the 10 round mag's use. Now you have 10 foreign parts. Also, I think someone offers a U.S. made barrel nut. I didn't have this issue, my S-12 is a 22" fixed choke. But I converted it anyway.

By "non-sporting" you mean converted with PG and FCG moved forward right? What if its unconverted with the original sporter stock?

No, adding a hi-cap magazine deems it automatically unsporting, and therein lies the problem.

No, adding a hi-cap magazine deems it automatically unsporting, and therein lies the problem.

In in Cali as my name states, so we're not allowed to have any hi-caps unless you consider a 10rnd mag a high cap. So with a 10rnd mag is it considered sporting?

In in Cali as my name states, so we're not allowed to have any hi-caps unless you consider a 10rnd mag a high cap. So with a 10rnd mag is it considered sporting?

If I not mistaken, the law states that "high capacity" is above 5 for shotguns and above 10 for rifles. Anything in that "high capacity" range is considered unsporting and adds +1 to your 922 compliance. Its a federal law so its the same across the board in all states.

If I not mistaken, the law states that "high capacity" is above 5 for shotguns and above 10 for rifles. Anything in that "high capacity" range is considered unsporting and adds +1 to your 922 compliance. Its a federal law so its the same across the board in all states.

Dox you got it a little mixed up too. Having an unsporting mag does not add to the 922 count. It simply makes the entire weapon unsporting, and if there are then more than 10 Russian parts on or in the gun, it's illegal. A sporting weapon (such as one with the 5 round factory mag inserted, or no mag, I guess) is allowed to not be in compliance and have as many Russian parts as you want, provided those Russian parts are not unsporting. :ded: I couldn't tell you exactly what the number is that makes it hi cap or "unsporting." HOLY FUCK WE'VE GOT SOME DUMB LAWS