Replacement parts for the 308

I am a new owner of a Saiga 308-1 with a 22" barrel and it has became my favorite rifle. I try to have spare parts for all my rifles and pistols but so far I am confused about parts for my Saiga. Yes there is a lot of convertion parts out there but what about stock parts. What if any AK parts will fit the saiga 308? A list of dealers that can supply these parts would be great.

Thanks

Just remember that S308 is different is certain areas - especially bolt (3 lugs vs 2), bolt carrier (I read on this forum that bolt stem diameter is different - pls confirm), barrel of course - means lots of things that hang off of it are different - hand guards, gas block, etc, etc. If you look at Saiga 922 compliance list - it actually lists what is made in the US, i.e. replaceable.

I know that some parts have to be non AK standard but which AK parts can be used in my 308?

I really want to built up a spare parts kit that will keep my Saiga 308 going for years in case something happens and the supply of spare parts get cut off.

You can probably pick up lots of parts that would otherwise be discarded, from people who are doing conversions.

I know that some parts have to be non AK standard but which AK parts can be used in my 308?

I really want to built up a spare parts kit that will keep my Saiga 308 going for years in case something happens and the supply of spare parts get cut off.

Here is a link to Saiga specific parts from K-Var

An AK74 bolt carrier will work in a pinch,regular AK guts can be used,upper gas tube needs to be relieved to allow the retaining latch to close,gas piston ins the same,bolt,extractor,firing pin and barrel are the real problems.

You could make a bolt from a narrow stem 7.62x39 bolt but it would need to be extended and you would have to make an extractor and a longer firing pin I think.

A better idea might be turning down the shank on a 308 Galil bolt but the length again needs to be changed and it is only 2 lug.I thought about pressing the barrel out a hair and reheadspacing on a Galil bolt since I have a couple of them and just using the Galil bolts instead and selling my original Russian bolt for $150 as a spare to someone else with a Saiga 308 but after thinking about it I really can't forsee wearing this thing out with the amount of ammo I can afford.

I assume this sucker will last at least 30,000rds and if it cheeses out it's almost cheaper to keep a whole fresh Saiga on hand to swap my hot parts over to instead of jumping through these hoops for spare parts.

Maybe someone needs to make some 308 Saiga bolts?Not like it's rocket science for someone with a CNC setup and it looks like they would sell for at least $150ea

An AK74 bolt carrier will work in a pinch,regular AK guts can be used,upper gas tube needs to be relieved to allow the retaining latch to close,gas piston ins the same,bolt,extractor,firing pin and barrel are the real problems.

You could make a bolt from a narrow stem 7.62x39 bolt but it would need to be extended and you would have to make an extractor and a longer firing pin I think.

A better idea might be turning down the shank on a 308 Galil bolt but the length again needs to be changed and it is only 2 lug.I thought about pressing the barrel out a hair and reheadspacing on a Galil bolt since I have a couple of them and just using the Galil bolts instead and selling my original Russian bolt for $150 as a spare to someone else with a Saiga 308 but after thinking about it I really can't forsee wearing this thing out with the amount of ammo I can afford.

I assume this sucker will last at least 30,000rds and if it cheeses out it's almost cheaper to keep a whole fresh Saiga on hand to swap my hot parts over to instead of jumping through these hoops for spare parts.

Maybe someone needs to make some 308 Saiga bolts?Not like it's rocket science for someone with a CNC setup and it looks like they would sell for at least $150ea

what about the return spring? is it the same as AK74 or does it have to be stronger due to the larger 308 round?

what about the return spring? is it the same as AK74 or does it have to be stronger due to the larger 308 round?

I don't know for sure actually

I would have to take the thing apart from it's guide and measure it and compare it to an AKM spring

I don't know for sure actually

I would have to take the thing apart from it's guide and measure it and compare it to an AKM spring

Dont know how good replacement it will be, but it fits and recycles manually ok. My guess is the return spring will be interchangeable

• 1 month later...

good thread, which gas tube will work? and how hard is the mod? thanks