Can some one answer few questions for new guy

I have been doing some research and really like Saiga vs some other variants I have looked at. I have a gun show coming up soon but have not had enough time to do all the research needed before a purchase. I need to have some idea of what to look for IF i find anything that looks like its worth buying. I just want a little guidance.

Like any special markings?

Range of Serial numbers to look for?

Mods to look for?

Reasonable price? price + mods

Just anything that will identfy what I am buying and not get robbed in the process.

I understand there are probably to many varibles to answer these questions fully but I was hoping to get a little advice. I have gotten bit a time or two at gun shows.

any and all recomendations advice welcome and appreciated

Like any special markings? Not really. Some people want dimples, the extra "Y" stamp, and whatnot. But it's all cosmetic. None of it is needed, nor does it make the gun function any better.

Range of Serial numbers to look for? As far as I know, there's nothing special about the serials with x39 Saigas. I've never heard of them being used as an indicator of good or bad.

Mods to look for? Well, what are you looking for? Someone could have modded a Saiga to hell and back, but that doesn't mean it's going to benefit you, or tickle your fancy. But what kind of mods are you talking about exactly? A few parts added/changed, or an actual conversion?

Reasonable price? price + mods It seems the x39's are getting up near $400 or maybe even going above $400. This is going by what I've read here. I have 2, and haven't been looking for another, so maybe I'm not up on the current prices.

Just anything that will identfy what I am buying and not get robbed in the process.

Do you feel comfortable doing a conversion yourself? (You should. It's really not hard.) If so, I'd look for an unmodified x39, so you have something fresh to start with. As opposed to picking something up that someone possibly butchered.

If you're looking for something already converted, obviously it will cost more. If you go this route, look it over good, and ask what exactly has been done to it.

It seems there's not too many deals to be had at gunshows now-a-days <_< .

Welcome to the forum, Cino.

Right now it's catch as catch can since the elections. If you find any AK variant expect to pay a premium price, and get there early. In the world of Saiga's you simply cannot go wrong even if it's unconverted.

One of the most common AK variants your likely to see is the WASR 10 Romanian imported by Century Arms. These are a roll of the dice gun. Many were put together with second rate military parts and quality can range from very poor to acceptable. Look for canted front sight blocks, mill marks in the receiver and magazine well. The wood is usually unfinished, but that's not a big deal, however it's a sign of poor quality control.

Check the action for function. Is is stiff, smooth, does it sound clunky or bind in any way? Does the mag wobble around or is fairly tight? Expect some play, but not a lot.

If you can't find any AK's that are affordable or acceptable look for an SKS. The Russian SKS is the best IMHO, however, the Chinese Norinco, and Yugoslavian variants are good, too. They shoot the same round as the AK and are loaded with 10 round stripper clips. No mags to buy, and you can get pretty efficient with those stripper clips with practice. They are kinda short for us here in the western hemisphere, but you can get some some decent butt stock pads for them that take care of that. One word on the Yugoslavian SKS. That variant does not have a chromed barrel, so you just have to clean it more often. Carry a bore snake with some 50/50 mix Windex and some cleaning patches to run through the barrel in the field and your good to go. The Communist conscripts would use motor oil to maintain the barrel and protect it from rust, but that's them. it's a good gun, don't pass it up if you find a deal.

Some folks baulk at the SKS, however, I'd not feel undergunned with one. It's cheaper, just as reliable and just as deadly in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. You can get some pretty cool rear adjustable peep sights for those things that will increase it's accuracy one hundred fold, so keep your eye out for a deal on one of those as well.

Above all, look for ammo and get as much as you can afford. I think the ammo situation will stabilize sometime this summer, but I'm no prophet so get as much as you can, now.

Heres a cool sight to help you out some. http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Welcome to the forum, Cino.

Right now it's catch as catch can since the elections. If you find any AK variant expect to pay a premium price, and get there early. In the world of Saiga's you simply cannot go wrong even if it's unconverted.

One of the most common AK variants your likely to see is the WASR 10 Romanian imported by Century Arms. These are a roll of the dice gun. Many were put together with second rate military parts and quality can range from very poor to acceptable. Look for canted front sight blocks, mill marks in the receiver and magazine well. The wood is usually unfinished, but that's not a big deal, however it's a sign of poor quality control.

Check the action for function. Is is stiff, smooth, does it sound clunky or bind in any way? Does the mag wobble around or is fairly tight? Expect some play, but not a lot.

If you can't find any AK's that are affordable or acceptable look for an SKS. The Russian SKS is the best IMHO, however, the Chinese Norinco, and Yugoslavian variants are good, too. They shoot the same round as the AK and are loaded with 10 round stripper clips. No mags to buy, and you can get pretty efficient with those stripper clips with practice. They are kinda short for us here in the western hemisphere, but you can get some some decent butt stock pads for them that take care of that. One word on the Yugoslavian SKS. That variant does not have a chromed barrel, so you just have to clean it more often. Carry a bore snake with some 50/50 mix Windex and some cleaning patches to run through the barrel in the field and your good to go. The Communist conscripts would use motor oil to maintain the barrel and protect it from rust, but that's them. it's a good gun, don't pass it up if you find a deal.

Some folks baulk at the SKS, however, I'd not feel undergunned with one. It's cheaper, just as reliable and just as deadly in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. You can get some pretty cool rear adjustable peep sights for those things that will increase it's accuracy one hundred fold, so keep your eye out for a deal on one of those as well.

Above all, look for ammo and get as much as you can afford. I think the ammo situation will stabilize sometime this summer, but I'm no prophet so get as much as you can, now.

Heres a cool sight to help you out some. http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

+1 on SKS - I love my Yugo!

Glad to have you on the sight!

As been stated, not many good deals at the gunshows nowadays, BUT there could be! Probably be safest to find an unconverted one, first of all like has been stated, finding one that has been "converted" could be a find that has been butchered, not always, but maybe. Secondly, if you find an unconverted one for around the $450-less range, you can spend some money on ammo and fall in love with this rifle! If you do find one, it will become a relationship with it and you will want to be the one to do the mods to it yourself and if you don't convert it, then use the money for MORE AMMO! (But you will convert...sooner or later)

Happy hunting!

Plus one on all the above and welcome! The 7.62's come in several receiver varieties, some come with smooth sides that hold the magazines stable from the inside, most like the more AK look with the dimples pressed in on the receiver from the outside, and a few out there came with a Y on the left side, where the full auto pin would go, they seem to be receivers from a military over-run, I don't know but these seem to be more desireable and these even come with different stampings. They all seem to be going fast and high waiting for the stroke of a pin. Good luck and don't forget the ammo.

I was fortunate enough to buy mine last year just about this time. And when I did, I though I was getting in when someone was taking advantage of me on the prices. (Thats been covered enough, wont even go there)

Find one at a decent price (that YOU can afford) and go from there.

SKSs': I own a Norinco, and love it. I concur, that you get quite adept at using the stripper clips to load it at speed. They are great rifles, and nothing to be scoffed at.

I wish you luck on your hunt, and please let us know how it goes!