Getting 1951 SKS

I don't know anything about this gun, I own a S-12 and have done some things to it, but this is a different aminal!

I guess I'm looking for any knowledge about mods. and 922r related issues.

Thanks in advance.

It's been dragged around, even has initials carved in stock, and it is soviet made. are there mods available, if so, what kind? Oh, thanks for the 14 count.

Edited by AA re-cvrd

True. You can usually find Yugos and a few Norincos at pretty good prices. I modded my Yugo with a Tapco Fusion set and I like it. It looks just like the one in the pics below except it's plain desert tan. This is one I helped a good buddy with. I'm keeping my Chinese and my Russian '53 stock. You got any pics of that '51 with carvings? That sounds cool.

Anyway, if you replace the operating rod and the muzzle attachment (this one's a grenade launcher / brake), you can put a set like this on there and be legal.

Compliance parts are:

Op rod

gas piston

Stock

HG

Brake

PG (added part but US made)

Mags

post-1293-1237005448_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1237005466_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1237005482_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1237005800_thumb.jpg

There are also other stock sets you can get from places like Cheaper Than Dirt. There are folders, and even monte carlo stocks.

Don't have pics, getting it from a friend. Cobra, that's just bad ass ;) , I was especialy wandering about the mag, looks like that's no problem. It,s not like I went looking for this, it just came my way. After seeing Cobra's pics I think it will worth playing with. Thanks for the pics Cobra, U da man!

I don't know anything about this gun, I own a S-12 and have done some things to it, but this is a different aminal!

Thanks in advance.

Restore it!a nice Laminated stock and integral 20rd magazine for pleasure(keep the original handy) and a scoutscopes or ultimak type mount could be nice for shooting but it is a self loading carbine not an assault rifle.If you want an assault rifle get an AK the SKS is it's own deal and is excellent at what it was meant for.

I like to ad the 20rd Chinese red star integral mag when I can find them and I like the gas tube scope mounts for a dot sight or long eye relief pistol scope because they don't permanently modify the rifle but otherwise it should be restored and utilized as a simple,handy utility rifle.

You can carry a good amount of ammo on 10rd stripper clips and a Leupold 1.5-4 pistol scope mounted on a gas tube mount makes a dandy hunting/survival rifle in a pinch without permanently "Bubbafying" a great little historically significant gun with a bunch of CRAPCO bullshit that will never work as reliably as the original system.

That's my opinion but it's your rifle so do what you want.

Edited by SOPMOD

LOVE me some SKS. I am not really fond of the bubba-ed SKSs with the Tapco furniture. I have about 15 SKS and have only bubba-ed 2 of them (A romanian and a Yugo) that were in poor condition.

Clean it up really good and add the firing pin mod to eliminate the slamfire issue, which tends to happen with the Russians more than any others.

Give us some pics.

The rifle is great as is, but there's nothing wrong with customizing it with non permanent parts that are inexpensive and readily available. Although the Russian SKSs are nicer and more rare, so a lot of folks like to keep them stock.

The good thing about the "crapco bullshit" is it is only temporary, requires NO PERMANENT MODS, and can be switched back to the same old factory look in a matter of minutes to UN "bubbafy" the rifle. :rolleyes: Some people even put it on there just so they can use the rifle in the thick brush as a great deer rifle, while preserving their original wood stock for collector value. It's a tool. Use it.

The detachable mags are handy if you are out shooting a lot of rounds but the original 10 rd (or 20 if it's chinese) mag is better for shooting prone or from the bench, and loads very easily wih stripper clips.

You can get these strippers for cheap in a bulk pack. They hold ten rds each and are madeto fit down into the notch in your bolt carrier. You just pull the bolt back, or stick it in there after the LRBHO holds it back automatically, push all ten rds down into the mag with your thumb, take out the clip and charge the weapon.

I'm not a fan of forward mounted optics but to each his own....you can pick up a replacement dust cover with integral mount for a more conventional scope mount closer to your eyes, and it doesn't take any modifications to the rifle like some of the older mounts that required drilling and tapping the receiver. :ded:

...again...preserving your original nice blued top cover from getting scratched or banged up.

SKSs are a dime a dozen compared to most AKs and other so called "assault rifles". That is why I said get a cheaper one if you can find one and modify that one. I like keeping my Chinese and Russian original. The Yugos can be found very cheap and you can always put the original parts back on if you want.

Whatever you decide to do with it, enjoy it. It's your rifle.

Thanks in advance.

Restore it!a nice Laminated stock and integral 20rd magazine for pleasure(keep the original handy) and a scoutscopes or ultimak type mount could be nice for shooting but it is a self loading carbine not an assault rifle.If you want an assault rifle get an AK the SKS is it's own deal and is excellent at what it was meant for.

I like to ad the 20rd Chinese red star integral mag when I can find them and I like the gas tube scope mounts for a dot sight or long eye relief pistol scope because they don't permanently modify the rifle but otherwise it should be restored and utilized as a simple,handy utility rifle.

You can carry a good amount of ammo on 10rd stripper clips and a Leupold 1.5-4 pistol scope mounted on a gas tube mount makes a dandy hunting/survival rifle in a pinch without permanently "Bubbafying" a great little historically significant gun with a bunch of CRAPCO bullshit that will never work as reliably as the original system.

That's my opinion but it's your rifle so do what you want.

Yup.

Thanks guys, I respect your knowledge and value your opinions or I wouldn't ask for either. Cobra I apreciate what you offered and I'm glad to know that there are cool options that are not permanent, thanks. Can anyone recomend where to get US stamped parts for 922r, like trigger set, mags etc.?

Now I wish I would have taken some before pics. I started cleaning it up, it kinda looked someone took a shit on it, but the metal finish now looks pretty good. The wood looks like it has had 20 or so BAD coats of varnish put on it over the years, I guess zip-strip and steel wool is the remedy for that. I should have some pics soon.

Now I wish I would have taken some before pics. I started cleaning it up, it kinda looked someone took a shit on it, but the metal finish now looks pretty good. The wood looks like it has had 20 or so BAD coats of varnish put on it over the years, I guess zip-strip and steel wool is the remedy for that. I should have some pics soon.

OK, I took a few pics before I start on the stock, also the obammy special, enjoy :rolleyes:

post-13516-1237132628_thumb.jpg

post-13516-1237132854_thumb.jpg

post-13516-1237132904_thumb.jpg

post-13516-1237133139_thumb.jpg

I've got two Yugo SKS's, won't mod either of them, just personal preference.

Got my GF one, the stock was a bit long for her reach, so we put the Tapco Compliance Kit on it. My bro got the ATI Fiberforce Stock.

I've got a bunch of SKS bookmarks, from when I was doing research on the subject, on delicious.com.

Make sure you're 922r Compliant!

Also, remember that a lot of the parts out there will need to be modified slightly to fit your particular rifle, just make sure you've got a good Dremmel and patience. If you're around VA, I'd be happy to help some weekend.

Edited by vbrtrmn

Got my GF one, the stock was a bit long for her reach, so we put the Tapco Compliance Kit on it. My bro got the ATI Fiberforce Stock.

I've got a bunch of SKS bookmarks, from when I was doing research on the subject, on delicious.com.

I saw a Yugo yesterday for the first time, :D of course I want it :lolol: . My favorite gun shop is also a pawn shop ans someone had just pawned it when I walked in, we'll see :smoke:. I assumed this gun is complient, should I be concerned that is isn't?

I assumed this gun is complient, should I be concerned that is isn't?

Never assume a gun is compliant, always check for yourself! If it was the standard wooden stock, you're probably fine; if it had some mods, who the hell knows. Honestly, if it has the wooden stock and was around $250 and looked to be in good shape, I'd buy it, $250 is fair $275 is okay, anything more is too much, unless the gun is in excellent unissued condition. If it had been modified in any way, I'd request to field strip the rifle and do some in depth examination on all the parts. If it didn't meet 922r, I'd inform the pawn shop and not bother with it; at that point it is their problem and being an FFL02 dealer (FFL02 is for pawnbrokers), it is really in their best interest to deal with it; if the ATF did an inspection, there would be some questions. If I see a modified weapon, which doesn't meet 922r, I won't bother with it at all, you never know about the abilities or lack-there-of of the person who modified the weapon.

Here's a good thread on Yugo SKS 922r compliance.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/1222-yugo...-questions.html

To clear something up here:

The Yugo SKS you get from wherever distributor is a C&R gun and is exempt from 922r due to the C&R status.

However, if you decide to start cutting it up and 'making it cool', you'll have to conform to 922r, as you've removed it from C&R status.

Looks great man! Should clean up nicely. Looks like someone whacked the bayo lug though.

It never had a bayonet, the furniture aint cut for it! No mods have been done either and the numbers match. My buddy bought this gun last spring, took it home, wrapped it up and never messed with it. He decided to give it to me and like I said before, this thing was entirely coated with some shit, leads me to believe somebody had this gun for a long time and never did anything with it, there is still alott of rust in the barrel :unsure: , any suggestions?

To clear something up here:

The Yugo SKS you get from wherever distributor is a C&R gun and is exempt from 922r due to the C&R status.

However, if you decide to start cutting it up and 'making it cool', you'll have to conform to 922r, as you've removed it from C&R status.

Well hell, there ya go B) , thanks for the info.

Also, remember that a lot of the parts out there will need to be modified slightly to fit your particular rifle, just make sure you've got a good Dremmel and patience. If you're around VA, I'd be happy to help some weekend.

PM sent.

Looks great man! Should clean up nicely. Looks like someone whacked the bayo lug though.

It never had a bayonet, the furniture aint cut for it! No mods have been done either and the numbers match. My buddy bought this gun last spring, took it home, wrapped it up and never messed with it. He decided to give it to me and like I said before, this thing was entirely coated with some shit, leads me to believe somebody had this gun for a long time and never did anything with it, there is still alott of rust in the barrel :unsure: , any suggestions?

Well tis is a total retraction. Upon further investigation, the lug has been whacked, and the slot in the furniture has been filled in :cryss: . Where can I get the parts to fix it?

Well tis is a total retraction. Upon further investigation, the lug has been whacked, and the slot in the furniture has been filled in :cryss: . Where can I get the parts to fix it?

Decided not to mess with it, gave it back, looking for another one, in decent shape, any out there?????

"The good thing about the "crapco bullshit" is it is only temporary, requires NO PERMANENT MODS, and can be switched back to the same old factory look in a matter of minutes to UN "bubbafy" the rifle."

That is some TERRIBLE advice, especially coming from somebody that supposed to be in the business of firearms.

If you affix a high cap mag, let alone pistol grip on an SKS, and you get caught with it in that condition, the charges you may face, or the fines or jail time you get, are not going to be temporary.

Why the hell would you give this guy the idea that breaking the law in any form, even for a short time is acceptable?

You may not like TAPCO, however, at least they provide everything you need to convert your SKS to a legal high cap rifle.

Perhaps you should stick to providing some FACTS to the people that are asking before you bust their balls about what products THEY wish to purchase, instead of giving them an OPINION that may put them in legal jeopardy????