Hello everyone.

I stumbled across this forum after just purchasing my 19" S-12 last night. I had been looking for one for months, even before November, 2008 but could not find one. A local shop had just gotten five of them in this week so I snagged one and two of the 10 round promags. I am in hopes that this S-10 will be a "rock & roller" that I will enjoy shooting. I will do a little skeet and perhaps casual deer hunting.

My only other shotgun is a Remington 1100 that I have had for over 30 years. That old Rem has NEVER failed me despite being dropped in the river a couple times. Years ago I had spraypainted it satin black with Rustoleum paint and that also worked great for field use.

I have not shot the S-12 yet but have five boxes of old #8's to run through. From what I have learned here, shooting 8's is a test of reliability. The Remington 1100 never once jammed or failed to eject. I would think that if this S-12 is so great, it would not either. I do not have a lot of patience with a weapon of this price (paid $650) should it turn out to be a "Vodka Cocktail". Hmmm ... changing gas settings? Never had to do that in the Remington either, it just ate whatever it was asked to, without fail.

So why did I get this thing? When Bill "Clintoon" came to office everybody was spooked that "assult" type weapons would be banned so what did I do ... promptly bought a Mak 90 to shoot out in the Arizona desert on my days off. I enjoyed running 2,000 rounds through it so much that I sold my AR-15 (back home on the east coast) in favor of the Mak. I thought, why not get a shotgun of the same toughness and reliability. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the opportunity to interact and learn more about this weapon. First step this afternoon is to do a complete field strip and inspection.

Cheers ...

Edited by tretpflyr

Welcome to the forum!

I just bought one too! If you read your owner's manual it tells about how to adjust the gas system. There are only two positions and the selector is right there under the front sight, it's really quite simple.

Look at it this way. You've spent your life driving an automatic and now you just bought a manual. Just because this gun operates differently than the one you are used to does not make it inferior. Your Remington (I'm assuming it was a semi auto) probably would wear out faster shooting very high power loads than the Saiga would when set on position 1, so there is a reason for it. I'm among those who would call it an improvement.

Although they imported under the guise of being a hunting weapon, I believe the Saiga design leans more toward a combat weapon. I just don't think they are designed for very light loads.

Edited by OpFlash

Rather than starting up a new intro thread i'll just introduce myself.

I like everyone else stumbled across this site in searching for info on Saigas. I just picked up my 24" S12 on Thursday from my FFL. I went with the 24'' as i enjoy hunting, and figured i'd give this a whirl with deer and waterfowl. Just as tretpflyr said, i decided to "pull the trigger'' on my purchase with the possible changes coming. I'm going out tomorrow to test out the s12, i have 30 some sluggers to break her in. Unfortunately the range i go to doesnt allow shot unless you are firing at clays, and i dont have a setup for that. So i'll just get some sluggs out, and get a feel for it. From what i can tell on my new saiga i have at two holes i can see, possibly a third but i really couldnt feel it out. I shouldnt have any problems with slugs, but i'll report back.