Howa .308 with a heavy barrel, came with a Hogue stock. It's rubberized, feels really good. Shot a couple of rounds out of it today, I need some optics. There are no sights whatsoever on the gun, so I wasn't hitting much with it.

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1337.jpg

The bolt appears to be stainless steel, it's pretty beefy. I read that the trigger is adjustable, but I didn't get the box or instruction manual with it, because they couldn't find it at the gun shop. I'm going to pick it up later this week and I'll be able to familiarize myself with it a little more.

Only thing lacking is threads on the end of the barrel and a can attached to it. Elvis, stay away from Simmons or the other high priced gun shops in town, try calling C&C in Parrish, small good ole boy store with LOTS of fun stuff, and optics out the butt, geared more toward serious hunting. If you have the $$$$ ask for the scope with built in range finder, and Mark is one hell of a gunsmith. If they don't have what you want, they'll order it, but won't try to sell you some high priced crap that won't do you any good. Do your research on line then go ask them if they have it, better prices than in town.

There are actually 4 holes in the top of the receiver for mounting rings, so I don't think there will be any gunsmithing required. I tried to put some rings off a 10/22 on it, but one of the rear holes didn't line up. A friend of mine has some extra scopes, I think, so I'm going to see what he has before I go out and buy something. I'm probably just looking for a basic 3-9X scope, but nothing super cheap.

I was going to get a mosin nagant, but I worry about the availability of ammo for it in the future. I figure the .308 will be more readily available (assuming that any ammo is available 4 years from now) than something like the 54r. I reload .308, and also already have a saiga .308, so it's good to be able to share the same caliber.

So what kind of optics do y'all think I should get for this thing? I was out shooting my 10/22 (with 3-9X scope) today, and something that I've noticed over the past few weeks is that I shoot a lot better, even at longer distances, with the scope set at 3X, vs 6X or 9X. I guess its because the optics are naturally at 3X, and you somehow lose a bit of your zero when you zoom in. Obviously, I don't know a lot about optics.

Well, this got me thinking, I probably want something with around an 8X minimum. I've got an 8X fixed POSP on my saiga .308, and it's been really good to me, that's where I got the 8X as a base number. Obviously I don't want to spend a lot of money on a scope for my $500 rifle, even though I know that generally "good things aren't cheap, cheap things aren't good."

I found this thing on sportsman's guide, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=492892 , looks pretty decent, maybe a bit overkill. It comes with rings, but I worry about the clearance with teh 50mm lens.

Can someone school me on some decent optics, or at least what to look for in a scope?

HOWA makes great rifles, Vanguards etcetera are made by HOWA

My local wally has a sweet Howa .308 with the pistol grip for about $889... I was TEMPTED!!!!

MD? I have a 30.06 Weatherby Vanguard. The most accurate rife I own. That's not a Howa, is it?

I just picked up my first bolt action as well It's not the Mauser I wanted but it will do for now. Mosin Nagant M44 Fun shooter have to get used to her to be more accurate, but 125 bucks aint too shabby for a good lookin WWII carbine.

2kpkkw.jpg

Edited by avpfivethousand

Ok, Elvis... two things...

First...

When you are zeroing a scope on your rifle for the first time, you should do all your shooting for zero at the HIGHEST POWER it goes to! Once you get it set at high power, it should retain zero when you move to lower powers... and then back up high again...

Second...

That optic you show a link to... although inexpensive... has one defect... in my opinion... The crosshairs are a CUT crosshair. They are a piece of metal cut in that shape and stuck in there. you want to try to get an optic with an ETCHED reticle. When you light up that crosshair the whole inside of the tube will light up... rather shitty if you ask me... I have seen a lot of inexpensive optics with this feature.. most of them with THAT SPECIFIC RETICLE! They are cheap... and you may be disappointed...

I have used several of the more expensive BARSKA optics... which are VERY similar to the one you are looking at for not too much more cash... I have 6 or 7 barska optics on everything from 17 HMR to .50 BMG... including 22lr, 308, 7.5 swiss, and .223. never had a problem with any of them yet. Except that a couple needed to have the bases shimmed... but that can be a common problem depending on the rifle and the mounts you use. and is easily remedied with a few slices of aluminum soda can.

I have also used BSA optics on 4 or 5 of the rifles I own as well... I dont like them as much as the barska, but for the price seem to also be very decent optics for a shooter on a budget.

Osprey international claims to have good glass lenses in their optics and they seem to be a decent product! I have held them at gunshows... looked through them, and played with them... and they seem bright, clear and decent for the money. ( 150-200 )

If you want to spend several hundred... Leupold is always a sure winning name to go with.

with all that said... figure out what you can afford and try to get the best you can for the money...

:smoke:

Thanks man, I appreciate the tip.

I actually went to the gun show today and picked some stuff up. At first I was just going to get rings and a mounting plate thing. So I bought a plate, and was wandering around, and saw these guys selling scopes. I ended up talking them down to $60 for a eurolux 2.5-10X scope with Leupold rings. It's not the best scope, by far, but I think it will do the job for the time being.

I'll definitely zoom it all the way in when I zero it. I didn't know that was the method. Maybe I should try that on my 10/22 also.

HOWA makes great rifles, Vanguards etcetera are made by HOWA

My local wally has a sweet Howa .308 with the pistol grip for about $889... I was TEMPTED!!!!

MD? I have a 30.06 Weatherby Vanguard. The most accurate rife I own. That's not a Howa, is it?

Yes it is. The Vanguards never have, and probably never will be made by Weatherby.

Edited by mav