ok so i am try to get some money together to get a semi saiga in my hands before the ban comes back. and given the current situation i am trying to decide if i should get the 7.62x39 or the 223 saiga. my worry is that there might be bans or restrictions on imprting the russian manufacted rounds and i will not be able to fully stock pile ammo by then. i would think that evenif that happens 223 wolln't drmatically raise in price but putting a whole package together for a converted 223 will be more costly than for a converted 7.62x39 since the mags are more expensive

my plan is to over the next few months get the rifle convert it to a stock pistol grip config with new fcg and fore grip, and stock pile atlest 10 mags and ammo to fill them. i think the saiga is still the cheapest way to go unless i can't get one for less than about 450$

then i would probably go for a ak-47c from classic arms if he still has them by then.

I got into Saiga's because of Obama...thanks Obama! I had always wanted an AK and not because he had gotten elected, just didn't have one in my collection. Anyhow I had scraped up the money about a week after he was elected, and was going to getmmy cousin to order me one ( he had an FFL )

At that time EVERYONE was out of them! My wife had called around to try and find one and the local shop told her about the Saiga, he had three left and all were .223. I went ahead and bought it, kinda disappointed that it wasn't an AK, but afraid I wouldn't be able to find one. That was the best thing that happened to me! I realized that the Saiga's were the real deal, origional Russian rifle built right along side of the Kalish.

Eventually I ran across the x39 on gunbroker for $399! The last one at that price that I have seen.

So, if you can, go ahead and pick one up from Gunbroker or wherever. They will run you around $450-500. Get it while you can, order your parts for the conversion, and a bullet guide and you'll be happy you did! In fact, you probably won't want to buy a regular AK after that...you will probably spend your money on more Saigas!

Good luck!

post-14474-1237130869_thumb.jpg

I think the rifles are both about the same price, both 7.62x39 and .223 ammo are about 30-cents-per-round; so budget wise they're going to be about the same. These days it is more like whatever you can find per the rifle.

If your budget is really low, I'd consider just getting an SKS, a Yugo is going to run you about $275-$300.

well what i am looking for opinion wise is do any of you think that there will be availability problems with 7.62x39 in the near future that whould make the 223 saiga a more prudent choice in the days to come. meaning i don't want to get stuck buying a gun that in 5 years i will not be able to buy ammo for less than the same price as 308. i fi9gure barring some rediculas taxing that given the war demands 223 ammo is not likely to get much more expensive than it is now. but i could see 7.62 getting more expensive if it get sudden'y difficult to import it.

Fred79..I was in the same boat...Limited budget and trying to decide which caliber. I went with .223 for the exact reason you stated..If Chairman Maobama outlaws the import of X39 I would think we will still be able to get .223.

An added benefit of buying the Saiga is that by the time you finish the conversion you will know that weapon inside and out...As to the cost of mags..there arent as many options perhaps, but with a bullet guide from Dinzag and possibly a mag adapter later you can use AR mags. ..Good luck.

my real question though is should i go 223 or 7.62 considering i am on a budget?

I would go with a .223 myself. The round is more prevelant in the states, Plus there are more models of firearms here chambered in the round. There are more companies making ammo in .223. But, the pres. has basically said the era of affordable ammo is over when he gets around to taxing it.