Easiest 922r compliance part for new saiga

Saiga/AK Gurus,

I am learning so much, so fast my head wants to explode....I'm an old shotgunner who has been Obamazized. In DE you can't hunt with any rifle large than a 22 unless it is a muzzle loader. So all the stuff I figured I'd get sooner or later...is turning out SOONER...and fairly quickly....I barely have enough $ for ammo anymore. This 922r stuff is like learning new math to help my kids...takes alot of reading and understanding. I think I understand the part about reducing the number of not-US made parts (as long as they are on the import compliance list) to 10. I have a beautiful new skeleton stock, made 2008 in Izhmash 7.62. It fits me well and once I get a 200yd scope on it, for my old eyes, I think I'll leave it as is. The only thing I want is high cap capability...and being legal. So, as far as I can read on some of the "compliance" sites, when I use my new poly Surefire 30rnd mag I am illegal. Gurus...please enlighten me further...am I right in believing, to be legal with a 30rnd Surefire, I need to change out 1 compliance listed piece to reach the magic 10. And if so....what would be the cheapest, easiest way to do this. I really don't want to change my rifle other than scoping it....for now. The only thing I don't like about this rifle is the front sight...well...the rear sight too. Won't matter after it is scoped. All info appreciated...thanks.

I would have to guess it would be a hand guard.It would be about as easy as anything I can think of.Most other things would be a little more work,not really hard just more involved than the hand guard.

+1 on the handguard, the only other thing I can think of that would remotely come close would be a buttstock. But that is still alot harder than the front handguard IMO.

Stock buttplates are not on the list.

And no, not practical. Normal AK fire control group pins are designed to be removed and reinstalled. The Saiga's special rear FCG pins are one-time use. You have to drill them out to remove them, and cannot reuse them. You can replace just the disconnector and hammer (the 2 normal pins), but that only gets you 2 compliance parts.

You can change the Disconnector, Handguard and Gas Piston. Unless you want to pull off that nice Russian Stock. Dinzag Arms does offer a non-conversion FCG but it only includes the Disconnector and Hammer (costly as well).

I have the Dragunov Skeletonized stock on my Saiga and I kinda like it, seems like a waste to replace it. If I understand what I have read about 922r correctly, this puts the weapon at 15 imported parts (Drag stock counts as buttstock and pistol grip). I ordered some Surefire 30 round mags which will count as 3 US Made parts, which means I need to change 2 more. The handguard seems like a good option, but that's only 1, I'd still need another. I don't really want to do all the grinding, drilling and paint of a full conversion, I just want to be able to use high capacity magazines.

I see part# FCGNPG1 on Dinzag's site for $62, looks like it would change the disconnector and hammer to US Made parts. What is involved with doing this?

Edited by pheenix11
  • 4 weeks later...
I have the Dragunov Skeletonized stock on my Saiga and I kinda like it, seems like a waste to replace it. If I understand what I have read about 922r correctly, this puts the weapon at 15 imported parts (Drag stock counts as buttstock and pistol grip). I ordered some Surefire 30 round mags which will count as 3 US Made parts, which means I need to change 2 more. The handguard seems like a good option, but that's only 1, I'd still need another. I don't really want to do all the grinding, drilling and paint of a full conversion, I just want to be able to use high capacity magazines.

I see part# FCGNPG1 on Dinzag's site for $62, looks like it would change the disconnector and hammer to US Made parts. What is involved with doing this?

you don't get a point for each mag you have from the US. having a surefire one in counts as 1. as for the fcg, pull the pins, some drilling, moving the triggerguard... I'm about to do it and it doesn't seem too hard. there are tons of videos showing how

I think I need some help understanding this as well. I have read all the 922 Compliance but it's hard to get a complete grasp of it all. I have a complete stock "hunting" style Saiga 7.62. I want to add the Tapco T6 stock with pistol grip. Not interested in moving the trigger guard or antying like that. By adding this stock will I not be in compliance? Also using the 30rd Promag.

Thinking of also adding a scope, new forend and possibly a bipod, do these other features even effect it? Please advise thank you.

I think I need some help understanding this as well. I have read all the 922 Compliance but it's hard to get a complete grasp of it all. I have a complete stock "hunting" style Saiga 7.62. I want to add the Tapco T6 stock with pistol grip. Not interested in moving the trigger guard or antying like that. By adding this stock will I not be in compliance? Also using the 30rd Promag.

Compliance with a foreign mag - Saiga-12.com

Thinking of also adding a scope, new forend and possibly a bipod, do these other features even effect it? Please advise thank you.

You can read, right?

Do you see anything that mentions scopes, bipods, bayonets, chainsaws, miniature thermonuclear devices or bunnies in the text of the 922r law?

Edited by nalioth