Dinzag's Gone "for a little while" - Where to Go Now?

Now that Dinzag's baby has arrived (congratulations and best wishes to him and his family), it looks like his business is going to be slow for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I picked this time to start swapping out parts to make my .223 922r compliant. All I need to complete my rifle is a factory configured FCG and a new gas piston. However, I have no idea where else to get an FCG like the one Dinzag makes. To make matters worse, I need someone to install the gas piston into the bolt carrier (without being price gouged by Gander Mountain). Until then, my rifle sits incomplete, gathering dust in my gun cabinet, its guts stored in a toolbox.

Where else can I turn to?

Now that Dinzag's baby has arrived (congratulations and best wishes to him and his family), it looks like his business is going to be slow for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I picked this time to start swapping out parts to make my .223 922r compliant. All I need to complete my rifle is a factory configured FCG and a new gas piston. However, I have no idea where else to get an FCG like the one Dinzag makes. To make matters worse, I need someone to install the gas piston into the bolt carrier (without being price gouged by Gander Mountain). Until then, my rifle sits incomplete, gathering dust in my gun cabinet, its guts stored in a toolbox.

Where else can I turn to?

You can talk to cobra customs, or do it yourself for the FCG. I would actually look localy for the piston install first, the guys here seem pretty busy. Maybe one of them could get it done for you.

reason for edit: MUST read fully before typing

Edited by zone1935

You could also do the FCG parts yourself. That's what I did. Just buy a Tapco single hook FCG kit and cut the trigger off with a Dremel tool. Then file down and reblue using cold blue. It's remarkably simple.

As for the gas piston......eh.....well, I still haven't been able to do that one myself so I can't help here. I actually drilled the entire pin holding it in place all the way through. I can literally see through the hole, and yet that sonofagun piston won't turn one bit. I've tried using a vise and a pipe wrench, a hammer, and all types of clamps. I'm about ready to start chanting at the bloody thing.

Edited by cvasqu03

The trigger group is easy. If you wanna keep the BHO then trim the hammer just like the one your taking out. If not then toss the thing. As for the gas piston, avoid it if possible. I did the piston on one of my conversions and it sucks balls to say the least. I drilled both sides and snapped 3 drill bits. Have you ever had to pull chunks of shatterd drill bit out of your hands? It sucks! After I got the thing drilled out I tried to spin the piston out.............with a vise and a pipe wrench.

About the trigger group, if you have access to a bandsaw I would go with that. A dremel tool can (if you not paying attention) heat up the part and that may affect the heat treatment. You might have to "massage" the receiver a bit. The hook/s can catch in the groove a little and can cause the trigger to feel rough and may not reset correctly. I also polish the bolt carrier and the hammer where they make contact.

Hope you have fun converting and stay safe!

The trigger group is easy. If you wanna keep the BHO then trim the hammer just like the one your taking out. If not then toss the thing. As for the gas piston, avoid it if possible. I did the piston on one of my conversions and it sucks balls to say the least. I drilled both sides and snapped 3 drill bits. Have you ever had to pull chunks of shatterd drill bit out of your hands? It sucks! After I got the thing drilled out I tried to spin the piston out.............with a vise and a pipe wrench.

About the trigger group, if you have access to a bandsaw I would go with that. A dremel tool can (if you not paying attention) heat up the part and that may affect the heat treatment. You might have to "massage" the receiver a bit. The hook/s can catch in the groove a little and can cause the trigger to feel rough and may not reset correctly. I also polish the bolt carrier and the hammer where they make contact.

Hope you have fun converting and stay safe!

Good point. Cutting with the dremel tool did heat the piece up significantly but I haven't experienced any ill effects from it. I guess it is something to watch out for though.

If Brian doesn't have time right now I can do both of those things for you. I've done a few piston swaps on the x39s and haven't run into any problems. Just send me your bolt carrier and I'll get it done.

i think he is referring to an unmodified saiga trigger style by saying "cut off the trigger".

You're definitely ahead of me......

Edited by Bad Bob
If Brian doesn't have time right now I can do both of those things for you. I've done a few piston swaps on the x39s and haven't run into any problems. Just send me your bolt carrier and I'll get it done.

Awesome! Thanks Cobra. I already pm'ed Racegal about my FCG dilemma and she said that you would be able to make one to suit my needs. I'll gladly send you the parts you need to get the job done, though it might take a week or more. I may as well send you my bolt carrier to. If I'm going to be 922r compliant, it wouldn't hurt to have one extra compliant part to keep Johnny Law happy.

Have you tried actually calling or emailing Brian? He doesn't log in here all the time and will get your message sooner if you try to contact him directly. I don't want some paranoid individual out there thinking I'm here trying to scoop up B's business. I only offered my help if he is too busy right now to get to some things. I'll just call him myself and make sure he's cool with that.

Have you tried actually calling or emailing Brian? He doesn't log in here all the time and will get your message sooner if you try to contact him directly. I don't want some paranoid individual out there thinking I'm here trying to scoop up B's business. I only offered my help if he is too busy right now to get to some things. I'll just call him myself and make sure he's cool with that.

Oh yeah, I e-mailed Dinzag several days ago. He said right on his homepage that contact and processing orders would be slow for awhile. Thing is though, my rifle has been out of commission for awhile now; about 3 months by now. I'd like to have it operating again within the next month. I also wouldn't want to burden Dinzag with even more work and have him fall even further behind. Not to mention that his family is a little more important at the moment than dealing with some random guy's trigger problem.

I ordered a bullet guide kit from Brian at DInzag earlier this week and was notified it shipped. I think the on the shelf items he may be trying to keep up with, but I imagine having raised five kids that his custom work will be slowed a bit. With a growing family, he can use our business. I wasn't going to put any muzzle device on my 7.62x39 Saiga, but I have now decided to rent his die set and get an AK 74 brake from him.

By the way, congrats on the baby, Brian!

I got my bullet guide today, less than a week. Since I have bought from him before, he even threw in the hole plugs that I forgot to ask him for ! I guess he read my mind! Now all I have to do is get some time to install it!

I got my bullet guide today, less than a week. Since I have bought from him before, he even threw in the hole plugs that I forgot to ask him for ! I guess he read my mind! Now all I have to do is get some time to install it!

That's one of B's special touches he includes with orders. ;)

He's awesome.