Wolf 1 OZ Slugs

I went to the range today to put some Wolf 1 OZ slugs thru my S-12 to see how they worked. They would not extract on Gas setting # 1, but were good to go on position # 2. Does this seem about right?

The gun is still fairly new. It has three gas holes and all seem to be clear. I've worked the bolt about 1000+ times and lubed it well, but only put about 100 rounds thru it.

These loads are not high power loads like high brass, but they are higher velocity than trap loads so I would have thought they would have been able to cycle in position 1.

Big Picture...I'm not complaining: the gun shoots perfectly in position 2... I tested my AGP 10's and Surefire 8's....all worked flawlessly in Position 2. Just wanted to see what luck others have had with the Wolf Slugs.

I went to the range today to put some Wolf 1 OZ slugs thru my S-12 to see how they worked. They would not extract on Gas setting # 1, but were good to go on position # 2. Does this seem about right?

The gun is still fairly new. It has three gas holes and all seem to be clear. I've worked the bolt about 1000+ times and lubed it well, but only put about 100 rounds thru it.

These loads are not high power loads like high brass, but they are higher velocity than trap loads so I would have thought they would have been able to cycle in position 1.

Big Picture...I'm not complaining: the gun shoots perfectly in position 2... I tested my AGP 10's and Surefire 8's....all worked flawlessly in Position 2. Just wanted to see what luck others have had with the Wolf Slugs.

The reason I love the Wolf 1oz slugs is that they recoil like reduced recoil loads, yet they deliver decent consistent accuracy up to 75 yards (in my gun). I think for a slug they are one of the lower recoil stroke rounds out there. Doesn't mean that muzzle velocity is down too much, but the reason that they are my favorite is that they shoot like higher power (1300fps+) rounds, but burn slower for lower recoil. I would not be concerned at all that they run on #2. I have had some 1300 fps trap loads with an once of shot run on number one, and low recoil slugs on 2 in my gun all day.

Remeber, different powders burn at different rates which effect the impulse. Some burn faster and have high recoil with a lightweight load of shot or slug going down. I hate the estate cartridge 1oz slugs because they claim 1350 fps, and burn like a MFr and smack you like a freight train if you have it on even 1.

Edited by twinhairdryers

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still trying out different loads to see what works on what setting. I never thought about the powder burn rate.

I agree about the Wolf slugs. I've been shooting them for a while in my Moss 500 and I am glad to find they work just fine in my new favorite shotgun (^:

My 4 port gun does the exact same thing with S&B 1oz slugs yet I can shoot 7-1/2 walmart Federal bird shot on setting 1 reliably (although the empties don't spit out very far). Rem & Fed #8 shot is unreliable on setting 1.

You are doing the right thing. Test fire everything on 1, and whatever doesn't cycle, shoot on 2. Take the bolt carrier out and mop down the gun after every shooting trip and look for impact marks on the rear trunion.