Full length vs underfolder

About 2-3 years ago I bought (2) Yugo Underfolders as more of an investment than anything. They are the earlier wood instead of synthetic ones. They are excellent firearms but I do not like firing underfolders due to the metal on my face. The width of the metal underfolder is a bit different. Neither has been shot and it looks like I made a good investment.

I wish I had bought one of the wood buttstocked versions when they could be bought for $500.00 or a bit cheaper. The yugo seems a bit heavier than any other AK (AKM) I have owned. The smoothness of the bolt cycle really amazes me. Much tighter on both of mine than any other AK type firearm I have owned before or since...even my Saigas.

I don't know how much you paid for your Yugo kit but it will probably be a profitable endeavor to complete it.

Edited by t165
  • 4 weeks later...

Underfolders can be cool, but it depends on how well the kit was put together. They tend to be or get loose, and that bugs me. But I do like the look of it, and with some basic fiddling around (taking it apart) you can get it to fit tight. Id say if you dont have another AK already, go with the fixed stock, then for your second one go with an underfolder.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the UF's a lot. A Yugo UF fits my arms better than a WASR with a Warsaw stock. The Yugo Fixed is also a much more comfortable length than the WASR's.

I'd say it is definately worth it because the fixed stocks don't seem as common as the UF's. As you see above, some ppl just prefer fixed.

You also can't put a side POSP mount on the UF (and be able to fold it)--whereas that's not an issue with the fixed.

BTW what were those coordinates again where the boat went down. . .

Tough break on the UF kits.

My UF has a tiny wiggle too. So far I don't notice it in my stance. Besides UF's are meant to be fired folded and sideways gangsta style. lol

I personally do not prefer underfolders, but I will admit that they look badass, and may make a fine CQB gun.

All of the ones I have used had wobble, which coupled with the poor cheek-weld the UF gives, has an effect on accuracy at distance.

Also, I make accuracy shots in a bladed stance. When in a bladed stance, its almost impossible to get the UF stock to stay in the pocket of the shoulder correctly. Those who shoot in a squared stance do not seem to have this problem.

Have Vector/Yugo underfolder milled reciever.. :super: Well made/tight. Just that the stock is too wide for comfortable shoulder fit, as on all underfolders. :unsure: Cool factor is A1. :devil: Prefer solid, or sidefolder (Ace/Tromix), even a Romanian sidefolder better. :smoke: