Siaga factory 10 rounder - 15 rounder maybe?

I noticed that the saiga factory ten rounder is half as long as a milsurp 30. I know Tapco has a plus 5 follower, and the Saiga follower is identical to a 30 rounder. Taking off half allows 15 rounds, al la M1 Carbine! Looks like it would be handy for an around the house gun. I did it with a Ruger Mini 30 magazine a few years back and made 14 rounders. Anyone trimmed theirs, or used the Tapco plus 5? I don't have a limit here, and I will have five 922 compliance parts (KVAR stock, pistol grip and Tapco G2 trigger group from DPH) so high cap is not an issue.

ALso, the factory mag spring, in true communist form redundancy, is three times longer than the mag body. I think I would be safe to chop a third or so off so it will fit with the shorter follower.

Update,

Cutting the follower and trimming some spots on the spring base/guide allow 15 rounds. I cut the spring too short, however, and the last half does not have enough "snap" to get the rounds up and feed right. I guess I start again with a full length spring and not cut so much! I had it working perfect at 14 , but trimmed the spring more and flubbed it up.

No I need to pick up another spring. I hate to cannibalize a 30 for this. ANyone got a spare they would like to sell cheap?

I tweaked the spring to improve rear lift until I get a longer spring. Loaded it with 15 rounds each time for today's range session. The 10 rounder turned 15 rounder worked flawlessly. I am sure that the weapon's recoil shock and impulse help keep the bullets advancing upwards properly with the short follower. After I put another 100 rounds through it with zero malfunctions, I will probably use this mag in the gun for my farm/home gun set up. Very handy, actually. I will keep a 30 on the shelf by it.

Edited by imarangemaster

It is sweet with 15. Kinda like an M1 carbine on steroids! I'll post some detailed pics this week end. Right now, my wife is asleep, sick in bed, and for me to go in there while she is asleep and start clanking around would not be a good thing! :cryss:

It is sweet with 15. Kinda like an M1 carbine on steroids! I'll post some detailed pics this week end. Right now, my wife is asleep, sick in bed, and for me to go in there while she is asleep and start clanking around would not be a good thing! :cryss:

Oh sure, put your marriage ahead of our needs for 15-round magazines.

That's fine, we see how it is :haha:

Here are the pics, as promised. The 15 rounder is very handy, and is what I will use in it for my house gun .

First is a pic of a standard Mil-surp follower and the trimmed follower. Also pictured is the spring. On the left is what I am using attached to the bottom locking plate. There are two pieces cut off. In retrospect, I would leave the middle one on. When cutting the spring, make sure you duplicate the back of the spring is longer than the front by having the the top coil and bottom coil at the rear.

15mag1.jpg

Below is the top of the spring. I bent it to give the rear of the follower a little extra kick up. I did this to compensate for the spring not being long enough.

15mag3.jpg

I decided how much to trim the follower by removing the base plate and slowly filling the magazine with 15 rounds, using the spring with a little tension in my hand to keep it tight. The follower protruded and I scored it flush with the bottom of the magazine. I remover it and cut it about 1/16" shorter than the scribed line to allow it to seat in the weapon with the mag full.

Bellow is the base plate lock/spring guide after trimming. As you can see I did not just cut it off, but had to taper the sides and front to keep the compressing spring from hanging up on the flat trimmed top. Notice I also trimmed off the top off the rear piece that captures the spring, as it held up the compressed spring about 3/32" .

15mag2.jpg

You could also just buy a Tapco +5 follower instead of trimming yours, but I decided just to trim it.

The only problem I initially had was the last two rounds were too slow coming up cycling by hand. Aftyer kicking up the base by bending the spring, it compensated. I did about 100 rounds plinking with this mag and it went fine. If I do another, I will probably get Tapco +5 followers, and leave another coil or two than I did.

Edited by imarangemaster
I decided how much to trim the follower by removing the base plate and slowly filling the magazine with 15 rounds, using the spring with a little tension in my hand to keep it tight. The follower protruded and I scored it flush with the bottom of the magazine. I remover it and cut it about 1/16" shorter than the scribed line to allow it to seat in the weapon with the mag full.

Damn, that was a good idea.

I'll definitely be doing this.

I got started on this last night. So far, it's not feeding the last 3 of 15 rounds reliably (cycled by hand).

But, I still need to reshape the last spring coil, although I left mine a bit longer than yours. I also need to smooth the cuts on the follower, there's still all kinds of burrs hanging off it. I'm sure that doesn't enhance reliability.

I bent the back of the top oif the spring up at an angle, mid coil to give it a little kick. I polished the trimmed follower also. I found that the recoil of the bolt slamming to the rear helps it function. Feeding by hand it messes up every once in a while, but firing it is 100% so far. The bolt slamming back seems to help.

• 4 weeks later...

I made some 15 round magazines years ago out of factory ones. They're not hard to make at all. You've just got to be careful if you live in a state where 15 rounds is the limit. You don't want to take too much off the follower. You could also just buy these and call it a day. http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=MAG0605SINGLE

You could also get these floor plates from K-var and you'll wind up with 2 US made parts in your magazine. https://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=334&page=1

Those US made floor plates were very hard to come by before this.