Your favorite US S12 Mag  

272 members have voted

1. 1. If you could have only one US made S12 mag, it would be:

• AGP 10-round
    • Surefire 10-round
    • Surefire 12-round
    • Promag 10-round

I did a few searches, and I didn't see a poll with this simple information.

So, if you could only own one type of US manufactured Saiga-12 mag, which type would it be?

Please vote only if you've tried more than one type, or if you've been so happy with one that you only plan to buy more of that type.

I left off the factory 5 round and 8 round, because they're kind of in a class of their own... as is the MD-20.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to hear why people voted the way they did. For example, whether they really like a mag or just consider it the worst of the evils. The fact that some people opt for the factory mags leaves me to believe that the mags in the polls might leave a little (or a lot) to be desired.

jonblack

The AGPs have been around the longest and despite their issues, I think more people are comfortable with that. I myself would like to have seen a Surefire 8 rounder on your list. That's just me though.

Corbin

AGPs if I had to have only ONE US mag, of those listed. If Mike's drum was listed, I'd have picked it instead, as I can get Russkie 8 rounders also and still meet the letter of the poll.

The question was.."if you could have only ONE US MADE MAGAZINE".

Yes, I CAN read and comprehend, Cobra. ONE US made mag, then as many RUSSIAN as I want.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

I have 2 AGP 10s. Both work good and have had no problems with them. They are fun on the range and put a smile on the face of anyone who shoots my S12. But they too big for feild use.

I bought my S12 to hunt with. I hunt in some extreme conditions. So any further mag purchaces i make will be 5 rounders. I like the idea of just reaching in my bags and pulling out a new mag for a quick reload. Instead of fumbling with shells reloading a conventional tube mag.

The question was.."if you could have only ONE US MADE MAGAZINE".

Yes, I CAN read and comprehend, Cobra. ONE US made mag, then as many RUSSIAN as I want.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

To clarify things for you Patriot...I read your post and I fully understood that. :rolleyes: My opinion on the matter is exactly the same as yours and I already have at least one of every mag that is available for the S-12.

I was commenting because others were taking the thread off track by talking ONLY about Russian mags, or mags not included in the vote. What is the point of saying you do not want to vote? Just don't show up at the polls.

^^^^and that's the problem with this poll and many others. To be objective, you have to own all the mags mentioned and have some time running them to form a good opinion. I own all but the Surfire, all seem to have good and bad points that can be overcome in most cases with minor tweeking. At this point, I don't have the time with the Promag as the AGP, but all things considered at this point they both seem to be reliable after a little tlc. The Russian 5's & 8's are the benchmark in terms of wear resistance and reliability out of the box.

Edited by 6500rpm

First look at 10rd Promag today. Got two in. Aestetically they look great, but that is as far as the honeymoon went.

The follower rocks back and forth, and as others have pointed out, it comes up too far. I am going to ask if they have any plans to improve the follower. If not, I will have to give these a big thumbs down. I also bought a used AGP off of gunbroker and it has functioned flawlessly through 300 rounds, the Promag didn't make it 5 rounds before I got a FTF. It also required fitting where the AGP fit without any fitting at all. Clear winner is AGP in my eyes unless Promag improves their product.

Edited by rbthntr64

Most every US Saiga mag out there has at one time or another required some kind of tweaking to get them to work right. Whether it's first Gen AGPs having the follower hang up, second Gen AGPs having front tabs break off or having the halves come apart, Surefire 12 rounders breaking tabs when shooting 3" magnums, Promags having their followers stick up too high or even the venerable MD-20 drum having brittle feed lips, ALL mags have had issues. Fortunately, pretty much all of the manufacturers stand behind their products. Not sure how the Wrathmaker guys are with customer service, since they weren't around here much by the time I showed up.

My experience with the Surefires have been good. I haven't messed with the Promags, but I hear that once they get the "cork & fork" treatment, they work pretty well. I'm looking forward to putting the MD-20 through her paces soon.

Corbin

I already have at least one of every mag that is available for the S-12.

Do you have the VEPR-12 mags that fit and function in the Saiga-12 mag well? :haha:

I didn't vote as I don't have any of the US mags. So guys....which US mag is the best? Now I'm curious too.

Edited by us_dragunov
I already have at least one of every mag that is available for the S-12.

Do you have the VEPR-12 mags that fit and function in the Saiga-12 mag well? :haha:

I didn't vote as I don't have any of the US mags. So guys....which US mag is the best? Now I'm curious too.

Ya got me there...I should have said every mag available here in the US... I do have the regular S-12 mag well mag, and it's a better fit in there than the other mags I've tried so far....being made for it I guess it should be.

So, not a lot of love for the Surefire 12 rnd mags, eh? I just bought 5 of em for $47 apiece. Actually I just bought a Saiga 12 IZ-109 on gunbroker today, and bought those mags because I suspected they would not last at that price. The 12 rounders do look pretty damn long, but I couldn't pass up that shell capacity for that price, esp as most online shops seem to be sold out and they are going for ~$65+ each on gunbroker now.

Besides their length, are there any other significant downsides to the Surefire 12 rnd mags?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

There's nothing wrong with the Surefire mags. Most people are just going to vote for the mag that has been around the longest and had more exposure. The AGPs had their fair share of problems early on. Their customer service is good so they have earned a good reputation. SGM also has great customer service. There are even advantages to the SGM mags, like smoother feeding and the ability to be converted to anything from 2 rds, 5, 8, or 10, without having to buy anything extra. I don't really like to see these "polls" or comparisons on which products are "better" because it's all opinions, lots of times uninformed ones. It can misrepresent a product that just doesn't have the exposure and reputation yet.

Spoke with a Tech at ProMag today and was told that they are working on a replacement spring and follower to fix the issues with their Saiga 12 mag. I have done testing with their AK mags and found they worked well. Hopefully their fix will improve the success of their Saiga mag.

The AGPs have been around the longest and despite their issues, I think more people are comfortable with that. I myself would like to have seen a Surefire 8 rounder on your list. That's just me though.

Corbin

I think that the surefire 8rd mags are the most reliable.