Buying a AK for the first time - please help

I am very new to the Saiga 12's and the AK's - so please forgive me if this sounds like some dumb questions.

By the way this forum is awsome and the people using it seem to be great as well.

I have been reaserching and trying to figure out how to buy an AK. It has been educational and interesting. But I currently still have some confusion.

I am going to a local gun show this weekend to buy 1 maybe 2 (funds allowing) and I have a couple of questions on the 922r compliance of the AK rifle.

This is why I am confused.

When I bought my Saiga 12's they came in the sporting style to be able to ship to the united states and comes to the US - 922r compliant (sporting configuration). Then we are able to change parts to customize them the way we want (tatical if we wish) as long as we have 10 or less foreign parts on it. I understand this part.

But

When looking at the AK rifle - the pistol grips are moved ahead, they have the wood stock and hand guards, foreign magazines, and foreign flash hider or thread protector, and they look as not to be the sporting configuration as the Saiga 12.

? ? ? I guess my confusion and my questions are how can the AK's come here in the pistol grip configuration and the Saiga 12 cannot.

and

? ? ? When I am shopping for my AK's how am I to determine what AK to buy to make sure that I am legal (by the way I live in Florida) - - - I have read in this forum that some people remove the noncompliant parts before the call in of the background check and before the purchase ( unfortunatly I belive this is what started my confusion) - and yes - ( :rolleyes: I realize sometimes it does not take much for confusion to set in :rolleyes: )

I have already run into a couple of not so honest gun show sellers that had told me that if the AK has the dimple (where the magazine goes in) on the rifle that this was a Pre Ban AK. I don't believe this to be true from the info I have found as of yet so I know I need to be armed with good knowledge and what to look for so I do not get myself into trouble.

? ? ? I guess I also have some confusion on the Pre Ban AK's not sure of the meaning and what to look for and are they legal to buy and what AK's are not legal to buy.

AK's that I have been looking at are the Romainian AK-47 and the US Romanian AK-47-C (I realize the AK-47-C has all the US compliant parts on them so this one should not be an issue)- Also if I can find reasonable Balgarian AK 47 I may buy it.

Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.

Per 922r, here's the deal:

You can purchase a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun in it's original configuration and keep it as is, this is perfectly legal.

If you want to modify the weapon, you must reduce the number of foreign parts to 10 in order to be compliant.

922r has nothing to do with the background check, I'm not sure where you found this information or how you got to this conclusion.

You probably shouldn't be purchasing any weapons which are suspect, if you find a Chinese AK which has a US made muzzle brake, this is suspect. A dealer should let you inspect the weapon, if it appears to be compliant, it probably is.

Pre-Ban currently doesn't really mean anything anymore, since the Clinton AWB ended. It is unlikely that you're going to find one which is "illegal" outside of 922r. The only "illegal" AK's I've heard of are the very few with the extra hole to make them full-auto, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you're going to find one of those.

This site has a list of all of the parts for an AK.

The only AK which people have been recommending NOT buying is the WASR-10, many people have had issues with them; some are fine some aren't, it is kind of a crap shoot.

If you find something you like, talk to the dealer, many of them will be more than happy to talk to you, especially if you seem honestly interested in buying from them. If you find a modified weapon ask the dealer if it meets 922r compliance, if he has no idea what you're talking about, say thanks and move on. If the dealer isn't interested in talking with you, just move on to someone who is. There is one dealer who goes to the VA shows, they have slightly cheaper prices, but their employees tend to be dicks, I'd rather pay a bit more for better service.

BTW, which show are you going to?

Edited by vbrtrmn

1st off, there are no bans in effect. Today "Pre-ban", "post-ban" are used as terms to justify the high price to ignorant folks.

2nd: 85% of the AKs you see for sale are built here in the USA (and not imported) from cut up military rifle parts that are imported and US parts to comply with 922r. The other 15% are imported in a neutered condition (restricted to 10 round capacity 'sporting mags'). These are modified by their importers to be able to legally use milsurp magazines.

3d: You'd see Saigas for sale in the standard AK configuration, too, but they sell as soon as they see the light of day.

Edited by nalioth

Ok,

thanks I feel a lot better now. Maybe too much research can cause you to "not being able to see the trees through the forest"

The WASR who makes that and how would I identify?

BTW

I am going to the:

Southern Classic Gun and Knife show

Central Florida Fairgrounds

4603 W Colonial Dr

Orlando, FL 32808-8158

March 21 - 22

Sat 9-5 Sun 10-5

(407) 295-3247

Thanks For the info

I appreciate it a lot

Any vendor will be able to tell you what "kind" of weapon you're purchasing, it'll also say the model on the paper work. If they don't know, don't bother buying it.

WASR-10 - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mages&gbv=2

Researching is a skill and part of doing research is asking questions. I tried to answer as best as I could, because you came off as you were genuinely interested in purchasing a weapon and you had obviously done some research of your own. The people who I don't bother with are the dumb asses who don't bother doing any research at all and just want something because it is cool or some crap like that.

Good luck at the show, I was going to say if you were going to the Richmond VA show, I'd be happy to help you pick. Glad you're in another pro-gun state! I've got a good friend in St. Johns, FL who's coming up to visit soon.

Edited by vbrtrmn