My Weaponlight Project

So I made a little more progress on my shorty. I was going to wait until it's painted, but I'll post that later.

Anyway, I wanted a bright spotlight, but I wanted a more "built-in" look. Here's what I came up with.

First I had to find the right donor flashlight. Since it's experimental and I was going to carve it up, I didn't want to spend too much.

Here's the one: a Husky from Home Depot. Rated at 145 lumens with a "thrower" reflector and Cree 3W LED. 25 bucks!

L4.jpg

So I turned down the head as small as practical and bead-blasted the body (I'm going to MolyResin everything later).

L1.jpg

The body will be used as a VFG and contain the batteries and the switch.

L3.jpg

The head will mount on the handguard right in front of the gas plug.

L2.jpg

Of course, I had to mod the gas plug since access to the front of it is gone. Position 1:

GasPlug1.jpg

Position 2:

GasPlug2.jpg

I put a spherical radius on the plunger and milled grooves in the back of the plug. No tools required to change settings, but it holds great and clicks back and forth in a very satisfying way.

I'll take more pics when it's done and painted.

Edited by BobAsh
  • Like 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I made a little more progress on my shorty. I was going to wait until it's painted, but I'll post that later.   Anyway, I wanted a bright spotlight, but I wanted a more "built-in" look. Here's

That gas plug mod is pretty cool.

No problem, Bob, cool is cool.   When Mike D and I were discussing getting the plugs mass-produced, there was some talk of a lever to assist in rotation. It just complicated the manufacture and woul

Posted Images

Ah HA! I guessed the light when you alluded to an idea for that front space . . . but the VFG though, you got me there!

Fuckin' SWEET Bob! Really fuckin' sweet!!! :super:

Oh yeah, and the plug, y'all could probably sell the shit out of 'em . . . Maybe clean it up a bit, but the idea with the "lever" is great!

Edited by Raoul_Duke
That gas plug mod is pretty cool.

Thanks bro! Similar to what you are doing, but only the original 2 settings of course. I never liked having to use a tool to change settings.

I'm guessing you're going to run the wires up to the light?

Yep.

I like the skull. :super: Any chance of that gas plug going up as an option on the S17? I was hoping to get a larger hand guard for mine when I get it.

The skull is going to be available both as an option and sold separately. The gas plug is is not currently being considered as a product.

Oh yeah, and the plug, y'all could probably sell the shit out of 'em . . . Maybe clean it up a bit, but the idea with the "lever" is great!

I probably will turn a lever of some kind, that's just a thumbscrew from the hardware store. It has to unscrew so you can remove the plug for cleaning.

No problem, Bob, cool is cool.

When Mike D and I were discussing getting the plugs mass-produced, there was some talk of a lever to assist in rotation. It just complicated the manufacture and would've raised the price enough to be left out.

Who knows? Maybe one day. I'm still more after the self-regulating plug, as no adjustment is needed then.

• Like 1

I probably will turn a lever of some kind, that's just a thumbscrew from the hardware store. It has to unscrew so you can remove the plug for cleaning.

You gonna put a skull on it? ;)

But of course, like pretty much everyone else, I'd love a self-regulating plug. But I've got some of Gunfixr's plugs on the way from Mike, and that would pretty much make those obsolete in comparison . . . But who cares? Keep on tinkering Gunfixr . . .

You should consider the gas plug mod.

I hate having to carry a tool to depress the plunger and another one to turn the knob.

(yea yea I know key and a quarter but still...)

I agree with Frost, twist Tony's arm a little and make those gas plug mods available. :up:

You should consider the gas plug mod.

I hate having to carry a tool to depress the plunger and another one to turn the knob.

(yea yea I know key and a quarter but still...)

I agree with Frost, twist Tony's arm a little and make those gas plug mods available. :up:

BIG +1, Put me down for two when ya get em done Bob and the skull on the top of the lever...just too cool for words lol, you guys been eating more fish lately ?? :)

Edited by gmorgan
That's pretty damn inventive!

So what do you think about the light itself? Decent quality?

Does it have a "clicker" on the bottom of the tube, or can you run it off a pressure switch?

Yeah the light is amazing for the price, built very solid and it really throws a beam out there. It has a rubberized clicker at the end of the tube, but I've already removed that. Normally the batteries would load from the top, but I'm going to load them from the bottom through the tailcap. Up at the top of the tube I'm putting in a push-on/push-off switch. I don't care for the pressure momentary switches.

No problem, Bob, cool is cool.

When Mike D and I were discussing getting the plugs mass-produced, there was some talk of a lever to assist in rotation. It just complicated the manufacture and would've raised the price enough to be left out.

Who knows? Maybe one day. I'm still more after the self-regulating plug, as no adjustment is needed then.

Yeah, Tony and I have designed quite a few gas plugs actually. The self regulator would be the way to go.

Our main problem is lack of time for R&D testing!

That's pretty damn inventive!

So what do you think about the light itself? Decent quality?

Does it have a "clicker" on the bottom of the tube, or can you run it off a pressure switch?

Yeah the light is amazing for the price, built very solid and it really throws a beam out there. It has a rubberized clicker at the end of the tube, but I've already removed that. Normally the batteries would load from the top, but I'm going to load them from the bottom through the tailcap. Up at the top of the tube I'm putting in a push-on/push-off switch. I don't care for the pressure momentary switches.

Sounds good. I'm gonna have to check this light out on the next trip to HD.

Looking forward to finished setup.

Instead of turning a knob for that adjuster, take a look at some knurled thumbscrews. There are millions of different things available. for literally pennies each.

Yeah, if it was going to be a production item, I would just source a screw/knob. Actually a socket head cap screw looks pretty good in there!