Cheapest conversion possible?

Well, the trigger guard of course, Tromix or Saigatech are the best choices. But the fire group and hammer can be re-used. You will need a new single stage single catch trigger from K-Var, http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=339&page=1 and some type of grip. Usually a SAW type is the most popular. Check out Greg at http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=91309284 for the grip. That is basically all you will need, and lil mechanical skill to put it all together. Good luck..

Edited by rtzracer

Gun shows, the "for sale" section of this forum, e-bay, and the "for sale" section on the akforum.net site are good places to look for parts. I have saved a lot of money buying parts from people that have extra stuff laying around. I just takes persistence and time to find what you need - but it is out there. Listing what you are looking for on the "want to buy" section helps too - let the sellers come to you.

Well, the trigger guard of course, Tromix or Saigatech are the best choices. But the fire group and hammer can be re-used. You will need a new single stage single catch trigger from K-Var, http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=339&page=1 and some type of grip. Usually a SAW type is the most popular. Check out Greg at http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=91309284 for the grip. That is basically all you will need, and lil mechanical skill to put it all together. Good luck..

Greg's out of stock on the saw grip. I was just there yesterday.

Check here, they have them: http://www.tac47industries.com/content-pro...style_grip.html

I too am trying to do a basic PG conversion on the cheap. I figure it's going to run about $54 for the Saigatech trigger guard, $50 for a tromix modded FCG, and $35 for a Tapco original style AK stock. That puts me at a total of $140, probably plus a few bucks for shipping etc, so let's say $150.

One could opt to cut that sum slightly by using an unmodified Tapco G2, but I think it's worth a few more dollars for one that's going to be less of an operation to install.

I have a Tapco AK grip lying around, so I'm going to use that for now. Down the road, I plan on getting an Ergo AK grip, which is another $35.

Edited by dae.edorian
Save the money on the trigger guard and re-use the one on the S-12. Also, if you already have a G2 trigger group, modify it yourself and save some cash there too. Cut the square hole for the pistol group nut and use a standard AK grip and nut.

If you do this, what will you use to stop the safety when switching from "Safe" to "Fire"? You would have to remove the sporter plate, which has the built-in safety catch.

I wanted to do the same thing and reuse the trigger guard if I can help it.

Edited by Picard
Save the money on the trigger guard and re-use the one on the S-12. Also, if you already have a G2 trigger group, modify it yourself and save some cash there too. Cut the square hole for the pistol group nut and use a standard AK grip and nut.

If you do this, what will you use to stop the safety when switching from "Safe" to "Fire"? You would have to remove the sporter plate, which has the built-in safety catch.

I wanted to do the same thing and reuse the trigger guard if I can help it.

Just cut the stop off the sporter plate and screw or rivet it back in place. Here is a pic of how I did mine.

saiga12149.jpg

saiga1203242.jpg

ETA Another pic

Edited by blurted

I initially thought I would try to salvage my trigger guard but the front rivet was holding on for life! It was tougher than the trigger guard, and I didn't think I pried on it very hard. The guard snapped right at that front rivet & was basically useless unless welded at that point.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just trying to warn anybody going in wanting to reuse the trigger guard. It's easy to break so take your time and completely remove the rivets before trying to tap tap it off with a chisel.

I haven't seen this done before but this was my solution for the safety stop issues! Center punch along the drag line about 3/16" from the bottom of the receiver using a #45 drill=.082 spot drill about .025 deep, try not to break through, the lock in action is sweet, very hard to shoot even in a hurry, and the return action smooth. Cost $0

MVC-196F.jpg