Saiga 12 pistol?

I think it's called AOW... but for the $200 tax... I would just do a SBS. ;)

You'd have to do a SBS cause you can't do an AOW on a receiver that was already built into a shotgun

An AOW is a $5 stamp. I guess they need to be built from the factory with a pistol grip.

I think it's called AOW... but for the $200 tax... I would just do a SBS. ;)

You'd have to do a SBS cause you can't do an AOW on a receiver that was already built into a shotgun

An AOW is a $5 stamp. I guess they need to be built from the factory with a pistol grip. If you bent your own receiver? Thats what I was refering to. I would not convert my awsome Saiga to pistol. That saiga of mine needed no drum mod or AGP mag mod. Took it to the range yesterday and not a single problem with mags or the cheap Federal 71/2 shot from wally world. This gun rocks.

Even a shorty 12ga pump shotgun can't be considered a pistol because of the bore diameter. That's why you only see .410 pistols. Anything larger is SBS or AOW, and as previously stated an AOW must be classified as such from the factory.

Personally, I've never understood the appeal of a pistol configuration of a gun that was designed to be fired from the shoulder. The entire concept seems impractical to me.

Edited by dae.edorian

To summarize all the posts above and add a bit more detail:

In short, you can't make a 20 gauge or 12 gauge pistol due the 'smooth bore'. Smooth bore 'pistols' are not pistols... they are AOWs and subject to the NFA. Regarding the diameter of the bore. 'Pistols' with rifling are no longer pistols at 20gauge and 12 gauge diameter. So, if you want 'pistol' with less than an 18" barrel, you will need to register it as an AOW, Destructive Device or a Short Barrelled Shotgun. I haven't seen anyone register an S12 as a DD... and frankly I think most of us would prefer if everyone just steers clear of articulating how unsporting the shotgun is that it would necessitate a DD status to the BATFE.

For NFA, the Form 1 making tax is $200. So if you're going to build one yourself... you may as well just make an SBS out of a 'sporting' Saiga. That way you can use a stock or put it in a pistol configuration. If you live in a state that does not allow SBSs... then you MIGHT want to try to make your own receiver and cannibalize an S12 for all the necessary parts and make an AOW... but damn that would be time consuming and expensive.

Once an AOW is made, the Form 4 transfer tax is $5... but it will cost you $200 to make it on a Form 1. Alternatively, you could have a C2 SOT make it on a Form 2... then there is no making tax... but you'll need to pay the C2 SOT for his effort and then pay the $5 to have it transferred to you via a Form 4.