7.62 mag conversion (to rifle)

Well guys, i've been looking for a while, found a link to filing down a .223 for the mag conversion but i havent found one for a 7.62 yet.... can someone point me in the right direction? Possibly with detailed pics of what to grind down and how much, what tools are required, etc. Thanks.

While I am very gracious of what you have given me, because it does contain information, what I am looking for is more of a laymans guide to doing this. Sometimes when you guys are talking about doing things to certain parts, I dont know what those certain parts are, or look like, or where they are on the receiver. Anything else?

It sounded like you just wanted information on making the magazines fit.

As for doing the pistol grip conversion, there are a number of good web pages that do it step by step. Google "Saiga Conversion" and at least two pop up on top. The reference to the bullet guide in my post I referred you to is a small piece that sits below and in front of the chamber to allow military magazines to feed properly. Military Klashnikovs have this, Saigas incorporate it in their magazine design to "sporterize" the weapon for importation.

Browse through the posts from the last three or four months ago to present. I got my first Saiga in November, and found this list. Read through and see what you find.

iamrangemaster i appreciate your feedback alot. Im not sure if I was clear or not. What I wanted was a step by step tutorial on modifying the 7.62 receiver to accept military standard magazines. Noliath, the pictures of the gentleman modifying the .223 on the new member sticky doesnt have really clear pictures. I was curious in anyone had more of a "fool proof" one. Im just very hesitant to take the blade to my Saiga just yet as im sure you can imagine. :smoke:

There is no such thing as "fool proof" instructions, because nobody knows if fools can read.

It is very simple and the instructions are found in several threads here.

This is a magazine latch.

yhst-15245318071470_2044_4723695.jpeg

This is where it's found on the rifle:

gg_rk103_43.gif

Edited by nalioth

Order Dinzag's bullet guide kit. Drill & tap one hole (as described on his site dinzagarms.com) and install (just eyeball it to center it). Then file the mag catch little by little until it locks a surplus mag in. I did mine with a hand drill and even tapped it with the same drill being very careful not to put too much pressure or speed on the tap.

x39_bg_rtk.jpg

x39_bg_round_inst.jpg

Then file the mag catch little by little until it locks a surplus mag in.

You'll want to fit as many mlitary magazines as possible, as they vary somewhat in their tolerances (just like any mass manufactured object).

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start another thread, I hope you don't mind me adding to yours. I'm getting ready to convert my 7.62 and I've already prepared myself for having to cut new holes on the bottom as that's just the kind of luck that I have, plus mine has dimples which seems to mean that I'll end up cutting. In the step by step write-up, he states that his template is not to scale, does anyone have a template from when they did their mod? It looks pretty simple from his diagram and the detailed measurements, but I do remember that I barely survived 8th grade wood shop with all 10 digits attached.

Gerry

Here's some more for you:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

WOW, looks like a lot of steps, especially for a newb like me.

Anyone on here do it?

Edited by GerryV

Anyone on here do it?

Is this your attempt at April Foolery?

My April Foolery answer: No, none of us own a gun at all. This is all an elaborate charade forum, and we all actually raise and show pedigreed poodles. All this gun talk is just code wods for "curly coated" or "straight haired". . .

Anyone on here do it?

Is this your attempt at April Foolery?

My April Foolery answer: No, none of us own a gun at all. This is all an elaborate charade forum, and we all actually raise and show pedigreed poodles. All this gun talk is just code wods for "curly coated" or "straight haired". . .

HAHA, you didnt get what I meant.

I meant, does anyone on here provide this service? As in, I buy the parts, send my rifle to them, they do the conversion for me so I dont screw up my gun, and I get a properly done conversion that functions as it should.

I know there are a couple businesses that do it, but Im wondering if any individuals on here would do it.

HAHA, you didnt get what I meant.

I meant, does anyone on here provide this service? As in, I buy the parts, send my rifle to them, they do the conversion for me so I dont screw up my gun, and I get a properly done conversion that functions as it should.

I know there are a couple businesses that do it, but Im wondering if any individuals on here would do it.

Willing to help with conversions - Saiga-12.com