Adjusting drum spring tension

Hey guys.

I got my first drum a couple weeks back and I love it. Fits solid and looks great. I tend to use it with the cheaper lightweight loads however and was wanting to lower the spring tension down to maybe 2 turns instead of the 3 it's currently at. I've read the manual several times and THINK I understand it, but since this is my first drum, I'm not familiar with the internal workings and I'm a little anxious. :unsure:

I couldn't find any videos posted on YouTube or PhotoBucket that shows this proceedure. Does anybody know of any? It's probably a lot easier than I'm thinking it is, but I just want to exercise caution and see if there's a tutorial somewhere in addition to the manual.

Corbin

I'm not sure how it works on the drum, I have not taken mine apart yet.

But with my AK drum I pull the cover off, then remove the dummy rounds, then I'm free to spin the spindle, you should be able to add and remove tension that way I would think.

Just put the dummy rounds back in to hold the position. :D

I went ahead and took it apart today (well, yesterday). It was pretty straight forward, but having never done it, I had hoped someone had posted pics or done a video of it. Oh well. I put it at 2.5 turns. We'll see how that shoots in the morning.

Reattaching the metal clip without scratching the backplate was the hardest part. Mainly getting it to line up with the groove in the central post. What I found worked best was to put the retaining clip back on before installing the backplate screws. Otherwise, the screws suck the plate down a tad and makes the groove in the rod not line up with the clip.

Corbin

• 5 months later...