Need a fix for low brass FTF's?!?!?

I have redesigned the piston. I took a 3 port gun that woundn't eject Federal bulk pack ammo. Put the piston in and it can now fire the weak Winchester Universal out of a fully loaded drum with the spring at the max setting!

This new piston is not intended for and should NOT be used in a Saiga-12 with 4 fully exposed ports. It will completely over power the gas system.

This fix is primarily intended for 3 port guns, or a 4 port gun that has some of it's ports partially or completely blocked.

I don't have a 2 port gun to test it in ( I would like to get a 2 port gun if anyone has one for sale). But I am not to optimistic on it allowing a 2 port to cycle low brass. But will let you know when I find out. Past that, if you have a 2 port gun you really should be contacting CGW to have the ports added by warantee.

I am still testing a few variations of the design but am hoping to be shipping them with in 3 to 4 weeks. I am also going to try and keep the price low on them and am hoping I can sell them for $25 to $30 each.

I have redesigned the piston. I took a 3 port gun that woundn't eject Federal bulk pack ammo. Put the piston in and it can now fire the weak Winchester Universal out of a fully loaded drum with the spring at the max setting!

This new piston is not intended for and should NOT be used in a Saiga-12 with 4 fully exposed ports. It will completely over power the gas system.

This fix is primarily intended for 3 port guns, or a 4 port gun that has some of it's ports partially or completely blocked.

I don't have a 2 port gun to test it in ( I would like to get a 2 port gun if anyone has one for sale). But I am not to optimistic on it allowing a 2 port to cycle low brass. But will let you know when I find out. Past that, if you have a 2 port gun you really should be contacting CGW to have the ports added by warantee.

I am still testing a few variations of the design but am hoping to be shipping them with in 3 to 4 weeks. I am also going to try and keep the price low on them and am hoping I can sell them for $25 to $30 each.

Mike, I received two MD-20's. [EV-5076, EV-5078] was I supposed to get a plug? None yet! How do I know if my gun has 2-3 or 4 gas ports, My plug has a 1 and a 3 printed in White - No #2? The drum will not eject the 2nd, 4th and 6th rounds - then all 14 left in the drum come out OK - after the spring is let off some. The spring is set at the factory shipped setting now!

Also, please tell me if the "12 Gauge Winchester Ranger Low Recoil 00 Buckshot" which measure 2.32" will work with the MD-20.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got to test the gunfixr plug in my S-12 yesterday. My Saiga is cut to 19" and I drilled the 4th port when I converted it. The drum functioned 100% with Federal bulk in the drum. Initially, I was getting FTF's with the Blackjack buffer I had installed and removed it while initially testing the drum several months ago. Winchester bulk wasn't enough to cycle the action previously and now it hammers through 100% just like the Federal with the gunfixr plug and, of course, no buffer.

I was using the Winchester ammo for the pump-actions and side by side, but now I don't need to. Mike, you did exceptionally well with this and if anyone has a 3 or 2 port shotgun with the gunfixr plug, this piston will probably do away with the need for removing the gas block and drilling another port to get 100% functionality if the plug doesn't do it on it's own.

Keep up the good work, Mike! :devil:

Thanks Mike,

My saiga fte buckshot 50% of the time, forget about birdshot. It has 3 ports that are unobstructed. I will need one of those pistons more than I needed that gas plug it seems.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I need to tweak my design and just haven't had the time. The problem is it works too damn good. I'm afraid (I KNOW) if I released in it's current state that it would lead to excessive gun wear. This design was intended for 3 port guns only. But just an example of how well it works... I tried it in a 4 port, 19 inch gun with Gunfixr's plug with the plug screw as far down, but between settings, as possible (meaning the gas system was only a few thousands from being shut off completely)... and I could flawlessly cycle winchester universal from a drum at it's highest (factory) spring setting.

I know how to tone it down though but just haven't had the time to test it. I think the need for a super piston has past. It seems Izhmash are sending us better guns and Cadiz does the warranty work on the bad batch we got.

But I do plan to eventually put out a piston. It will still be an increase in ejection power but not as much as my original, but still a good bit more than the factory. It will also be somewhat self cleaning but I'll tell you how later. (somewhat: meaning you will still need to clean your gas system but not nearly as much)

By a 3 port gun I am referring to a IZ-107 that I cut down to 19 inches. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 19 inch 3 port guns currently imported have larger diameter gas ports than the old 4 port 19 inch and 3 port !z-107's?

• 1 month later...

By a 3 port gun I am referring to a IZ-107 that I cut down to 19 inches. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the 19 inch 3 port guns currently imported have larger diameter gas ports than the old 4 port 19 inch and 3 port !z-107's?

I would like to buy one of these pistons when available. I have a 3 port and it will not cycle with Diana target loads.

Haven't tried the Walmart stuff. Everything else is fine and with Rio 00 and Gunfixers plug on 2, all is well. Tried changing the tappet to a KA but still no regular cycling.

And the low brass stuff on 3 is a no go at least from that Italian brand of Target ammo.