Help on Transfering Ammo in Texas - Private Sale

I have an ad on Texas Gun Trader to sell some 7.62x54R ammo. What is the best way I should go about handling the transfer to the buyer? I can't process Credit Cards, so how best would the transfer be handled? It's not worth it to try to find an FFL who ships and pay the transfer fee on a $70 sale. Any ideas for this situation - especially concerning protecting both the buyer and myself from a fraudlent transaction?

Thanks

Why would you need an FFL to ship ammo? UPS ground delivers as long as you have the sticker on the outside of the box marked ordanance, etc.. If you're just talking about how to take payment, can use paypal if you have it setup which is pretty easy to do. Could always get a cashiers check or money order. But if you're just talking about mailing ammo, the basics for using UPS are...

- It must be in a sturdy box. I usually reinforce the box by wrapping filliment tape around it in both directions and that satisfies them that it isn't going to break open.

- Must be sent via ground services (ie. no Second Day Air)

- Must be labeled ORM-D.

Do some searches you can find the references on UPS' website, and you can also find some pictures of the ORM-D label to print off and use, and/or make your own.

Why would you need an FFL to ship ammo? UPS ground delivers as long as you have the sticker on the outside of the box marked ordanance, etc.. If you're just talking about how to take payment, can use paypal if you have it setup which is pretty easy to do. Could always get a cashiers check or money order. But if you're just talking about mailing ammo, the basics for using UPS are...

- It must be in a sturdy box. I usually reinforce the box by wrapping filliment tape around it in both directions and that satisfies them that it isn't going to break open.

- Must be sent via ground services (ie. no Second Day Air)

- Must be labeled ORM-D.

Do some searches you can find the references on UPS' website, and you can also find some pictures of the ORM-D label to print off and use, and/or make your own.

I know about not NEEDING an FFL to transfer in-state - I mentioned it because it solves the 'bonafide' or 'trust' problem I'm looking for help on, but didn't want to spend extra for.

What I'm asking is what should I do, just tell the buyer to 'trust' me that I'll actually send the ammo and have him send me a money order and cash it before sending? I have Paypal, but only have used it thru ebay, and both sides of the transaction arel handled thru their site. Not sure how to use Paypal independently on my own for a sale (plus I hate Paypal & they charge a fee).

Thanks for your info though.

I don't see a problem.

Buyer sends you a money order.

You cash it and send him his stuff.

Do we have that huge of a trust issue nowadays?

I hope not, but with all the fraud out there over the internet with so many scams - I was just wondering would the guy trust me. Everything I buy online is thru a reputable online store with a credit card.

I sold an M-1 Garand the other day for $2,600 - but we used my FFL to process his CC before I shipped it so it was not too much of an issue.

edit: Thanks Keith! - Tac-47 Industries in Houston great help!

Edited by BullShark012

Since your selling basic ammo, there shouldn't be any legal issues, you can ship directly to the buyer. The only caveat is you MUST put an "ORM-D Small Arms" marker on the box, just put it above the shipping label.

Here's the one I did up for myself, I release the image to the public domain, so make yourself a copy if you'd like.

ormd-smallarms.png

I don't see a problem.

Buyer sends you a money order.

You cash it and send him his stuff.

This is the way it is normaly done.

Ok, but the buyer has to 'trust' the seller to deliver. I guess that's it. Ofcourse, I'll hold up my end and ship the ammo....But if it were me, I'd be a little leary, if I was the buyer, sending my money to someone I don't know from adam and hoping I got the goods shipped timely (or at all). Maybe I'm just paranoid, but with all the scam artists out there the buyer really has to put his trust in the seller on Any non FTF transaction online that's not thru either a FFL or a bonified store. Like I said, I just did a transaction off TGT for $2,600 thru an FFL so we could process the buyer's CC first, with him having a fax copy of the FFL (and reviewing his website). Now I doubt I'd Ever send that kind of money by money order and just hope the guy on the other end was honest enough to ship it.

Edited by BullShark012

I would just say, if you're buying ammo out of a trade publication or person to person, I think you know what you're getting yourself into. If the guy buying from you has trust issues, he needs to go buy from Walmart or something then. I wouldn't think twice about sending a money order off to someone like this for ammo. I trust people first until they give me a reason not to in most cases. Even tho I've been burned by a few people, I still trust people inherently. I'd probably want to talk to you on the phone or something first, but other than that, wouldn't have a problem mailing the money first. That's how it works. If you get screwed, you've got the address and name from sending the payment, so...

Maybe I'm just paranoid,
Paranoid an/or filled with all the wrong facts.

You see, you DON'T see all the 'good deals" that go down each and ever day, as they're normal.

So you're possibly basing your "all those scams out there" on a few "high profile" cases that are literally minor percentage points across the whole scale.

OTOH, I've sent US postal money orders for guns and accessories, and haven't ever had any issues with fraudulent sellers that I wasn't able to work out due to the United States Postal Money order involved (not even a cashiers or certified check gives you the clout a USPMO will).

ETA: The buyer may start wondering about you and your scruples if you start in on the "let's use an FFL as a broker", as this is really unheard of in my experience (except for really high dollar stuff [ $2600 ain't 'high dollar' I'm talking Purdeys and such])

If the buyer hasn't mentioned anything along these lines, I think your'e blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Edited by nalioth
He has every right to be a little cautious about dealing online.

Don't take crap from a moron who quotes himself in his signature. $2,600 is a nice chunk of change.

He's the seller. What does he have to be cautious about?

By the way, Fight Club awaits your 'moron' talk.

Don't take crap from a moron who quotes himself in his signature. $2,600 is a nice chunk of change.

Someone not wanting to deal with him. aka losing money. BTW I don't wanna argue with you I really don't have a problem with you. You should just try and treat other people like fellow humans is all.

Edited by saigafun12345

Someone not wanting to deal with him. aka losing money. BTW I don't wanna argue with you I really don't have a problem with you. You should just try and treat other people like fellow humans is all.

if transactions take place through the mail and with a postal money order wouldn't mail fraud come into to play as protection for the purchaser. no one really want to mess with the post office mail fraud is no joke! (probably has harsher sentence than murder)

if you or he wants the assurance of cc in the purchase paypal is probably the cheapest way to do the transaction, just up the price to include the fee. the seller pays all transaction fees related to cc use that is how the industry is set up, every time you use a cc the seller pays either a usage fee or a percentage of the transactions.

+1 for USPS money orders.

If I buy anything online, from a private party, I pay with a USPS money order. I also put a "USPS money orders only" tag in my ad when I sell anything. Also, from what I hear, they offer you more "protection", as opposed to Western Union. I'm not sure what exactly, but hey, that's what I hear.

But anyway, BullShark, being that you're the seller for this transaction, don't sweat it. If someone says they want to buy what you're selling, than they're pretty much saying that they trust you for it. If not, you won't even hear from them, and they won't attempt to buy your stuff.

I'm not familiar with the trading site you're selling on, but a feedback system is a pretty good way for people to gauge buyers/sellers.

Good luck with the transaction.

I looked in TGT for you ad and didn't see it. I did see the completely clueless guy trying to sell individual packs from an open Bulgarian spam can for $7.50 per 20. WTF??? :wacko:

If you are selling ammo via TGT at a decent price (<15 cents/round) then you should not have much problem finding a local buyer that will pay cash. This is especially true if you are selling large amounts (i.e., by the case (80 pounds) or pellet (1000+ pounds). You have to realize that this is how many of us buy our ammo. I had to borrow a friend's flat-bed trailer for my last ammo purchase. :smoke:

I have bought a LOT of stuff on the Internet and only been screwed once. The best thing to do is just check their feedback on all the major Forums. If I don't trust someone I either won't buy or will insist on a face-to-face transaction. Again, unless you have something special or unique (and 7.62x54R is about as common as it gets) then really no reason to ship because there will be local buyers within an easy driving distance.

Yes, USPS money order, sent via USPS mail makes it mail fraud.

The USPS has its own detectives to put on the trail of fraudees, so they are more on the ball when it comes to finding the crooks.

Told this by a Po Po Detective early in the internet sale days.