Differences between Tapco and KVAR

I am on the verge of converting my Saiga to an AK-103 clone, but after hearing some stuff: Tapco is NOT the stuff to go with on such a conversion?

If so, can someone please tell me the differences? I already have the majority of the 922 stuff to do the conversion, albeit Tapco.

I am on the verge of converting my Saiga to an AK-103 clone, but after hearing some stuff: Tapco is NOT the stuff to go with on such a conversion?

If so, can someone please tell me the differences? I already have the majority of the 922 stuff to do the conversion, albeit Tapco.

Tapco stocks, especially the folders are simply not well built. They don't handle much abuse. I went with a fixed k-var stock for that reason. I don't have to worry about it breaking on me in a bad situation. The only folder I would trust is the one from ACE which I'm debating on going to in the future.

The tapco stocks will work don't get us wrong but they are just not something I would put my life on.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

I have both the Tapco and K-Var fixed stocks. I wouldn't spend any money on any of the non-fixed Tapco stocks.

The K-Var is definitely a step up in quality. It feels thicker and more durable. It also has a slightly nicer finish to it and a trap-door in the butt for the cleaning kit.

The Tapco fixed stock isn't any less durable than the monte carlo stock that your rifle probably came with, so if you want to save some money and the slight loss in quality doesn't bother you then go for the Tapco. Considering that the K-Var fixed stock costs around 30 dollars more than the Tapco fixed stock, I'm not sure it's really worth it if you're just planning on plinking at the range.

Well I have a Tapco fixed stock on my rifle.

It's solid. Moving to a Kvar would be more of an aesthetics thing really.

If anyone's torture tested both stock side by side... and has pictures... I'd give heed, but sounds like hearsay as far as the fixed stocks go.

The folders and the T6 seem like utter crap... but hey... you paid like 40 bucks for them so what'dya want?

Well I have a Tapco fixed stock on my rifle.

It's solid. Moving to a Kvar would be more of an aesthetics thing really.

If anyone's torture tested both stock side by side... and has pictures... I'd give heed, but sounds like hearsay as far as the fixed stocks go.

The folders and the T6 seem like utter crap... but hey... you paid like 40 bucks for them so what'dya want?

dunno, tapco stuff make look/feel cheap. But its defintly durable. During the install of my tapco t6 stock, i got frustrated because i drilled a crooked hole and couldnt get it on. I chucked it against the concrete wall in my basement as hard as i could and it didnt even get a ding.

So is Tapco's T6 collapsible stock the best of the worst or is it really substandard like their folding stocks? See I've already bought one but haven't installed it yet. It seems solid enough....
I have a Magpul CTR on Tapco AR-AK reciever extension. What I really don't like about the Tapco part is that it has some rearward (wrist to toe) drop. I didn't notice it until after a few days, though. Nonetheless, I'm seriously considering CarolinaSS's aluminum extension/tube.
So is Tapco's T6 collapsible stock the best of the worst or is it really substandard like their folding stocks? See I've already bought one but haven't installed it yet. It seems solid enough....

The Tapco's T6 collapsible stock is a good stock. I have it on my S-12 and it has been great. I can adjust it for my son, his friends, and the wife when we go to the range. If you already have it, put it on and go waste some ammo and see for yourself.

As far as the Tapco T6, I bought the T6 for my conversion. (Having never held or fired an AK before this, and having been issued an M4 for 5 years.) Overall it felt plenty sturdy, however I didn't like that it rattled slightly. I fixed that by sticking some padding on the inside of the tube in two places and now it's perfect. Also, it didn't sit flush with the bottom of the receiver, which I fixed by putting a small washer under the tang to make it line up right. Another thing I did was cut the end of my cleaning kit tube off and force it into the tube so just enough was sticking out that I can take the cap on and off. It fit in there tight, it's not going anywhere. With the stock shortened all the way, the end of the cleaning kit sticks out as you can see in the following pic. So now the whole tube can be used for the normal cleaning kit parts plus anything else I might want to fit in there.

post-15451-1238318676_thumb.jpg

post-15451-1238318688_thumb.jpg

I own two T-6 Tapcos and they are a solid collap. stock..no probs out of them at all. I wanted to see what my x39 looked and felt like with a folder, but didn't want to put a lot of money into a system I didn't like. So, I ordered ...wait for it....wait for it...a Tapco Folder! I had read about the problems with the plastic pin breaking, and the wobble, etc. So I read some reviews on some more recent purchases of them. Turns out Tapco has done away with the plastic pin and repaced it with a metal one. It is also very solidly built, no wobble whatsoever in the locked position. As you will notice, the conversion hasn't been completed yet..waiting on Dinzag

Like I said, I might be lucky, but I have no issues with it at all. It might break if I were to try to try to cave someone's head in with it, but I didn't buy it to do that. Thats what my size 12 Timberland is for! :)

post-14474-1238378583_thumb.jpg

post-14474-1238378608_thumb.jpg

post-14474-1238378950_thumb.jpg

Edited by unclejake
Well, I am going to hunt for the proper KVAR stuff, and sell the Tapco stuff.

Do what'cha want man, but I finally got around to mounting my Tapco T6 collapsible on my Arsenal SGL20 last night, and I gotta tell ya, this thing is a lot sturdier than I thought it was. I thought it was all polymer, but there's a fair bit of aluminum in it, (damn thing broke one of my drill bits). I'm very pleased with this stock, especially for the price. It's solid and should hold up very well.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yeah, I finally got to try out the Tapco folder yesterday on a trip to the farm. I ran 100 rounds through it and my nephews ran 100 total between them. It worked really well both folded and in the extended position. After a day of fun, the joint was still very tight..no wobble and it was a HOOT to shoot!

I've had 2 Tapco stocks in the past and hated them both. I had the T6 stock first and got rid of it quick and then got a regular warsaw(only legth they had) stock. That stock was a hollow piece of shit too. I manned up and spent the money on K-var nato length length furniture and couldn't be happier with it. I alternate between that set and a wood set that I have.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with Tapco stocks. I have the T6 on a Saiga 12, .410, and on a Saiga 308. Also on a 12 -ga Remington. No problems whatsover. Well built and trustworthy.

Have you had a K-var stock to compare it to? I've had both, compared the finish, felt the weight difference, knocked on both of them, etc. I already said which one I choose.

I had the T6with pistol grip on my 223 before I converted it. It seemed strudier enough, but when I did the PG conversion I went with the Warsaw Pac length KVAR. Somehow an M4 stock on an AK just felt wrong :haha: . SOrt of un-AKish.