Now that they've been out and around, what is the general consensu

I saw some of these at the gun show this past weekend, all I can say is "totally ridiculous." I wouldn't want to own one. I have no experience on the functionality, so nothing productive here.

I wasnt asking about looks, as I've seen them.

Functionality is what I want to know. I already know about the "cork and fork", but otherwise I want to know how they're holding up.

I like the look, BTW.

I saw some of these at the gun show this past weekend, all I can say is "totally ridiculous." I wouldn't want to own one. I have no experience on the functionality, so nothing productive here.

Functionality is what I want to know. I already know about the "cork and fork", but otherwise I want to know how they're holding up.

I like the look, BTW.

They are tooling up to make different followers with a different spring. As is customary with promag, they will replace the defective ones. It will most likely be a couple weeks before they begin the run of the new ones as they are pretty swamped at the moment. I got this info from one of the Tech guys at ProMag.

I like the look, BTW.

They are tooling up to make different followers with a different spring. As is customary with promag, they will replace the defective ones. It will most likely be a couple weeks before they begin the run of the new ones as they are pretty swamped at the moment. I got this info from one of the Tech guys at ProMag.

They should re-tool to make a mag that actually fits an S12. I took care of the follower problem with the "cork/fork fix", but I still haven't got around to all the filing needed to even get it to lock in. I just bought 1 to see how I liked it. I'll stick to AGP's.

I have 3 10 rounders with 100 rounds through each and I love them period!!!! They fit nice and tight and feed well! Its just one of those things that your just going to have to try them out for yourself and be your own judge, but I have no problems with them...

Edited by criminalpoet

Fitting the two I picked up was easy. I just used a little force when rocking them in. Once I heard the click, I just removed the mag and then filed the area that was deformed from the forceful insertion. They work great now and lock in easily. I have had no problems with feeding. The follower does tend to ride up past its stop point though.

The follower does tend to ride up past its stop point though.

I would do the "cork/fork" fix then. If you empty the mag, and the bolt slams into the follower after the last shot, it's not going to hold up to that forever. I'm not on my laptop, that has that specific thread favorited, but a search for "promag" in this sub-forum should bring it up.

I just got mine yesterday from Ajax grips, and although I have yet to try them, I have noticed a couple things:

1) The followers stick up only slightly higher than my AGPs, so apparently they have that problem solved.

2) The Promags are slightly harder to squeeze - less flex in the material.

3) The AGPs are sexy, the Promags.......I don't care for their appearance, but I do prefer the matte finish.

4) Feels a bit rough when I depress the top shell in a half-full mag - may need some internal clean-up.

5) Fitting involves pivoting back and inserting with a bit of effort. Some material will be peeled from each side of the catch area - I noticed that area is wider than the Russian mags, and contacts the receiver. The material lost does not affect lockup.

6) There is no lateral play whatsoever with either mag, unlike all 3 of my AGPs. Nice job Promag! (That is BTW, my only complaint of the AGPs, which I otherwise like very much.

7) Price.......I will order some more for this reason alone. Any time a company can intro a new mag for a relatively obscure weapon, and keep the price this low, that is worthy of a hearty "Atta-boy!" :super:

I will let you know if I am still pleased after I actually use these things - fondling them can only yield so much information.

I have 3 10 rounders with 100 rounds through each and I love them period!!!! They fit nice and tight and feed well! Its just one of those things that your just going to have to try them out for yourself and be your own judge, but I have no problems with them...

Have you fired 10 rds of 3" magnum shells? That will be the true test.

Have you fired 10 rds of 3" magnum shells? That will be the true test.
Actually most of what I fired that day was 3" 00 and 3" slugs and the mags performed great!!!

Not to hijack, but the only reason I care about 3" capability is so the the long, roll-crimped import ammo will fit. Shooting magnums out of a shotgun lost its novelty for me a long time ago and its utility is dubious.

At any rate, I have yet to use my ProMags. I will gladly ship the followers back to them for replacement once word is they are ready. At $26 a piece shipped, I can't complain. In the meantime, I have enough AGPs to keep me happy at the range.

Got mine in today. The followers are fixed.

I just finished fitting them, so they lock in really good.

I loaded them with ten snap-caps, and quickly hand-cycled them with no issues, but snap-caps are solid and don't flex. I'll have to see how they go with live rounds.

So far I like them, but I will have to check them out at the range soon.

Edited by headshot

Mine came in from Ajax yesterday. They look nicely made, and hand cycled 2 3/4 ammo with no issues. As said, $26 dollars beats the hell out of $45, especially when you have to hand fit AGP's just like the Promag anyway...

I'm such an idiot. I ordered 3 promags from Classic the first day they listed them for about $15 more than Ajax has them listed now and I still have to fix the follower. I used to think Classic was fair on pricing but since the new owners the prices seem to have trended up. Live and learn.

I just recieved mine from Ajax today. It was a little tight in magwell but no more than my two agp's. The plastic does seem sturdier than the agps as well. I have heard that these things didnt like low brass so I figured I wouldgive it a try at lunch. I fired off ten low brass federals with no problem. Overall, it appears to be a decent mag especially for the price. I kind of like the look also. It reminds me of a giant bulgy waffle mag that I am so fond of for my AK's.

same deal here. Got them from Ajax yesterday.

Required fitting. Hand cycling worked fine.

I noticed the shells matched the angle of the factory mags EXACTLY.

My surefire mag does not. It is slightly higher in the front of the shell and i have had some issues with it. Looking forward to shooting the promags to see if the problem is gone.

I like the look of the promags. the spring seems a bit more powerful than the surefire and I'd say about the same as the factory mag. Just going by feel.

I finally got a chance to try out my two mags. They fed perfectly, although I only ran them each once. I used the cheap Federal low-brass birdshot. When I first loaded one of the mags, the second shell wanted to hang up on two little bumps on the back of it. I just worked it up and down half a dozen times with 5 or 6 shells loaded to smooth the (very) small ledge until it felt relatively smooth. Still not overly impressed with the follower's overall feel, I thought a bit of break-in time would be needed. So far, looks like I was wrong, but much more extensive "testing" will be done this weekend.

I will be ordering more tonight. It's kind of a shame the AGP mags are so much more expensive, because I don't think anymore that they are worth the difference (even though I really prefer the looks of the AGPs).

After two months, Ajax filled my order at the quoted price on Monday. I noticed that the follower looks the same on this one as the other Promags I've bought, but unlike the others, this one didn't over-travel or need the cork trick. Be it on purpose, or by accident, the mag spring leg on the new one is longer and not/can not be installed in the follower channel. Odd?

I used to think Classic was fair on pricing but since the new owners the prices seem to have trended up. Live and learn.

I have to agree... If you look at their site now, they're offering $50 discounts if you buy 3 or more WASR's... :haha: I laughed when I saw that.

What happened to that "shortage"? :rolleyes:

Classicarms now is just a name and a crappy website. We used to put up with the 1995 style website cause their prices and products were great...now it might as well be called Corporate Arms Inc. :ded:

I'm gonna have to retract my earlier opinion about the AGPs not being worth the difference in price.

Today I went out with my 2 Promags, and some 3" Federal 00 buckshot as well as some 2-3/4" Remington slugs. Neither mag would feed AT ALL. The first round would feed fine, of course, but after that, nothing. The higher brass is rubbing on the inside of the mags enough to hang up entirely. If I depress the top shell a bit and then let it go, it will pop up into position. Hopefully this means that they will break in at some point soon, although 5 minutes of cycling the follower was only partly successful at loosening things up - still won't feed, but doesn't stick quite as bad. My AGPs, BTW, have been 100% reliable with everything they have been loaded with.

Curiously, the Promags will feed the Wolf 00 buck with their mid-brass hulls - even though the mags are American, they apparently realize that Wolf buckshot and Saiga 12s are made for each other....

And yeah, I just ordered two more Promags last night........ :rolleyes:

In general, how are the ProMag S12 10rd mags doing? Mine are finally on the way, so I'm curious...

i got 2 from ajax last week and have been firing the shit out of them with no problems at all. i put about 200 rds though each so far, mostly 7 1/2 federal low brass and some win 2 3/4 slugs. i would definitely get a few more for that price ($29).