Manual release of bolt and its forward movement

My question is whether this last bit of resistance that the bolt carrier encounters at the point the claws start engaging with the barrel assembly is the cause of what I am seeing and whether it is normal?

The situation is that with no magazine installed, when I hold the bolt carrier to allow it to slowly move from the full rearward position to the forward position, the carrier stops such that it is about 1/2 inch from its fully forward position (at the point the claws start engaging with the barrel).

If I release the carrier and let it fly forward from the rearward position, the carrier travels all the way forward.

Is this normal operating procedure? or did I gunk something (the moveable claw?) up when I decided to polish the carrier?

I have not had an opportunity to shoot the gun for the first time yet as it was getting new port holes added.

I don't think you "gunked" anything up, my 100% stock S-12 does the same thing. Remember that the S-12 is not a "handle with kid gloves" gun. It's a "slap it on the ass and get me a beer bitch" type of firearm. Pull the bolt back and let her fly. She'll do fine.

Mine does the exact same thing, before and after conversion and polishing.

Remember that the S-12 is not a "handle with kid gloves" gun. It's a "slap it on the ass and get me a beer bitch" type of firearm. Pull the bolt back and let her fly. She'll do fine.

LOL :lolol: nicely putt bear8u hehe

+1 on not babying the thing.

I just ordered a S-12 lightweight recoil spring from CSS and I suspect that although it would allow the really light ammo to cycle better, if you ease the carrier forward by hand, it would be even more prone to making this final forward movement noticeable. Fortunately, there's no need to treat these things like they're made of fine china. They're AKs let's remember.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

Don't ease the action forward on any semi-automatic firearm when loading it. You always want a full slam of the action forward, to insure the round is correctly chambered and the bolt is locked (if needed).

When it is empty, go ahead and ease it in, as there's no cartridge to take the beating, it's just steel on steel somewhere.

You have to bear in mind that the extractors on the Saigas are spring-loaded. When the bolt goes forward to the point that the extractor touches the barrel you are overcoming the spring tension on the extractor to go further forward. In slow motion this may be enough to stop the motion of the bolt, but in normal operation it means nothing.