• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned your SSN cards were stolen. You took all the necessary precautions to protect your identity right?

In your case, Life Lock might be a good idea. They're not perfect, but it's something.

Lifelock is not that great.

http://wolfsden.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/l...multiple-times/

Check and see if in your state you can put a freeze on your credit. Also be sure to get a copy of the police report. Make sure it lists your ssn cards were stolen. You want to inform your banks, the credit agencies etc that your SSN cards were stolen and put a fraud watch on your accounts.

http://newsblaze.com/story/200805120843020...w/topstory.html

I would pay for credit monitoring now however.

sorry don't know how to quote...why wasn't it in the safe?

good question and i still kick myself for not doing that. we had $ sprinkled around the house like good little squirrels for when zombies would take over. i guess they found all the hiding places.

the big safe staring at me - i guess it was too obvious to me.

I also got the safe just a few days ago!... i guess I just didn't have time to realize that they can hold more than guns. stupid me.

any alternatives to lifelock?

have you gone and checked the pawn shops in the area for your shit yet/

take pliars to the kid's thumbs when you get his name, and make him tell you where the rest of your shit is before you feed him to the gators...

Did someone deliver the safe?

If so,...I'll put my money on that bastard,... or a friend of his,..

what a perfect way into your house, get a look around, chat you up for info like

when are usually home?

do you have a dog?

I'll bet you will be happy to put all your valubles in this here new safe,....

Hmm,..

or if you had something else delivered, a friend had a new riding mower delivered and his chatty and trusting girl friend told the delivery guy everything they would ever need to know to walk back in and take anything they wanted, and sure enough 1 day later,..a bunch of stuff was stolen, including the new mower!

sorry don't know how to quote...why wasn't it in the safe?

good question and i still kick myself for not doing that. we had $ sprinkled around the house like good little squirrels for when zombies would take over. i guess they found all the hiding places.

the big safe staring at me - i guess it was too obvious to me.

I also got the safe just a few days ago!... i guess I just didn't have time to realize that they can hold more than guns. stupid me.

any alternatives to lifelock?

Edited by Gas Giant

Hey! Last I checked this was the Welcome, General Discussion section. Let's not make it the fight club. Theres only one person in this that knows first hand what should have been done. Hell, he'll have forever to think about that. I'm sure he's thankful for what he still has. And is crazy thinking about what to do next and how to protect his family. I can't imagine. If this wake up helps any of us do what it takes to protect what's ours, we should thank this man.

Can we go pick on Lefty and his evil ways now? Or go to the Military Shock and Awe section and watch Gunny shoot or try to shoot different firearms (funny).

Have the Heart of a Lion!

Damn!, I sorry that this happened to you. I've had my apartment and my car broken into before.

Since your at a higher risk now than even before I would take a tour around you're house from the outside and look at windows, doors, any way they could get in and formulate a plan for securing or reinforcing them.

I have also "heard" of traps being set. It could be a non lethal set up, like OC spray with marking die tied into a trip wire. Easy to set when you're away or when your wife is home alone. Intruders get hit with it they are not likely to stick around waiting to recover.

I would like to see more ideas like this posted here. All non-lethal of course. I want to set up a better security system but I don't think alarms and cameras are enough. I think you need to make a good "first impression" to a thief. My house is surrounded by a 6 foot wooden fence. I figure before a burglar would climb the fence he would at least try the gate to see if it was open. I want to figure out a way to electrify the handle on that gate with just enough amps and volts to knock someone on their ass without killing them, making them afraid to touch anything else. Electricity is not my best subject, does anybody know if this can be done?

I'm now going to always carry my full sized pistol until I find another smaller handgun to fill that role.

I'm almost speechless - i just cleared my home again with my handgun (we stayed the night at family's home). It didn't feel like home. I don't like the idea of having to clear my own home and make sure there aren't any bogeymen each day. and then the thought that there will be the $15000 that insurance won't pay for (court cost), the jail time, etc.

...i dunno...the clearer my mind gets as i'm calming down...the muddier things seem...

I know this will be hard for you accept right now, but please know that you are not alone, and as each da passes it WILL get a little better, you and your family will get through this and you WILL own your security again. "THEY" thought I was crazy becaus I would strap my gun on to go to the store, "THEY" don't think I'm so crazy anymore, now "THEY" do the same thing.

yes. very awesome tips here. as I continue with the building up of security, dealing with insurance, etc...i'll post my experiences here. Thanks again for what everyone has contributed.

some answers - who delivered the safe? my dad and i. we made sure to do it when no one was looking around.

i'm now doing a list of everyone who knows I shoot and everyone who has been to my home. checking them off after really thinking of every friend/family in the 'worst light' of could they.

i'm also trying to itemize every item for the insurance folks. they asked me for a list which i'll present tomorrow. get 'approved' or whatever on monday by the main adjuster person?!? sorry, my first time.

they already told me i can get up to $2k in gun/ammo. my carry piece was about $500. Maybe $300-$400 in ammo. What sucks is i doubt i can find that gun or even ammo around!

i'm trying to remember every movie i've purchased! for the list.

another note... my wife keeps telling me she wants to move out. that she can't stay there anymore. etc. i'm trying to be understanding - don't want to upset her more. i hope that this too will pass.

looking for a house really isn't prudent now since my company has been among the "big' companies on the news lately with layoffs, etc.

and i don't want to be kicked out of my own home by fear.

whew...

Sorry that this happened to you. I know that feeling.

About 6 years ago somebody broke into my house and tried to steal my guns. A $100 dollar safe kept them out. Wasn't any kids, the case of beer in the fridge was left. Nothing was taken.

Insurance would only covered $2000? I went to a friend's that lives in the country last weekend and had more then that in my truck. Time to look a little closer at that insurance policy. It was only 1 ar with aimpoint, 2 .22 pistols, 1 beretta 9mm pistol, 2 .22 rifles, and 1 870. Shit adds up quick!

You know until I read this I haven't changed a fucking thing. Thanks for opening my eyes. Going to pressure the new wife into a high dollar safe for "our" tax return money. I'll just show her this thread. I better hurry and finish the trim work I'm feeling a move to the country coming. :super:

Right now the best advice I can give you is replace your doors and frames with metal doors/frames and use a high security lock that can't be bump keyed. and get a house alarm, even if there's no monitoring, the alarm may cause them to think you have a monitoring system. Good luck with insurance and getting your firearm back. if they got fingerprints that better then nothing, you know..they say that the people most likely to rob you are someone you know or know of. If there is any suspicion of a neighbor or someone near you that did this, they will probably do it again and again. I'd move in that case just to avoid getting an stomach ulcer and paying for a lawyer after you shoot someone.

Edited by Vultite
I would like to see more ideas like this posted here. All non-lethal of course. I want to set up a better security system but I don't think alarms and cameras are enough. I think you need to make a good "first impression" to a thief. My house is surrounded by a 6 foot wooden fence. I figure before a burglar would climb the fence he would at least try the gate to see if it was open. I want to figure out a way to electrify the handle on that gate with just enough amps and volts to knock someone on their ass without killing them, making them afraid to touch anything else. Electricity is not my best subject, does anybody know if this can be done?

If someone really wants to try this, there's a company that makes just such a product specifically designed to be integrated with most alarm systems. Here's the link.

http://www.stopthecrime.com/products.htm

While we're at this, it's important to point out that one should never let ANYONE know they have guns in the house. You may trust your friends, or even their kids, but everyone knows someone who has at least one shady friend. All it takes is one person to know that you have guns to accidentally tell it to his even more delinquent older brother who has a bunch of punk friends and all of a sudden you're a target. You might trust your neighbors, but do you trust all their kids and all their kids' friends too?

Something to think about.

have you gone and checked the pawn shops in the area for your shit yet/

take pliars to the kid's thumbs when you get his name, and make him tell you where the rest of your shit is before you feed him to the gators...

Somebody's been watching 'The Godfather'. ;)

thats news to me.....

and here I thought that thieves pass word FAST about people that would hurt them really really bad when they catch them.....

sure, TV told me. i gotcha ;)

Ouch. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

I would recommend fitting everything you can, of importance and worth, into a safe. Guns, documents, jewelry, cash, car keys (if you're out of town), anything. If your current safe is full, get another one. Paying for a safe now, is better than replacing the stolen stuff in the future (not even counting the things that can't be replaced for sentimental reasons).

I watch that show "To Catch a Thief", and it's pretty scary how easy it is to get into a house. Also, how quick someone can be, and efficient at finding your stuff that you think you have hidden well. I've seen that guy get into a house, ransack it, get $100K worth of stuff, load it into a van, and be gone...........in about 10 minutes. That's pretty disturbing.

I see that you are going to have a security system installed. Have you thought about some type of video recording system? Even if it's just a simple one, that covers the entrance ways into your house, and maybe just your bedroom (or wherever the high priced stuff is). Something to think about.

Also, being that they took your SS cards, you should look into some kind of identity theft protection.

You can't go back and change this situation, but you can prepare yourself for future possibilities. Good luck with everything, and I'm glad you and your fam are OK.

(I didn't read all of the replies, so I my apologies if I just repeated some things offered as advice)

OK, my 2 farthings. Get a dog, as stated,

" The standard poodle is not the foo-foo looking toy poodle that most people think of. It's MUCH bigger and was bred as a working dog."

My Aunt is alergic to dogs, cats and birds ( and maybe her husband ), but she found out that poodle fur is one of the lowestest alergetic dogs out there. And a Standard is as big as a Shepard and I've seen bigger, they were breed by the French as hunting dogs and used them on lion hunts. I would try and see if she can be near one of these.

I hope that you can find some peace in all this, and yeah, I would move anyway. Good luck on everything, and I hope they catch the bastard. Maybe if you offered to make a donation to the police fund, they might give you 10 minutes along with the asshole.

As for me I invested alot of cash on Rolladen security shutters, thankfully they are local and I got a discount cause they used my home in one of their TV adds. These are the best thing next to composite armored glass, and all 4 of my exterior doors are STEEL, they look like standard wood doors, but beneath the veneer is 6ga steel shell with re-enforced cores. These are mounted on heavy lag bolted frames. And of course my old boy Odin (shepard/lab mix) is always on guard, and taking the new pup under his paw, just got a 3 month old King Shepard named Thor. Daddy is 152lbs and momma is 130lbs, breeder said that Thor might be bigger than daddy. Oh, and bought stock in Purina, this boy can eat, LOL.

All in all, you must decide your path and choose your fights. I hope everything works out well.

Well maybe more than 2 farthings.....

HUZZAH!!

http://www.rolladenlv.com/

edited to add linky

Edited by Gothmog

Camera's are the best thing you can have to stop breakin's. The camera's must be out of reach but in plain site and hook up to internet steeming/recording live to another computer at another family members house/ work via Slingbox are what ever system you choose. I have had camrea's outside my home for almost 10 years now I have changed systems 3 or 4 times. With sling box and most hi-end cellphone you can watch your house on your cellphone. You will be surpised what happens outside your home all day when your not home. For example I have video of the gas man looking into my windows for what? The gas meter is located 80 feet from my house outside of a privacy fence with beware of dog posted on the gate.

Edited by havok
If you shot them, you would be in jail right now.

Oh, Hell NO, if defending one's life means spending the rest of your days

in prison like is now common in England. Then you might as well grab a shovel

and NOT report the break in-corpse if you get my drift. I'm just saying

if your choices are: A. death by home intruder bad guy, B. a life sentence

by your local justice system, or C. shovel and no report do you really

have a choice? It's a good thing we are not limited to those choices in most

of the free states.

This really sucks...

Okay, so you guys will probably hate me, but I used to repo houses and can attest to how easy it is to get into them.

Time for another big ass safe for your other goods.

on that note, my buddy is having a giant vault door installed on his new home. It's easier to do it at the start b/c you can have the walls reinforced to spec before installing the giant heavy monster ;) (vault door in his giant walk in closet so its a giant walk-in safe!)

Edited by Vultite
This really sucks...

Okay, so you guys will probably hate me, but I used to repo houses and can attest to how easy it is to get into them.

Time for another big ass safe for your other goods.

on that note, my buddy is having a giant vault door installed on his new home. It's easier to do it at the start b/c you can have the walls reinforced to spec before installing the giant heavy monster ;) (vault door in his giant walk in closet so its a giant walk-in safe!)

That's a great idea if you can do it.

yes. very awesome tips here. as I continue with the building up of security, dealing with insurance, etc...i'll post my experiences here. Thanks again for what everyone has contributed.

some answers - who delivered the safe? my dad and i. we made sure to do it when no one was looking around.

i'm now doing a list of everyone who knows I shoot and everyone who has been to my home. checking them off after really thinking of every friend/family in the 'worst light' of could they.

i'm also trying to itemize every item for the insurance folks. they asked me for a list which i'll present tomorrow. get 'approved' or whatever on monday by the main adjuster person?!? sorry, my first time.

they already told me i can get up to $2k in gun/ammo. my carry piece was about $500. Maybe $300-$400 in ammo. What sucks is i doubt i can find that gun or even ammo around!

I keep thinking about this (its a subject we all think about). I like what Gas said. Now I know you hauled your own safe, what about who you bought if from? If the break in perp didn't even touch the safe, they may have known to much about it. That rules out smash and grab punks and the only other type would be a Pro!

I keep thinking about this (its a subject we all think about). I like what Gas said. Now I know you hauled your own safe, what about who you bought if from? If the break in perp didn't even touch the safe, they may have known to much about it. That rules out smash and grab punks and the only other type would be a Pro!

I'm just guessing of course but I would bet on it being an amature job just because he left his prints everywhere. That doesn't mean he couldn't have had some inside information though.

update while i'm waiting for the doors to arrive from Lowes.

Met with insurance folks. have to wait until adjustor meets with us before I up the insurance policy to cover my other guns. In the mean while, I made sure to add the $30/year Identity protection insurance. They said it will cover lawyer expenses up to $25K in case someone does some ID theft. It won't prevent it but it will help in cleaning up. I'm going to look into life lock but i'm reading some ill reviews on them (like that CEO keeps getting his ID stolen).

spent an hour at Lowes. picked up various doors (have to replace 3 broken ones). Getting the ones with the steel frames even for the master bedroom. picked up also (2) storm doors. expensive as heck but they seem inexpensive now. (i use to cringe at $200 at the entry level doors before and now i'm spending 300$+ on a door.

I couldn't find the door jamb armor. all they could offer me are these metal sticks that attach to the door then have rubber feet to hold against the floor. at $17 each, i gave one a try and picked up 4 more. i rammed into the door after my wife attached it and it held me out (and i'm not as thin as my college days anymore). I figure a few seconds if it may buy me will be worth the $.

I also picked up motion detector flood lights for the back of the house and side of the house.

I'm going to install some more locks to the doors also (after we get the doors installed).

In the meanwhile, wife has been cleaning the mess. I found that they even stole my shavers, my cheapo wahl hair cutting kit and my batteries. (i guess they need batteries for my kids toys they took).

Plan tomorrow is to hit the pawn shops (i should have done today but priority was getting the doors secure).

Lowes has this 22 gun safe for $700. Anyone know if their brand is any good? I've seen much smaller ones for about the same price at Academy, Ganders, etc. I'm thinking of selling my "little one" to my dad and then putting the $ to get a BIG one like above. Or I can get another medium sized one to sit next to the existing one. (so.. 2 medium safes vs. 1 Big safe?) I figure, the 2 safes will offer the not putting all the eggs in one basket idea but i also like the idea of having a really big safe.

Also, in an average home... what is the weight limit of the flooring? Will a HUGE safe that probably weights 500-600 pounds unloaded be ok for it? I figure after ammo and guns... it would be close to a thousand pounds.

The safe will be upstairs in my den or the master bedroom.