Are the Pro Mag 30 round 7.62x39 mags decent or do they just plain suck? Thanks.

Oh boy, here we go.....

Promags work very well. I used them in my 223 before I got Galil mags. However, there is a link somewhere in this board to a drop test where everything except metal military mags and Bulgarian polymer (with steel re-enforcement) fail totally. Having dropped a long gun (XM177E2) in a real life tactical situation (hunting for an armed carjacker in the woods a night) In my case, the shorty M16 was not affected, I picked it up and shook it off. I cringed when I watched the video. Granted the average shooter does not find himself depending on anything more than the weapons ability to annihilate cans with monotonous regularity! If that had been my Saiga 223 instead that I dropped, I would have been screwed!

I use my Saiga 7.62x39 as a house / farm gun. If I trip and drop it while getting ready for two legged goblins or four legger vermin, I DO NOT WANT THE MAG TO FAIL!

With so many steel Mil-surp mags available at reasonable prices, and the modification being so easy, WHY use something that may fail you.

Take advantage of the bounty around us, convert with a bullet guide and enjoy life! I know an eastern block mag will not fail in a drop, a round shot though it wll finish it. Let me say one more time with the 7.62x39 its the only choice. (now a .223 is a different issue) I bought Pro Mags for the .223 and they will only be used for practice.

The line is HOT!

Edited by Fluid Power

I just got my saiga and went to the range this weekend with the factory 10 rounder and a pro-mag I picked up at the store when I bought my gun. Had to stop using the pro mag because 2/3 of the time it would load the last bullet incorrectly and the firing pin would hit the side of the bullet and not fire!

That sounds like a chamber or headspace problem, not a magazine problem. If a magazine malfunctions, the round doesn't go in. If it goes in and the bolt closes and the hammer hits the firing pin, but the pin hit the side of the head.... Possibly serious issues.

Maybe I was describing it wrong, not sure exactly what was going on , but the last bullet was stuck in the gun and the bullet was jammed in the casing further than it should be. Sorry if my lingo is off, new to guns :P. I never had any problems with the stock mag at all though and we probably fired about 8 sets of 10 through it. Even when testing with the promag we would put 3 rounds in then just cycle the bolt and the same thing would happen to the last bullet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Promags work great for my AK...Thats all i actually use..I do have a few steel mags but dont really care for the weight of it...I believe tapco makes a ribbed pattern polymer ak mag also that is suppose to be very good..Ive never tried it though..But they do have a lifetime warranty..