X-Rays of Saiga 12 Magazines

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry it took so long to get these up, seems I never have any time to myself these days.   Since there has been some discussion as to which magazines have steel inserts and which do not, I have t

Send me one.   Thanks for the bump, Chile. Its cool to see this pop back up from time to time. I've come a long way since I started this thread, both personally and professionally.   Well, I was s

DistalRadius, send me your mailing address and I'll have a sample sent to you... If your up for taking some more cool pictures.

Posted Images

Try some with a turkey load or a bird shot load there would be ALOT of BB's in those ones maybe a slug one?

lots of neat X-rays thanks!!

20 round drum loaded with 00 buck or bird or somthing from the side would be awesome!

Loaded Russian 8 vs. loaded AGP 10:

post-6253-0-84883800-1366305605_thumb.jpg

Note steel reinforcement in front tab. Odd how the Rio buckshot in the 10 rounder appears more consistently stacked than the Remington buckshot in the 8 rounder.

Russian 5 vs. Russian 8 vs. AGP 10:

post-6253-0-32678500-1366305746_thumb.jpg

I decided to take some pics of the Russian mags with the floorplates, followers, springs, and feedlips removed to better visualize the steel reinforcements.

post-6253-0-37181400-1366305837_thumb.jpg

I was very surprised to see the texture of the material in the 8 rounder which is not seen on the 5 rounder. I am assuming this is the actual internal structure of the glass-filled-nylon material. I did check and make sure my mag wasn't filthy on the inside, BTW. In my estimation the long fibers that you are seeing would only serve to strengthen the mag, however I am not a plastics expert.

Front view:

post-6253-0-93769300-1366306017_thumb.jpg

Obliques:

post-6253-0-59164600-1366306077_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-97303300-1366306088_thumb.jpg

Now where the hell have I stashed my drums?cool.png

Edited by DistalRadius
  • Like 5

More awesome pics hell yeah! I love the ones with the buckshot. Hey bro you know what would also be very helpful if you have time someday? (at least helpful to me...) If you could get some good ones showing the steel inserts they have in the factory S-12 and especially the rifle HGs. I know where they are because I know what to look for, but the first time I found em was by accident, and it really F'd up a set I was milling custom cooling vents into. Zipping along smoothly through plastic, then suddenly running into a slab of stainless steel.... well it's a little worse than just surprising.... LOL.

I think it is interesting to see how sloppy the pellet stacks are in the Rem ammo especially compared to the cheapo Rio. The cup and buffer media probably matters more, but it is still interesting to see.

• Like 1

drum pics,

Drum Pics,

DRUM PICS,

DRUM PICS!!! LOL

Looking great, DistalRadius!

Why, oh why does no one make a US stick mag with steel reinforcement? Pull some chinese-engineering on them, and straight-up copy the Izzy 8 - as a US 10! bad_smile.gif

If you could get some good ones showing the steel inserts they have in the factory S-12 and especially the rifle HGs.

I don't own any factory HGs! If you're willing to ship them, I will take pics of them.

I think it is interesting to see how sloppy the pellet stacks are in the Rem ammo especially compared to the cheapo Rio. The cup and buffer media probably matters more, but it is still interesting to see.

Yeah that surprised me too. Thinking about it though, that 8 rounder (and the ammo it contains) is my HD mag that stays in my gun most of the time and there is a good chance that those shells have been unloaded and reloaded from the mag several times as well as the mag getting tossed around when I go to the range. Maybe excessive handling causes them to loosen up somewhat? I'll see if I have an unopened package of shells to compare them to. Definitely time to replace the shells in the HD mag.

drum pics,

Drum Pics,

DRUM PICS,

DRUM PICS!!! LOL

Coming! Gimmie time!

I'd love to see X-rays of Flight control. Also since it is my preference, #4 or #1 buck.

I suppose the "brass" would ruin an end view, but perhaps a diagonal image from the end would show the show another good view of the shot stack.

I am also looking forward to your X-rays of CSS steel 10 rounders, and the MD double stack 16s.

I'd love to see X-rays of Flight control. Also since it is my preference, #4 or #1 buck.

I suppose the "brass" would ruin an end view, but perhaps a diagonal image from the end would show the show another good view of the shot stack.

I am also looking forward to your X-rays of CSS steel 10 rounders, and the MD double stack 16s.

Alas, I own no Flight Control shells, #4 buck, nor #1 buck .

Diagnostic x-rays like these can readily penetrate the relatively thin "brass" of a shotgun shell base. Lead pellets, however, are a different story. Remember, lead is used as radiation shielding due to its high density- its very good at absorbing x-rays! So all you'd get is something like this:

post-6253-0-99389100-1366407522_thumb.jpg

I'm just not gonna be able to image through lead. Its presence is actually detrimental to the surrounding image because the individual rays that are too strong to be fully absorbed will scatter in all directions causing the image to look greyed-out or grainy.

post-6253-0-74853100-1366407678.jpg

Notice the grainy appearance of the lead while the base of the shell looks fairly sharp.

post-6253-0-73569500-1366407763_thumb.jpg

Its kinda cool that I can read the headstamp though!

• Like 1

I don't think that is the powder that you can see. I think it is grainy resolution looking through 2 layers of steel.

It is pretty cool that you can see the "cat hair" in the last few pictures on post #93. I bet there is a lot more in there that didn't show up. I would think that "fiberglass reinforced nylon" ,aka Zytel, would have more glass fibers than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya I like the Remington hulls, but their ammo is loaded for shit from factory, not a shock to me, that's why I've always been a big fan of federal and winchester.

Amazing thread!! I would love to see an xray of my Microtech knives.

Edited by Syndicate

I'd like to see xrays of some of the other brands of buckshot to see if they pay more attention to stacking.

I would say this and although not for the S12...some x-rays of a bulgy circle 10 waffle mag would be cool. Curious how the reinforcement looks in those. Oh a complete S12 SBS x-ray would be sick too...like the one you did for the AR SBR. I know a lot won't show up as well as the AR but it would be cool anyway.

How bout a ChiCom 75rd drum? I gotta work with what I have!

post-6253-0-83961200-1368708832_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-44993100-1368708870_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-66084900-1368708890_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-89640900-1368708915_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-48194000-1368708937_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-32738200-1368708954_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-48050100-1368708971_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-84649600-1368708992_thumb.jpg

I noticed that the appearance of the projectiles in my ammo varied quite a bit. This drum was loaded with the same random mix of ammo that was in it when I purchased it. HP and FMJ both, not sure of the make. So I dumped em in a box and took a pic.

post-6253-0-07911600-1368709208_thumb.jpg

Interesting to see the different bullet designs. You can even kinda see the cardboard box!

• Like 1

Even ones with the steel reinforcement? Iv'e had no problems with them yet. Some of the better AK mags I have IMO. I was just curious how the reinforcement was on those compared to the Izzy 5/8 you posted earlier. Which AK mags do you prefer...all steel? Diggin all the pics btw...cool shit

I'll admit I don't have any experience with the Circle 10 mags, I have heard good things about them. I got soured on plastic AK mags waaay back when and swore em off. (I was even skeptical of Pmags when they were first released.) My brother and I went in on a huge order of surplus steel mags when they were less than $8 a piece. Surplus steel are my favorites, I also like the Yugo steel mags with the bolt-hold, and the Hungarian steel 20rd mags which I think are about the perfect size for a semi-auto.