X-Rays of Saiga 12 Magazines

Sorry it took so long to get these up, seems I never have any time to myself these days. :blush:

Since there has been some discussion as to which magazines have steel inserts and which do not, I have taken it upon myself to take some quick x-rays of my own S12 magazines. I have pics of the Russian 5, Taiwanese 5, AGP 10, and MD20.

post-6253-1238202577_thumb.jpg

Russian 5 on left, Taiwanese 5 on right

The steel insert in the front locking tab of the Russian magazine is clearly visible.

post-6253-1238202733_thumb.jpg

Front view. No steel love from Taiwan.

post-6253-1238202798_thumb.jpg

Top view. The insert is the small white arc on top of the lefthand magazine.

post-6253-1238202941_thumb.jpg

AGP 10 compared to Russian 5.

post-6253-1238203000_thumb.jpg

AGP 10 fully loaded 2 3/4" 00 buck

post-6253-1238203054_thumb.jpg

Now, call me a geek, but I think this is really cool!

post-6253-1238203129_thumb.jpg

MD20 side view. Steel insert is clearly visible.

post-6253-1238203209_thumb.jpg

Top view.

I wish I had a Russian 8 to show too, but I can't afford one at the moment! At least I finally got these pictures up. Maybe someday, I'll eventually get around to doing the 8" vs 19" pattern testing as well. :rolleyes:

• Like 15
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry it took so long to get these up, seems I never have any time to myself these days.   Since there has been some discussion as to which magazines have steel inserts and which do not, I have t

Send me one.   Thanks for the bump, Chile. Its cool to see this pop back up from time to time. I've come a long way since I started this thread, both personally and professionally.   Well, I was s

DistalRadius, send me your mailing address and I'll have a sample sent to you... If your up for taking some more cool pictures.

Posted Images

thank you for the informative post and pics!

wheres the micron microscope guy with the pics of the polymers!!!!???!?!?!?!?

:)

what buckshot did you load the AGP with/ prolly one of the makes I shoot, huh? LOL thats messy

reporting that this post should be "pinned".

Definitely needs to be sticky. EDIT: NOW IT IS.....YAY!!!

Though I doubt there would be much different from the Surefires and the Promags, it would only be thorough to do those too.

Dang, now I'm wanting to "Frankenmag" my Russian 5 rounder into an 8 or 10 rounder. LOL

Corbin

Edited by Corbin
Dang, now I'm wanting to "Frankenmag" my Russian 5 rounder into an 8 or 10 rounder. LOL

I'd bet that Mike will fill that void before too long, since he can do the drums, mags probably won't be shit comparatively . . .

And thanks DistalRadius, that is cool!

Wow, I come back to check on this post in the morning and find its a stickie! Glad this is a place that can appreciate this sort of thing. For me its kind of like career meets hobby; business and pleasure! I'm eventually gonna try to get some of my SBR AR15 too. It should x-ray really well since its aluminum. Thanks to all for the kind words, I'll add x-ray pics of other Saiga magazines should I ever aquire any.

Oh, and everyone should feel free to use these pics in any way they like. No credit required. :up:

Maybe Mike can find a way to use the MD20 pics for marketing or something.

Love this forum! :super:

I sent RAAC the link to this thread, Im sure they would be interested in a look as well.

definately sticky worthy, this one. again, thanks for the pictures!

you should ask one of the vendors here if you can borrow a mag of each of the types that you dont have to shoot film of.

This was very well done and very informative. Thanks so much for posting! I wonder if anyone would be interested in providing you a ProMag or a Surefire for X-Raying... Perhaps someone local.

• Like 1

Great pics DistalRadius. It's outstanding and informative contributions like this from its members that makes the Saiga 12 forum IMHO the best gun board on the web. I do have one small request. If you ever get a chance to X-ray mags or drums again, if possible please take a few X-rays with the steel feed lip clip taken off the magazine, to show what the steel insert (or lack thereof) in the rear catch looks like. By the way, if you ever want to X-ray a Russian 8-rounder, I have a couple and would be more than happy to loan you one. Just PM me with your shipping address and I'll UPS it to you.

Edited by Frogfoot
Can we assume your work doesn't know you're X-raying these? :rolleyes: LOL

X-rays will be free under socialized healthcare anyway. :lolol:

Very nice job on the pics DistalRadius!

That MD-20 pic is a freakin' work of art!

(makes a cool desktop wallpaper too!)

Can we assume your work doesn't know you're X-raying these? :rolleyes: LOL

Most everybody in my clinic has their concealed carry permit. I've shown several of the doctors some of my assault rifles and I've helped advise quite a few others here about handgun purchases and firearms in general. They all know I spend my down time on gun forums and are fine with it. I consider myself to be very lucky in that respect, in this day and age. I try to be discreet about it but yes, they know I've x-rayed a few magazines. Doesn't cost anything, so no biggie. :smoke:

• Like 1

I took the one of the drum (my favorite) and did a quick Photoshop job to restore the section on the left that got slightly cut off. I cleaned up a couple spots too:

xraydrum170.jpg

This needs to be a T-shirt.........

Oh, Juggernaut?!

Corbin

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 1