I finally bit the bullet

Well after much homework, questions and indecisiveness, I finally bit the bullet and there is no turning back now...

I just ordered all my conversion parts.

Tromix FCG = 3 parts

Chaos gas puck/piston = 1 part

TAPCO S12 gas rod/piston = BATF can kiss my ass if they ever decide on one or the other... or even both parts... I'm covered.

AK T6 collapsible stock = 1 part

Tromix DIY trigger guard

AK47 style SAW PG

Nylon hole plugs

1 x 12 rnd Surefire mag = 3 parts

3 x 10rnd Surefire mags = 3 parts

1x 2rnd Surefire mag = 3 parts

Just need to find or make a forearm that I like, that'll be another part.

That'll be 8 -14 = 6 Foreign Parts :smoke:

Next on the shopping list is a Dremel.

Good luck finding a handguard that appeals to you. I've looked all over and none have jumped out at me. I still can't believe that no one makes a one-piece plastic handguard that looks just like a two piece AK guard (but perhaps with an open top,) and just clicks/screws into place.

It seems like more places in the US have access to CNC equipment than plastic molding equipment, which is somewhat surprising. AGP makes those plastic picatinny forends, so maybe they could do the job.

Anyway, that's the part I'd like to see.

What are you using to retain the FCG pins?

Or does the Tromix FCG come with a wire or retaining plate? Or are you "rolling your own"?

Have fun with the conversion and be sure to post pics when your done!

The Tromix FCG has the shepherds crook wire, but I was thinking about getting one of Krebs Custom shotgun specific retaining plates.

Happy trails on the conversion. If you go with the plate you will more than likely need to mod the BHO. Search the forums you'll find the why's and how to's about it. In short the plate won't work because your Safety lever is going in last unlesss you do this mod.

What are you using to retain the FCG pins?

Or does the Tromix FCG come with a wire or retaining plate? Or are you "rolling your own"?

Have fun with the conversion and be sure to post pics when your done!

The Tromix FCG has the shepherds crook wire, but I was thinking about getting one of Krebs Custom shotgun specific retaining plates.

check out Cobra...he sells the retaining plates and is a business member

Well, finally decided to save a few bucks and bought the 'Surefire Saiga 12 Tri-Rail Forearm - Generation 1', from MAA.

Tromix FCG = 3 parts

TAPCO S12 gas rod/piston = BATF can kiss my ass if they ever decide on one or the other... or even both parts... I'm covered.

Tromix DIY trigger guard

AK47 style SAW PG

Nylon hole plugs

1x 2rnd Surefire mag = 3 parts... Yes, a 2rnd mag, Bambi is going to get his tail knocked into the mud next year

Surefire S12 Tri-Rail forearm = 1 part

9 - 14 = 5 foreign parts :smoke:

Well after much homework, questions and indecisiveness, I finally bit the bullet and there is no turning back now...

I just ordered all my conversion parts.

Tromix FCG = 3 parts

Tromix DIY trigger guard

AK47 style SAW PG

Nylon hole plugs

1x 2rnd Surefire mag = 3 parts

Just need to find or make a forearm that I like, that'll be another part.

That'll be 8 -14 = 6 Foreign Parts :smoke:

Next on the shopping list is a Dremel.

I think you are covered anyway, this part count bullshit is not constitutional.

While the 2nd Amendment covers our Right to Bear Arms, governmental bureaucracies have and will make rules governing their use/construction, and those laws will be enforced at their discretion.

I do not wish to ever be a victim of bureaucratic discretion, and I will be a good citizen and obey their silly/asinine laws regardless of whether or not I think they have Constitutional merit.

While the 2nd Amendment covers our Right to Bear Arms, governmental bureaucracies have and will make rules governing their use/construction, and those laws will be enforced at their discretion.

I do not wish to ever be a victim of bureaucratic discretion, and I will be a good citizen and obey their silly/asinine laws regardless of whether or not I think they have Constitutional merit.

I agree, definately better to be safe than sorry.