Finally Finished

Been a long time coming but it is finally done.

Converted by Will @ Red Jacket Firearms.

Trigger assembly moved and replaced, barrel shortened to 18.5in with brake perm attached. Install HK sights

THANKS WILL and Crew!

post-9223-1238255881_thumb.jpg

Seen above as pictured by Red Jacket

Disassembled and sandblasted once returned and powder coated in 10% black. Then further mods by me.

post-9223-1238255943.jpg

How it would look if I lived in a free state.

post-9223-1238255950.jpg

Because I do not live in a free state. PG shotguns mag fed should be feared if owned by law abiding citizens :rolleyes:

post-9223-1238255959.jpg

Left side

post-9223-1238255971.jpg

Stock: modified SLR-95. PITA You must lengthen the area below the receiver and remove material by the back of the receiver. Remove material for the top mount and where the stock goes into the receiver. I do not like the look that much but the alternative is not available to me so all and all I am happy. The Saiga also fits better now and looks better than the other ATI etc. stocks I have seen.

post-9223-1238255975.jpg

Enlarged mag release, now I can hit the release with out looking and while grabbing the mag for removal. Release and trigger guard are drilled.

[post-9223-1238255979.jpg

12 in holes and slot hand guard custom made by me.

post-9223-1238255984.jpg

Muzzle brake

post-9223-1238255988.jpg

Shot looking at the front. I also modified the HK front sight with a washer making for very quick target sighting

post-9223-1238255991.jpg

Right side with rail attached.

post-9223-1238255995.jpg

Right side safety: Cut for bolt hold open and holes punched in it.

This is the fault of all of the guys on this site the Mods and Admin included. Came across Saigas about 5-6 years ago. Finally got serious and bought one used about 2 years ago. This is a direct result of the things I have learned here. Thanks to all. :super:

Had a few questions about the stock mod. So here is what I did. Seems to mount up solid. It feels good but I have not got a chance to try it out yet.

post-9223-1238258837.jpg

Close up view

post-9223-1238259369.jpg

The area to the rear of the receiver must be made longer on the bottom and lengthened overall

post-9223-1238259404.jpg

post-9223-1238259451.jpg

Once in the right spot the trigger falls into place

post-9223-1238259433.jpg

The slot for the rear stock has to be made deeper and longer

post-9223-1238263994.jpg

Here is a pic of the AK and SLR stocks. I had to remove material from the top to clear the receiver block. I also had to remove some material along the rear, bottom edge to allow the receiver to slide into the stock more. Note the hills and valleys all had about 3/16 material in front of them (more like the top slot) I also had to round the corners at the top to allow the rounded part of the receiver to slide all the way in duplicating the original shape. The mods took about 1-2 hrs with the Bridgeport and file.

post-9223-1238263989.jpg

Edited by jaymce
Very nice Jay! I love the "Holy" look....safety, mag release, trigger guard. The red dot looks insanely tall, however. Congrats and have fun with it.

Yea, That is the way it seems but I can hit in the 20s shooting trap. :super: You just have to throw out everything you know about proper gun mount with it. However for a military based gun I find it very accurate and with out having to place your face on the stock it gives you more flexibility and better vision. In the end I really like the way it is set up. Also was able to make it clear the HK rear with a little machining of the bottom so the iron sights can still be used.

Gun looks great!!!

Not to jack your thread but how long did you wait for Will and when did you place your order?? I have one at Red Stick now..

-COS

Can not remember. I think I waited around 3-5 mo at the time and quite honestly forgot all about it. Then I thought it had been a while and e-mailed Will. He got right back to me and said send it. Took about 4 weeks from there. I think others would go quicker as the barrel had to be threaded with a different pitch etc for the brake. I am pretty sure the whole build was a pita for him.

I could not be happier with the end result though. Well worth the wait in the end.

Great work!

Very unique!

Where did you get that side optic mount?

I think that's the one I need for my x 39

I got the gun used and that mount was on it. I want to say I have seen others like it while looking for parts. Ebay & gun broker maybe? I will see if I can locate a link tomorrow.

Are you a Star Ship Trooper?

?

Sounds to me like he is trying to imply that your gun looks like something out of a sci-fi movie or futuristic.

PS nice gun, i left a longer comment in the picture post...

Edited by Nailbomb
Are you a Star Ship Trooper?

?

Sounds to me like he is trying to imply that your gun looks like something out of a sci-fi movie or futuristic.

PS nice gun, i left a longer comment in the picture post...

I thought that might be it. Never seen the movie so was not sure if he thought I was trying to copy something. I also saw your comments on the picture thread. Thanks. The stock was a PITA to install but I can tell you what I did if you want to give it a try. My guess is that it could be done with a dremel,a pair of dividers, scribe and a file if you have a steady hand and a lot of patience.

I like it, I wish the pics weren't all avatar size though.

Sorry about the picture size but I can only upload the reduced sized pictures for some reason. Also I was having problems yesterday for some reason. Took me about 3 hrs to get the pictures straight and uploaded for some reason and did not want to upload the 800 size so I had to go with the 320? I almost scrapped the whole post I was so frustrated. If there is a pic that you want to see in more detail just drop me a PM with your E-mail and I will send them over in full size.

Edited by jaymce
I thought that might be it. Never seen the movie so was not sure if he thought I was trying to copy something. I also saw your comments on the picture thread. Thanks. The stock was a PITA to install but I can tell you what I did if you want to give it a try. My guess is that it could be done with a dremel,a pair of dividers, scribe and a file if you have a steady hand and a lot of patience.

I have a friend that has installed that stock onto other stamped ak's, and the process is the same, but i've never done it, and if anyone else chooses to throw that stock on thier saiga the information could be very useful to them.

I would like to build a purpose built fowl gun with a 24" barrel , that stock, and a real tree finish. Somehow i don't think i'll get off the ground with it right now, too many other projects going on.

JAYMCE,

Thanks for the link,

I thought it was one of these,..

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=39

But it is not.

I like the one in the link better though,..FWIW,..

The one I linked is not the one I have either but it looks close. As it is listed as a low clearance or to that effect I bet it hugs the top cover more closely than mine does. I think the ones on E-bay look closer. I did a search for AK sight mount. I just measured my rail and it is 20mm, so my guess is that the base came off e-bay.

A one of a kind for sure!!!

Nice looking piece of machinery. I wish I had that kind of skill to make mine stand out a little more!

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. These are pretty easy guns to work on. Most of the holes were drilled with a cordless drill. There seems to be plenty of stuff you could do with out heavy equipment as long as you have the drive. If you are afraid to attempt it on your own then ask around on the forum. I am sure you can get someone in your area to give you a hand if you are willing to buy the beer and pizza. I know I would.