My new S12 Conversion

gothchick - awesome job, very beautiful shotgun!

nice job....mine is at the shop getting converted because i have no tools (my excuse). have you test fired it yet?

did you even read her post?

ahhhh i didnt see that last part....

You read ,... like all the threads,, the only thing you didn't do,.. which most likley will not be required at this point,... is push off the gas block and enlarge the gas ports.

As Mr. Burns would say,......

EXCELLENT!!!!

and my 2 cents,..again,..

MOST EXCELLENT!

welcome!

Thanks Gas Giant. This is a three port model with one of the ports half way blocked by the gas block. So far it seems to be cycling okay. Haven't fired it a bunch yet to know though. If it developes any poblems cycling, I'll definitely do the gas block mod. I've already downloaded and printed the write up for that. :-)

Bob--Your new avatar creeps me out. Kudos.

And kudos to gothchick for making me feel like a wuss. I am comfortable building an AR, but grinding on firearms is, well, a bit past my confidence level at this point. Trigger jobs are one thing, bolt and chamber mods are entirely different. Wow. I think I am going to have to grow a pair and do it myself...

How much experience would you say you have with gunsmithing, hand tools, etc?

Hi Stiletto raggio. I don't have a lot of experience gun smithing per se, but I am a total gear head, and self tuner who is very active in building competitive 350Zs - I'm a regular on the 350Z forums under the name gothchick. This gun thing is new to me, but pretty fun so far!

Does the 1 1/2 port cycle low brass consistently?

It seems to be okay so far. I haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet though. It did cycle low brass on the 1 1/2 setting - But if it starts to not cycle low brass on the 1 1/2 setting, I guess setting 2 should fix it. If that doesn't remedy the problem, I guess I'll be doing the gas block mod. Lol.

Awesome post!!!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and take pictures along the way!

I really like your gas plug mod! Any chance of getting a profile shot of it that compares the angle of your ramp and the factory ramp?

Thanks! Good question~ I didn't think to take before and after pics of the gas plug, so i guess I can't show you a comparison. I should have thought of doing that. Sorry.

Looks good! Congrats.

You're Eotech looks ghostly. Like it's floating. :ph34r:

Haha. Yeah it does. :-) I tried the Tromix side mount, but there was enough variance with the side rail on my particular S12 that it wouldn't hold Zero (Anyone want a Tromix side mount rail?). So I bought a Hahn rail extender from Brownells. It's very solid, light weight, puts the optics high enough over the reciever that I can field strip it without having to remove the optics, and it looks ghostly. Lol.

Nice Job and nice write-up. It is good to see that you have corrected the low cheek weld with a rest! I see so many optics like that way up over the bore line and just know that the shooter is not getting much repeatability out of them,

Thanks. Yeah, the Cherokee M4 Cheek Riser is a high quality unit and puts my eye right inline with the optic, consistently. It's too bad the AK series wasn't more friendly to ergonomic optics mounting like it's western rival the M16/AR15/M4. But the superior reliability of the AK platform still makes it a clear winner in my book.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys and gals. This was a fun conversion. :-)

Edited by gothchick
Nice job on your gun and the post. I am glad my trigger group installation video was helpful.

Greg

OMG. That video is yours? Thanks a bunch. That video was the reason I decided to do the conversion in the first place. You made it look so easy... And it actually was. The hardest part of the converson was all the prep work. Lol. Thanks again. :-)
I don't have a lot of experience gun smithing per se, but I am a total gear head, and self tuner who is very active in building competitive 350Zs - I'm a regular on the 350Z forums under the name gothchick. This gun thing is new to me, but pretty fun so far!

Well hell! No wonder you hit the ground running! These conversions are a breeze compared to any car, much less a foreign one . . .

The hardest part of the converson was all the prep work. Lol. Thanks again. :-)

That's a real no-shitter! And clean up sucks too; all those damn metal shavings . . .

And BTW, I must say, it's GREAT to see more women taking an interest in guns! :up:

This is a great post! I vote for it to be made sticky, as it gives most (if not all) of the information us new guys need to know in order to perform a conversion.

Thank you for taking the time to document your conversion in such detail and share.

jonblack

Mad props on your conversion and thanks for the killer write up

Thanks man!

nice job

Many thanks.

Good write up. What did you use to do all the polishing? I'm assuming a rotary tool of some sort, but what kind of wheels, etc?
Thanks. I used a rubber polishing wheel along with an assortment of cotton and felt wheels. Just the normal Dremel stuff.

This is a great post! I vote for it to be made sticky, as it gives most (if not all) of the information us new guys need to know in order to perform a conversion.

Thank you for taking the time to document your conversion in such detail and share.

jonblack

Thanks! The conversion process goes a lot better if you actually *like* doing this sort of stuff. I think it is way cool to tinker with the internal mechanisms and actually have it work better than the way the factory had it. Lol.

Great post!!

Thank you~

Pic Update... Took the extended riser off and just mounted the optic in standard fashion. The standard way is a little less ghostly. Lol.

post-16572-1239145946_thumb.jpg

post-16572-1239145957_thumb.jpg

post-16572-1239145971_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

WOW! Very nice conversion and documentation gothchick, I'm impressed(and a little jealous)! Very thorough and pro, I just hope I can do half as good a job with my conversion. Your sweet S12 conversion and thorough posts tempt me to propose, but your avatar gave me cold feet. ;) I just test-fired my S12 so sadly it's still stock, but I have been scouring this board for months and have MANY ideas about what I want to do with mine, of course I have MANY questions that I still need to ask too.

Oops, I thought this was a new thread but apparently it is one of the many that came up in my many searches. My bad. I'm trying to cram in so much S12 info at once that I get kinda lost in the Saiga sea of information. Oh well, this posts is still an awesome reference for anyone looking for thorough pics and explanations of a well planned and executed conversion.