Factory Magazine Problem

I just got my new Saiga-12 (from Russian American Armory) a few days back and finally had a chance to fire it today. Unfortunately, the factory 5-round magazine does not seat properly. It's as if the pivoting clip on the gun that's suppossed to hold the magazine in, is too long by a 16th of an inch. I examined every part on both the magazine and the gun... it just doesn't fit. I even tried both force and slamming it (both within reason). And it doesn't matter whether the magazine is empty or full.

Any ideas? No posts here on this problem (that I found).

Thanks all.

PatriotMusic

All Saiga's are built to rather loose tolerances at the factory. Helps in the reliability because it allows them to function with all kinds of crud in them. One downside, is that some things like mags, don't fit fresh out of the box. They have to be fitted to the gun, even the mag you get with the gun, was custom fitted at the factory for that gun. Sounds weird I know but, thats just the nature of the beast. Now, it's very easy to fit a mag, all it takes is a little sand paper, a few minutes, and some patience. There's a turtorial in the MD Arms section about how to fit the 20 round Drum. The way you fit it is more or less the same for any mag, so go take a look at it and you should be ready to fix that puppy up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem getting the factory mag to stay in. Tried loading my empty Promag and AGP on a closed bolt and with a bit of force they click right in. I have another factory 5 and it goes in easier but fits nicely with this method too. The factory 5 that came mated to the gun will insert with no effort at all, but the slightest bump will cause the mag to fall out of the gun. Same deal with loading on a open bolt.

Visual inspection shows no real issues on the problem mag, and compared to the other factory 5 I can't see any difference.

Any ideas?

From what everyone here is saying, the loose-fitting tolerances of the Saiga-12 explain these sorts of problems. I bought it and had to immediately ship it back for repair, and I haven't gotten it back yet. Apparently, they make the repairs quickly and so far, I'm impressed with the two companies (Russian-American seems to have very good customer service. Their authorized repair company is Cadiz Gun Works in Ohio. And they're very nice people)

On the other hand, while some call these loose-fitting specs an advantage, I still call it bad quality control on the part of the Russian factory. The factory mag that mine came with didn't even fit. It's kind of reminescent of Microsoft calling the problems with their Operating Systems "features".

For what it's worth though, Russian-American suggested I ask Cadiz Gun Works to give it a once-over, paying particular attention to both the magazine holding clip (which is why I sent it in), and the gas port system. Apperently, a large number of recent Saiga-12s within a range of serial numbers have gas port issues. Crappy QC on the part of the Russians, but good service by RA and Cadiz Gun Works.

Hopefully, in a few weeks, it will all work out.

Hopefully, in a few weeks, it will all work out.

I'm sure it will. From what I've seen and heard RAAC and Cadiz are both top notch.

My recent run 3 port gun has a very poorly fitting magazine also. I had to rock it hard to get it to lock, and once locked I had to use both hands to get it out. There were several reasons for this. The release lever too long, the release lever pin placed too high, the inside of the receiver was squeezing the mag, the mag lips seemed to be a bit wide and was hanging up on the bottom of the receiver preventing it from coming out.

The 2 factory mags that I have with my early last year run 4 port gun simple will not lock into this years 3 port gun. All of my AGPs and Surefires fit fine now and come out fine now after I performed some filing on the questionable areas of the 3 port gun.

Anyhow, stay calm and try not to sweat it too hard. I know it sucks dropping twice as much as a mossberg on a gun only to find flaws, but honestly the flaws are well known by the people you have working on it, they aren't going to charge you anything, and it's going to run better than you can imagine once they are through.

Yeah, I know about the loose tolerances, just part of Russian industrial manufacturing I suppose. My S12 is a CGW conversion, so I am confident everything was checked out before I got it. Only had the gun a week, and kind of worried that I might have screwed something up on my end practicing rock and lock with empty mags. Oh well, as long as my 10 rounders fit it's cool I guess.....

Edited by Jpanzer