Best Gear For Cleaning Your S12?

I was just wondering what the seasoned guys on here like to use on their (other :haha: )pride and joy when it comes cleaning time.

I personally like to use a boresnake, CLP, and brass brushes available from welding supply shops. The area that seems to be the most difficult to clean is the gas tube.

What do you guys like, and why? :unsure:

Smg tactial has a front gas block kit oyt with a stainless brush to put in a drill and a pick to clean out the gas ports.

All comes in a handy carry tube.

I got one of those kits from CSS here. The storage tube is a little bigger than it needs to be, and you might need a right angle drill attachment if you have a raised front sight like I do, but it's a good brush and the double-ended pick is perfect for the gas ports.

I use a 20 ga. brush and a some love to clean that motherfucker out. If you guys aren't using Tromixs lube you need to pick some up. That shit is awesome and after getting a bottle I haven't used anything else. I've used alot of different lubes, being in the military I thought CLP was gods gift to lube, well the stuff that Tromix has is better. Give it a shot.

I use a 20 ga. brush and a some love to clean that motherfucker out. If you guys aren't using Tromixs lube you need to pick some up. That shit is awesome and after getting a bottle I haven't used anything else. I've used alot of different lubes, being in the military I thought CLP was gods gift to lube, well the stuff that Tromix has is better. Give it a shot.

Which site sponsor has the Tromix lube?

I was/am under the same impression as you with CLP, LOL! I used to have a tube of grease that we lubed the .50 cal's up with, but it is long gone.

Which site sponsor has the Tromix lube?

I was/am under the same impression as you with CLP, LOL! I used to have a tube of grease that we lubed the .50 cal's up with, but it is long gone.

Try giving Tromix a call or I believe Mississippi Auto Arms has it.

I jamb a stainless 12ga brush up her gas tube rough and DRY! And use ScotchBrite on the piston DRY. Then clean the blind plug threads and their female counterpart in the gas tube with a brass $ store brush and put a THIN coat of anti-seeze on the male thread ONLY. I put it back together wit the gas tube and piston dry. If things are real cruddy I use laquer thinner. It seems to dissolve powder residue without leaving behind any film that would burn and screw things up.

The bore gets a brass brush and Hoppes #9, A mop of the same and a patch to dry it, then a wet-ish patch of Mobil 1, leave a good film. All metal parts brushed or wiped and then wiped with the oil patch from the bore. Mobil 1 on the FCG, and a little anti-seeze on the rails and the nub on the bolt that works in the bolt carrier to rotate the bolt. The locking recesses in the front trunnion MUST be clean and have the dryest oil film I can, as should the locking lugs on the bolt.

You can get away with a lot less, but I like to keep my stuff in nice shape. Well maintained it should last for generations.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old-ish thread, but I just came across this "Tornado" brush.

10663.jpg

Man, what a difference this thing makes when trying to get the lead out...of the bore :haha:

Anyhow, I always have a tough time trying to clean my bore after a trip to the range and ~100 slugs. I never shot that many slugs in 10 years out of my other shotguns. Just shot shells for bird hunting. Because of this, I never had the build up of lead in a barrel like I do in my S12. This brush makes all the difference when trying to get it nice and shinny again.

Hope this helps out some other guys that may have the same OCD tendencies as I do, LOL!