AGP mag question

They used Tromix floor plates for the AGP's. MAA is sold out (I think they carried them) and no more are being made, I believe. The Surefire's use their own floor plate. Corbin posted a video on cutting the Surefire's.

I couldnt find the plates when I previously looked. I think Tromix quit having the AGP plates made last Fall or so - guess they just didnt sell enough to warrant continuation.

I noticed that SaigaTechUSA has started making a cutdown plate for AGPs but they are $25 or so I believe. As always, he machines really nice products but thats a pretty big expense per mag (to me anyways).

To make an 8rd AGP you're looking at a minimum starting at $75 plus S&H for each mag. It kinda makes you start thinking about the factory 8 rounders - depedning on what your use/needs are.

HarvKY

The Surefire's seem to be the most efficient way to get an 8 rounder. Personally, I think they are ugly as sin, but they serve their purpose. If ProMag has kept their eye on this board, they would have added another "step" on their 10 rounder to make an eight. Why anyone would cut a PM down to five rounds is beyond me when the Korean mags can be had for $20.

I may be picking up a couple factory 8s in the future. They are damn fine pieces of work.

Sorry for the newbie question, but why reduce the capacity of your mags?

Its mainly a personal preference issue, and what exactly the shooter is using their Saiga 12 for can also be a factor. There is certainly nothing wrong with the 10 and 12 round magazines, and they are great for the range and shooting competitions, but they are also pretty long (a 10 round Saiga 12 magazine is roughly equivalent in length to a 45 round 5.45 x 39 AK rifle magazine) and so make a Saiga 12 bulkier to handle. With a shorter magazine a Saiga 12 is easier to maneuver indoors, to get in and out of vehicles with, to fire from the prone position, etc., and so many shooters feel that shorter magazines, like the 8 rounders, are better for all round use or more serious tasks like home/self defense.

Edited by Frogfoot