Some better pics of my new Arsenal SGL20

Here are some better pics of my new SGL20 rifle. It came with a matching plum standard AK pistol grip, but I replaced that with a CAA pg yesterday and I'm too lazy to put it back on just for pictures:

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

newsgl20pics009.th.jpg

newsgl20pics010.th.jpg

newsgl20pics011.th.jpg

newsgl20pics013.th.jpg

newsgl20pics014.th.jpg

newsgl20pics016.th.jpg

newsgl20pics020.th.jpg

newsgl20pics021.th.jpg

newsgl20pics022.th.jpg

newsgl20pics024.th.jpg

newsgl20pics033.th.jpg

newsgl20pics032.th.jpg

newsgl20pics034.th.jpg

newsgl20pics037.th.jpg

sgl20010.th.jpg

It's the highest quality AK I've ever personally handled.. perfect fit and finish. And of course, she's accurate as hell. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. And btw, in case anyone is still wondering, Lancasters blow goats in comparison.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
Here are some better pics of my new SGL20 rifle. It came with a matching plum standard AK pistol grip, but I replaced that with a CAA pg yesterday and I'm too lazy to put it back on just for pictures:

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

It's the highest quality AK I've ever personally handled.. perfect fit and finish. And of course, she's accurate as hell. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. And btw, in case anyone is still wondering, Lancasters blow goats in comparison.

Thanks for posting, the unit look great! You should get the German "Zig-Zag" 74 brake for it though. Copes has them. :smoke:

Edited by bigsal

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

Thanks for posting, the unit look great! You should get the German "Zig-Zag" 74 brake for it though. Copes has them. :smoke:

Not a bad idea, sal. The brake that's in the pics is some combloc milsurp brake I picked up for $19, (came complete with ancient cosmoline!). It definitely reduces recoil, but the finish is pretty rough, including the threads. Interestingly it was pretty tight when I installed it, but after putting 30 rounds through it, it has a bit of wobble. Not enough to impede the path of the bullet of course, but it annoys me. I s'pose I could fix it with a crush washer but for ~$40 I'd rather pick up a brake that's just plain higher quality.

One question though sal.. will that brake you've linked to on Cope's work with 7.62x39 rifles? The item description only mentions AK74....

I like Plum......

I bet you do Jugg, since your namesake sports plum from head to toe. ;)

I chose plum because it's more interesting than matte black furniture or od green.. and I plan to keep the plum handguards rather than swapping them out for rails etc. In case it wasn't clear in the pics, I also chose the NATO length stock.. as I have big ol orangutan arms and it's a more comfortable LOP for me. Of course I will be swapping that out for a collapsible T6 but /shrug.

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

Not a bad idea, sal. The brake that's in the pics is some combloc milsurp brake I picked up for $19, (came complete with ancient cosmoline!). It definitely reduces recoil, but the finish is pretty rough, including the threads. Interestingly it was pretty tight when I installed it, but after putting 30 rounds through it, it has a bit of wobble. Not enough to impede the path of the bullet of course, but it annoys me. I s'pose I could fix it with a crush washer but for ~$40 I'd rather pick up a brake that's just plain higher quality.

One question though sal.. will that brake you've linked to on Cope's work with 7.62x39 rifles? The item description only mentions AK74....

Yeah I believe so. The sgl-20 has 24x1.5 threads right? If not, there is an adaptor thats available. Incidentally, there is a slight difference between the "zig-zag" and "half-moon" design, the general consensus (as I understand it) is that the zig zag design reduces recoil slightly better. However, take that worth a grain of salt, as Ive only owned zig zag and never formally compared them. :smoke:

Yep, it's got 24x1.5mm RH threads, no adapter necessary. That brake on Copes looks like it's large enough for a 7.62x39 bullet to pass through, and it really would be stupid to make that brake in two seperate calibers, as they're pretty damn close. Anyway, thanks for the link, sal.. now I find myself spending ~$150 on Copes' site, (gotta make every online purchase "worth it" y'know ;) ). I was considering buying Arsenal's brake, but they're pretty proud of it and want $80. I'll definitely go east german instead. :up:

Yep, it's got 24x1.5mm RH threads, no adapter necessary. That brake on Copes looks like it's large enough for a 7.62x39 bullet to pass through, and it really would be stupid to make that brake in two seperate calibers, as they're pretty damn close. Anyway, thanks for the link, sal.. now I find myself spending ~$150 on Copes' site, (gotta make every online purchase "worth it" y'know ;) ). I was considering buying Arsenal's brake, but they're pretty proud of it and want $80. I'll definitely go east german instead. :up:

Dinzag has the same break. That's where I got my east german.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

Yeah they cost less and copes is good people.... Plus like you I allways end up spending too much on their site :ded:

Merritt: Brian at Dinzag is good people as well, don't get me wrong...but copes is usually less expencive. :dollar::dollar::dollar:

Very sweet rifle. I have to say if I were more affluent, I would have either chosen the SGL instead of the Saiga factory 7.62. Or, maybe I would try to get a Poly Teck legend or stamped AKS with folding spike bayonet loke I used to have. Those are now running more than the Arsenal!

Very sweet rifle. I have to say if I were more affluent, I would have either chosen the SGL instead of the Saiga factory 7.62. Or, maybe I would try to get a Poly Teck legend or stamped AKS with folding spike bayonet loke I used to have. Those are now running more than the Arsenal!

I wouldn't regret my decision if I were you, imarangemaster. The differences between the SGL20, (or SGL10), and a factory Saiga 7.62 are largely cosmetic. The main reasons I bought the SGL20 instead are that it's a joint effort between Legion and Arsenal Inc, which I thought might yeild a slightly better fit and build and I wanted a rifle already well-converted, with all the military features in place such as bayo lug and barrel threads. I didn't want to buy a project, but I still wanted a newly produced Russian semi-auto AK. I have my project gun in the Saiga 12, (which just costs too damn much and takes too damn long to have professionally converted these days).

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

Isn't that break only for 5.45 rifles?

I like Plum......

I bet you do Jugg, since your namesake sports plum from head to toe. ;)

I chose plum because it's more interesting than matte black furniture or od green.. and I plan to keep the plum handguards rather than swapping them out for rails etc. In case it wasn't clear in the pics, I also chose the NATO length stock.. as I have big ol orangutan arms and it's a more comfortable LOP for me. Of course I will be swapping that out for a collapsible T6 but /shrug.

You got good taste!

my .308

My308.jpg

^ Oooooh, I like! :up: If I were going to buy another Saiga, it'd definitely be a .308. Unfortunately I don't exactly have the cash atm.. probably spent about $2k on weapons and ammo over the last 2 months, which, unfortunately, is a lot for me.

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

Hope not!!! Roger has an account over on theakforum Ill PM him.

:cryss:

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

Well, I mean it specifically says "for AK-74 rifles"...

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

So does the description for the brake I currently have on the rifle, (from combathunting.com). It works just fine for 7.62. I tend to suspect that "AK74" muzzle brakes, unless they are sold with a 5.45 rifle, will work with either 7.62 or 5.45. It'd be much easier to produce a brake big enough for both calibers.

We'll see, though. When the east german "AK74" brake arrives, if it's too small for 7.62's, I'll send it back. I think it'll work just fine, and it certainly looks like higher quality than the "AK74" brake I have now.

newsgl20pics008.th.jpg

So does the description for the brake I currently have on the rifle, (from combathunting.com). It works just fine for 7.62. I tend to suspect that "AK74" muzzle brakes, unless they are sold with a 5.45 rifle, will work with either 7.62 or 5.45. It'd be much easier to produce a brake big enough for both calibers.

We'll see, though. When the east german "AK74" brake arrives, if it's too small for 7.62's, I'll send it back. I think it'll work just fine, and it certainly looks like higher quality than the "AK74" brake I have now.

Ive got a zig zag brake (thats not german on mine), so maybe the bullet clears on that one.

Post-AP.

You're probably right about the Arsenal being superior to the Poly Tech. I LOVE my Saiga, and the fit and finish is pretty awesome for an AK> Saigas sure shoot better! When I had the 223 Saiga, it outshot my M4 I used to have. The 223 Saiga was 2 MOA. Also, the Saiga steel is TOUGH!

Anyway, sweet piece. I may have to replicate it the slow way, piece by piece from Dinzag when I can afford it.

Here are a couple pics of my SGL20 with Tapco T6 collapsible stock installed, also pics of her alongside the Rock River M4:

m4fnpistolak018.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak017.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak016.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak015.th.jpg

oh wtf, take that tapco crap off. :ded: :ded: :ded:

Sure, soon as you send me a couple hundred dollars for a better collapsible stock. :P I installed the Tapco stock cause that's what I bought a few months ago, originally for a GP WASR 10/63 that I have since sold. I couldn't return it, so why not use it?

That is a beauty of a rifle! As for the Tapco stock, I hear all this crapco stuff to. So I took mine out to the old locust tree and 20 buttstrokes later no problems. I think they just don't cost enough for some people. :rolleyes: That said, it's just begging for a plum 100 series sidefolder IMO.

so why not use it?

because the quality is questionable at best...

you have a really nice rifle and to see that stock on it is kind of blah.. but hey if YOU like it.. thats all that matters..

Well, I'm using it for now, really because I already own it. I still have a lot of stuff to buy in the next 1-2 months that is higher priority than another stock for the SGL20. After I've got all the 7.62 ammo, mags, and accessories for my S-12 that I want, I'll think about buying a replacement stock for the SGL20. In the meantime I'll get to see how well this Tapco stock holds up.

On a related note, what is the general opinion when it comes to the CAA collapsible stock? I'm willing to spend a little more on a stock after my other priorities are taken care of, but I don't want to spend $200+.

That is a beauty of a rifle! As for the Tapco stock, I hear all this crapco stuff to. So I took mine out to the old locust tree and 20 buttstrokes later no problems. I think they just don't cost enough for some people. :rolleyes: That said, it's just begging for a plum 100 series sidefolder IMO.

Thanks man. I think she's damn purdy too. She performs amazingly well also. This SGL20's the finest made and smoothest operating AK I've ever personally handled, much less owned. I'm very happy I made the choice to go with this model. Her parts are perfectly fitted and very high quality, as well as mil-spec in every respect other than selective fire. I really appreciate the 24x1.5mm RH threaded barrel, forward mounted bayo lug, and perfect dimples. She's got zero mag wobble, even with beat-up combloc steel mags, and her irons are dead-on, with a perfectly centered front sight. I could praise her for pages and pages.. and several of my friends who have Yugo/Romanian/Chinese AK's are now seriously envious of my beautiful Russian after examining and firing her. :lol:

Your suggestion of a AK100 sidefolder merits some consideration. :unsure:

I'll have to give it some thought.. as of course she'd look great with more plum! :D

Here are a couple pics of my SGL20 with Tapco T6 collapsible stock installed, also pics of her alongside the Rock River M4:

m4fnpistolak018.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak017.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak016.th.jpg

m4fnpistolak015.th.jpg

oh wtf, take that tapco crap off. :ded: :ded: :ded:

Sure, soon as you send me a couple hundred dollars for a better collapsible stock. :P I installed the Tapco stock cause that's what I bought a few months ago, originally for a GP WASR 10/63 that I have since sold. I couldn't return it, so why not use it?

Its uber tacky and doesn't belong on an AK.