Subject: [WWII] Re: personal weapons in the war zones

>

>> Battlefield pickup rifles in W.W.II, like other war souvenirs,

> actually

>> were subject to a process by which they could be declared surplus to

> the

>> government and disposed of to the soldier wanting them. This is not

> to

>> say that happened to all battlefield pickups, but it did occur.

>>

>

> During WW II, all captured enemy material was considered property of the

> US Government. A soldier wanting to take something home was required to

> get clearance from a local intelligence officer. Weapons I assume had to

> be cleared by the Provost Marshal and machine guns had to rendered

> in-operative, at the time called a DEWAT.

>

> During the 1960's, in the wake of the JFK assassination, the DEWAT

> program was discontinued. During the Vietnam conflict, weapons and

> anything else had to be cleared by an intelligence officer whose name

> was registered in MACV Hq. Provost Marshal. Usually all the Technical

> Intelligence officers and someone in the Division Intelligence section.

> In addition, weapons had to be registered with the Provost Marshal in

> Saigon. They filled out a temporary export license and usually held

> their copy for 60 days and then destroyed it. Certain select people (The

> technical intel officers at CMEC) could get an actual Government of

> South Vietnam export license. During Vietnam, only bolt action rifles

> and pistols could be brought back as war trophies. In the spring of

> 1968, the semi automatic SKS's were allowed as war trophies.

>

> During WW II, you could send home all you could get, pack and ship.

> During Vietnam, you could only take home 2 weapons and they had to be

> carried on the airplane with you. Still, there were enterprising people

> who managed to bring back illegal weapons.

>

> Bill Howard

I would say its grandfathered in.....

It was here LONG before any of the bans were in existance... and he was the legal owner...

he is STILL the legal owner.....

should be THAT SIMPLE....

( maybe its not... but I would think so...)

:smoke:

Guest Guest_dodgeturbointerceptor

Sounds good. I didn't even want to ask here.........but i figured you would give me the straight and arrow.

And.. my dad is okay. ;) Thank God carotid arteries were swollen but not destroyed in his throat.

And yes the NVA reg is dead. And the picture of him isn't pretty. 4rds of 7.62x51 from an M14 to the body, and brainpan does make a mess of a 140lb human.

In the NVA kids defense. He got the drop on my pops. Both walking point near Chu Lai. My dad is traipsing through the grassland near jungle...looks up into the frightened eyes of a young NVA. Dad says about 10m between. Both do nothing. Just stare. Both weapons at the patrol-low position. My dad said he was afraid to move almost. When my dad heard , and then saw, the next NVA in line in the patrol. My father raised his M-14. The NVA kid was quicker. And shot my dad in the throat. As my dad fell he pulled the trigger on his M-14 full auto. And it walked from 5 feet in front of NVA pointman up into his body and over his head. My dad lay where he was hit while his Army squad(13 men) fought the rest of the firefight which I am told didn't last long. 2 NVA...1 WIA US soldier....my dad. :angel: The rest diddi mowed out of there. He told me it was like someone branded his neck. Thats it. I have really good photos of entire day. Combat cameraman was on that patrol. It wasn't supposed to be likely that any contact would happen that close to a rear camp. But that is what roving patrols are for. Cool pics of dressings on my dads neck and throat with my dad sitting there with a cigarette on his lip out side of mouth..medic working on him....dude thought he was fucking James Dean or something :super:

This weapon is what I think of when I think of my dad. How he wouldn't tell me anything about his service my whole life pretty much until I was a Marine. How he never boasted/told war stories. Just answered basic questions. And I know why he was kind of upset about me as a kid rifling through his old pictures and stuff. Truthfully. My dad says the only thing from the Army that means anything to him are his CIB(combat infantrymans badge) a purple heart, and his bronze star. As I know the Gallantry, and Intrepidity that is embodied in the few men that I've known to warrant these awards. He is my Hero. And this SKS will hold more wealth for my family, my sons, than monetary funds could bring. I am nothing, and own nothing, that compares to the men of my fathers lifetime at war.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to mislead you all. I had no idea how to remotely ask about this. My father could care less about the "trophies". I myself am profoundly moved by what my father did. And just wanted to know if my family would lose this weapon somehow in his passing. He suffered a brain aneurism. And for those of you that know anyone trying to recover from a brain trauma know. It is hard. All that is important in life. My fathers memories, i.e. pictures, sheriffs duty pistol, badges, and weapons will be passed to me. He knew me enough to know I'd hang em up proundly. I just didn't know what to do with it. The last thing I would like to think about after a tradjedy is legal bullshit. I just want to hang mementos proudly where they belong. For all to see.

Thanks Pops.