Lot of SKS knowledge around these parts....

Sure (if it is in the country). It is treated just as another SKS legally.

For that matter, other than the lack of importer's marks, there is NOTHING that indicates it as a "war trophy"...even if it is.

Accordingly, if it is sans FORMAL documentation of it being a bring back from 'Nam (gained at THAT time), it can really have no unique status or value associated with that notion -anyone trying to attach such W/O DOCUMENTATION is either a IDIOT or attempting a little HOODWINK...trying to get more out of a gun than it merits.

If it is one of those "sentimental value" things, may I make a recommendation?DON'T pay the monetary toll that other people's feelings are the given basis for requiring...it's a FOOL'S ERRAND.

That's the truth.

Lollygagger :unsure: (This is hard learned basic "gunocology".)

Edited by lollygagger
The discussion isn't about buying this sks.

Discussion is on legality. It certainly would never be for sale.

Just wondering what happens when it's "discovered"/or used/or whatever....estate sale....so on

And how do you verify date, authenticity of Chinese SKS's?

It's here (in the country) -meaning, importation is not a issue involved in it's legality.

It is allowable for civilian ownership -as any standard SKS is.

It's LEGAL within the understood enabling context of the 1968 GCA (gun control act).

It's LEGAL if you are using it (not to rob, rape & cause mayhem).

It is LEGAL if it is not in use, taking a nap and whatever.

Regarding it's SALE (everything gets something like sold sooner or later, trust me): It is transacted privately or "on paper" like ANYOTHER firearm -why wouldn't it?

As for as it's year of production, I recommend that you search the simonov.net site for such -it can explain it well.

This described firearm has no unique conditions concerning it's ownership....

I've had SEVERAL in the past & arms under similar circumstances.

Lollygagger :unsure: ( I feel you are "over-thinking" on this!)

if its made after uncle sam serial #'d things and does not have a serial # on it, you might have a problem with it. probably not though. also, some of those war trophy sks's are FA or have a selector on them. I knew someone (dead now) with one he brought back from vietnam. I dont think he really cared if it was legal or not. his widow did have to forfeit it when he died, however.

Thats interesting, I just had this conversation with a guy at work who brought back his M16/AR15 from Nam. I offered to swap out the parts for him to go to semi auto, but he is a little wary of taking it to the range. He told me that it is wrapped in burlap and stuffed in the space under a loose floorboard in his basement...... lol

its govt. property, so just swapping the parts isnt going to do it. there are marking defining that gun as an NFA prohibited weapon. further, to just swap the parts out is to "remake a machinegun into a semi automatic firearm" and is only allowed to be done legally by a properly licensed smith.

what he could do is this:

he could go buy a colt lower that was registered rebuilt, or one of any of a number of other lowers and get the conversion pin that he will need, and use his mil upper on it. that would save him some money on an AR.

if its made after uncle sam serial #'d things and does not have a serial # on it, you might have a problem with it. probably not though. also, some of those war trophy sks's are FA or have a selector on them. I knew someone (dead now) with one he brought back from vietnam. I dont think he really cared if it was legal or not. his widow did have to forfeit it when he died, however.

Errr...

That (the serial number thing) mostly relates to sporting arms that were pre-'68...and were actually alot older than that.

ALL SKS's (and all military modern military cartridge arms) have ser. no's -or did before somebody removed them (quite illegal, by the way).

The SKS, while it COULD be made FA (ONLY -not select, at least not easily...the Somali's did this)...they were NOT produced this way.

What is often thought to be a full auto/select fire SKS -is really a type 68 chinese rifle or one of it's varients. These LOOK like a SKS -but really are a mating of SKS & AK features -they have rotating bolts rather than the SKS dropping bolt, detachable magazines & adjustable gas systems among other differences.

Any FULL AUTO SKS, or attempt to make one so, would most likely be a BUBBA special job. Meaning: illegal, unsafe and STUPID!

Lollygagger :unsure: (Remember! With SKS's -there was not a ANECDOTAL model!)

Thanks Bvamp, didn't know that. I will give him better advice Monday. I doubt it will change his method of use and storage on this rifle though. I believe it has been tucked away for a very, very long time. He asked me if I could "de-mill" it for him. Any legal thoughts on that?

It looks just like any SKS? but thats what they said in WI :rolleyes:

It has a hinged mag.holds like 8 rds or something. i didn't load it. Not detachable mag though. There is like 1 screw holding the hinged mag thing on. It looks exactly like an "AK type"9dont shoot me :rolleyes: ) receiver. top receiver plate. recoil spring and bolt carrier. It has the under folding front bayonet that looks like a sword. what else?...umm. i dunno. It s got a triangle on it. I forgot what was in the triangle.......it doesn't have select fire anywhere on it. oh yeah. it had serial numbers. not filed. I promise it came from Vietnam. But how to check on the history?

it had some sort of lever that went behing the trigger so it wouldn't fire.....um...

thats about it. If I go back soon. I check the rest out.

What should I look for? other than what i said above?

Errr..."sword"?

You guys are NOT SKS guys, are ya'?

Course not, you are S-A-I-G-A guys!!!

It's a run-o-the mill SKS...pretty darn sure.

Lollygagger :unsure: ( The "triangle" is actually a oriental game called: "find the capitalist running dogs and their lackeys".) Go search the SIMONOV net...like I said!

Edited by lollygagger
  • 3 months later...

Saiga owners can also be SKS owners and why not?? Both use the same 7.62x39 round. Yugo SKS shooter's grade can be gotten for around $99 which is less than a Ruger 10/22 but with a lot more kick.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Edited by uzitiger