25% Reduced Power Mainspring for All Saiga and AK variants

I have a Saiga .223 and I am planning on upgrading the FCG.

I have come across a web site for Carolina Shooters Supply that offers a reduced power mainspring. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=6a2495ab

The company claims: "Dramatically smoothes and improves bolt cycling, lightens trigger pull and decreases lock time of the fire control group."

In all my reading through Saiga conversion forums, I have not seen anyone mention using these. Are these the real deal or is it just snake oil they are trying to sell?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Joe

I have come across a web site for Carolina Shooters Supply that offers a reduced power mainspring. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=6a2495ab

The company claims: "Dramatically smoothes and improves bolt cycling, lightens trigger pull and decreases lock time of the fire control group."

In all my reading through Saiga conversion forums, I have not seen anyone mention using these. Are these the real deal or is it just snake oil they are trying to sell?

Joe

I bought one as a backup to the factory one. I installed it with Tromix FCG and while one leg kept popping off during handcycling, when I went to the range, it worked really well. I went through 45 rounds with no issues. I had not tested it side by side with the factory one - in terms of trigger pull, etc, so I can't really comment on that.

I've got one on one of my S12's. Using a polished self made short throw FCG the spring reduced the trigger pull from the 3-4lb range, to just below 2lbs of pull as measured with a digital fish scale. It also has to put less pressure on the hammer riding the bolt carrier. For the price, I'd say it's worth it.

If I had it to do all over again I would use it. It works well for me. Although I would suggest you complete that transformation of your FCG and the polishing of the workings as I believe all the parts optimized and working in unison take the gun to a higher level. So in short do it to it! Inexpensive tweak.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe

I bought one as a backup to the factory one. I installed it with Tromix FCG and while one leg kept popping off during handcycling, when I went to the range, it worked really well. I went through 45 rounds with no issues. I had not tested it side by side with the factory one - in terms of trigger pull, etc, so I can't really comment on that.

I have since learned from this very board to bend the offending spring leg outwards and it solves the problem. This problem of the spring leg popping off is quite common from what I hear and much easier solved with this spring than the factory one. Now I switched the factory as the backup and JT Engineering is the main workhorse.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the reduced mainspring and recoil spring in my Saiga 12. Definitely makes a difference. Lighter trigger pull, smoother action and better reliability with cheap bulk ammo. I also have the Gunfixer adjustable plug as well. All this isn't needed for heavier rounds, but I mainly shoot bulk ammo.

Corbin